Introduce Yourselves:

Excellent advice. Thank you. So basically, the only recurring costs would be the e-juice and the coils? I'm surprised at how cheap those are - basically R50 a pop. :O. If I use one bottle of e-juice per week, and replace the coil twice a month, that should work out at around R400 - R500 per month. (Assuming I buy liquid from Vapeking at R80 a bottle.) Can you explain to me the difference between a 1ohm and 0.5 ohm coil?

Excellent advice. Thank you. So basically, the only recurring costs would be the e-juice and the coils? I'm surprised at how cheap those are - basically R50 a pop. :O. If I use one bottle of e-juice per week, and replace the coil twice a month, that should work out at around R400 - R500 per month. (Assuming I buy liquid from Vapeking at R80 a bottle.) Can you explain to me the difference between a 1ohm and 0.5 ohm coil?

Hi @SirSlothXCI , you are right in your thinking except that your thinking assumes you dont try out new juices and find the juice you love straight away. It can take some time to sample and find a few great juices.

As for the coils, one sometimes gets a "dud" coil with commercial coils. So you toss that one and try the next one.

Then your thinking also assumes you stay on the same device and dont try others. There are loads of vaping devices each with their own pros and cons and one has to find something that meets your needs.

The 1 ohm coil is "less powerful" than the 0.5 ohm coil. The 0.5 ohm uses thicker wire and better suited for higher power, which produces a more intense vape with more clouds, more throat hit and more juice consumption.

You need to try them ouy and see what works best for you

Vaping CAN work out cheaper than smoking, but for many of us on this forum it doesn't. For many people vaping turns into more of a hobby than simply a means to quit smoking, and CUD (Compulsive Upgrade Disorder) and FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) are serious afflictions that run rampant amongst the vaping community :--) (Check out, amongst others, the "Bumpedy Bump Vape Mail" thread for a graphic illustration of these conditions).

But yes, if you aren't stricken with the above, your only recurring costs would be juice and coils and your expenses could be as low as stated above.

The difference between the 1 ohm (higher ohm) coils and the 0.5 ohm (lower ohm) coils would be more or less as described in Section 2 here: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/14-ohms-law-explained-for-vapers.6293/

Nizaam here :)
Off the stink stuff for about 3 months and fell off the wagon once due to curiosity. Started off by twisping and sorry to say it, but it just didn't go down very well. A good friend then introduced me to his setup and I fell in love...
Currently in my hand I have a very basic setup Eleaf Istick 30w with Kangertech subtank mini (bought it from a fellow forum member, thanks Grant). Started building my own coils and thus far I am happy with what I have and haven't touched a stinky again.
I am finding this forum very informative and check it out for good deals as soon as I walk into the office LOL.

Here's to a good and happy future for Ecigssa

Good evening Vapers!

My name is Alexander. I used to smoke about a packet of stinkies a day, started December 2014 with a Twisp Clearo ecig, used it for about 6 months, then fell off the wagon for a while, sold my Clearo and upgraded to the Twisp Aero in December 2015, and haven't had a stinky yet .... and then the Vape bug really bit me, got myself a eLeaf Istick 60watt in February 2016 with the Joyetech TronS, and loving it. All started off to get off the stinkies, but also became a hobby now, lol. Started mixing my own juices recently, so that is trial and error for me at this point in time, next step for me will be playing around and building my own coils, RDA & Mech Mod, but i'm in no rush, enjoying the Vaping Experience. This Forum Rocks!! Thanks, you all are doing an awesome job!

Last edited:
Welcome @Nizaam, @Alexander Scott and the horde of other new members.

Glad to see that most are already off the stinkies or well on their way to kicking the habit. This is indeed a pastime that quickly turns into a hobby of note for most enthusiasts. You end up collecting vape gear, little blue screwdrivers, all kinds of weird and wonderful empty bottles of varying sizes and you end up with a boatload of new acquaintances and friends.
I hope you enjoy everything this forum and it's awesome community has to offer.

Good evening Vapers!

My name is Alexander. I used to smoke about a packet of stinkies a day, started December 2014 with a Twisp Clearo ecig, used it for about 6 months, then fell off the wagon for a while, sold my Clearo and upgraded to the Twisp Aero in December 2015, and haven't had a stinky yet .... and then the Vape bug really bit me, got myself a eLeaf Istick 60watt in February 2016 with the Joyetech TronS, and loving it. All started off to get off the stinkies, but also became a hobby now, lol. Started mixing my own juices recently, so that is trial and error for me at this point in time, next step for me will be playing around and building my own coils, RDA & Mech Mod, but i'm in no rush, enjoying the Vaping Experience. This Forum Rocks!! Thanks, you all are doing an awesome job!

Welcome @Alexander Scott
Thanks for the intro and congrats on the vaping and kicking the stinkies
Keep it up, you doing great!
Enjoy yoir stay here and feel free to ask questions as you go a long.

Welcome to all the new members (Can't keep up with this thread) Ecigssa is a great place for information and products, or just a cool spot to hang out

Hi All,

Smoking vape for about 2 months. Finding it difficult to let go of cigarettes completely...went down to about 1 or 2 a day which I don't need but just smoke.
Had the eleaf I stick two but just upgraded to a cuboid. Gonna look for a new atty soon as well.

Based in JHB and hoping to see you guys around at the vape meets

Hi Guys,

Been a smoker for 30 odd years...

tried the pills, the gums the patches...

Then bought a e-cig, the lookalikes, the early twisps with cartridges...

Bought the first twisp refillable..

Then the latest twisp aeros etc.

I always found that being a 40 cigs a day smoker to be a huge problem with all of the above vapes, none gave me the quit sensation, or the feeling that i was free...

but, i am not ready to give up yet, despite having a drawerfull of twisps and parts, i am now considering ordering a kangertech nebox.

i will kick this thing in the ass... its just a matter to me of finding that setup that gives me what i need to feel that it is working.

Hi Guys,

I always found that being a 40 cigs a day smoker to be a huge problem with all of the above vapes, none gave me the quit sensation, or the feeling that i was free...

but, i am not ready to give up yet, despite having a drawerfull of twisps and parts, i am now considering ordering a kangertech nebox.

i will kick this thing in the ass... its just a matter to me of finding that setup that gives me what i need to feel that it is working.

Good morning @Hardtail1969

Welcome to the forum!

I like your attitude! The determination to quit above all else. I can only imagine trying to fix 30 years of a habit, that's longer than I have been alive!

I look forward to seeing you here on the forum :)

Hi @Hardtail1969

Welcome to the forum! Good to have you here. Well done on the perseverance and it definitely is a lot easier to quit when you have the right equipment. I have not tried the Kangertech Nebox myself, but I know that there are a number of members on the forum that are happy with theirs. Perhaps also consider the Kangertech Topbox Mini kit and the Joyetech Evic VTC Mini Cubis kit. All three of those kits should be a huge improvement on the equipment that you've tried up to thus far and should pay for themselves in health benefits (vaping is also a lot more fun than smoking when you find the right equipment and juices) in no time.

Also make sure that you find the right e-liquids for your tastes. A good idea would be to check out the e-liquid reviews on the forum to see which flavors sounds appealing to you.

All the best!

Welcome @Hardtail1969

Keep at it. i was a 25 year smoker, 3 years ago. You can beat it. I have a Nebox, I wouldn't suggest it as your first mod. As stated above Topbox or VTC Mini are great starter devices, and pocket friendly. Another device that is smaller than the mods, and still gives a great vape is the iJust2, similar style to the twisp devices, but can take a variety of tanks, as the mod has a 510 connector. When I travel abroad this is my go to device.

dsc_0246-jpg.48765

Gods, but i cannot wait...

My focus is a all in one device, i have had too many issues with bloody twisps and leaks to last a lifetime.
I was a longtime twisp user, and I know how you feel. When you start using the devices you see on this forum, majority of those problems are history.

Gods, but i cannot wait...

My focus is a all in one device, i have had too many issues with bloody twisps and leaks to last a lifetime.

@Hardtail1969 - The one complaint that I have actually seen a number of times with the Nebox is that it tends to leak (not out of the mouthpiece, as the Twisp often does, but rather at the bottom out of the internal tank): 2 Examples, but I have seen more - http://www.ecigssa.co.za/introduce-yourselves.t24/page-319#post-336524
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/kanger-squonkbox.t20249/page-3#post-335950

The Cubis tank is basically leakproof and the Toptank Mini that comes with the Topbox Mini kit would be very unlikely to leak.

Of course, at the end of the day you should get the device that you like and that you're comfortable with. Just a heads up above.

@WARMACHINE - Do you experience leakage with the Nebox?

@Hardtail1969 - The one complaint that I have actually seen a number of times with the Nebox is that it tends to leak (not out of the mouthpiece, as the Twisp often does, but rather at the bottom out of the internal tank): 2 Examples, but I have seen more - http://www.ecigssa.co.za/introduce-yourselves.t24/page-319#post-336524
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/kanger-squonkbox.t20249/page-3#post-335950

The Cubis tank is basically leakproof and the Toptank Mini that comes with the Topbox Mini kit would be very unlikely to leak.

Of course, at the end of the day you should get the device that you like and that you're comfortable with. Just a heads up above.

@WARMACHINE - Do you experience leakage with the Nebox?
I have. If the unit is left standing up over night or in the sun, it will leak. There is too much pressure on the coils wehn standing upright. Normal daily usage it is fine.

Hi Guys,

Most welcome. I agree with all said by the other members above. As a 80 a day smoker I can add that you should start at a highish nicotine level - 18 mg would be a good start, but at least 12 mg.

Here is some more info on the Topbox Mini (actually the Subtank Mini, but the Topbox is just a newer model with the option of temperature control and top filling) - http://www.ecigssa.co.za/intro-to-vaping-the-subox-mini.t12498/

If you prefer a pen style device the Ego AIO is a good option. A vast improvement on the Twisp gear. Here is some more information: http://www.ecigssa.co.za/ego-aio.t20340/

Happy vaping and keep us updated.

@Hardtail1969

I was a 30-40/day smoker for 50-odd years. Yea, I started smoking early, reached the 30/day in early 20's.

Just a tip, if you are not aware of it. Nic absorption by smoking and vaping is very different. With smoking it is primarily by the lungs, with vaping primarily by the mouth and nose. The molecules in vape are considerably larger than those in smoke.

So when vaping a direct inhale to lungs and then direct exhale won't give you the 'nic-kick' that smoking does. And without this nic-kick you'll find it hard to drop the cigs as a heavy smoker. Try let the vape linger in the mouth and exhale through the nose - leisurely. This way you may have an easier time kicking ye olde habit.

I have. If the unit is left standing up over night or in the sun, it will leak. There is too much pressure on the coils wehn standing upright. Normal daily usage it is fine.
Interesting, i have of course tx to youtube, seen this issue, along w a number of fixes for the nebox.

I just like the reviews on youtube for the nebox much more than all the others, plus due to my twisp experiences, i am really not wanting to go and play with tanks and drippers.

I have looked at the others and the only other one that is remotely interesting is the new topbox kanger.

But the price difference!!!

I guess i need to visit a brick and mortar store to actually see and hold the various mods in my hand.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Interesting, i have of course tx to youtube, seen this issue, along w a number of fixes for the nebox.

I just like the reviews on youtube for the nebox much more than all the others, plus due to my twisp experiences, i am really not wanting to go and play with tanks and drippers.

I have looked at the others and the only other one that is remotely interesting is the new topbox kanger.

But the price difference!!!

I guess i need to visit a brick and mortar store to actually see and hold the various mods in my hand.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
The wife has the Kangertech Mini and Nano. She doesn't mess with tanks either. Those devices work hard, but they just work. I would highly recommend them to anyone, beginner or otherwise.

Back