iStick by EleafUS

@Andre, please be so kind as to post where the artist of that graph got his figures from, its in his explanation above the chart on ECF which I cannot seem to find again.

Here on the same thread at ECF is guy with some fancy graphs from his oscilloscope which tell a somewhat different story about the wattage step down ability of this device.

The ECF (Electronic Cigarette Forum) thread is now sitting at 316 pages .. EDIT: I removed my opinion on the popularity of this mod since I am a vendor and it may be construed as punting :)

Further EDIT: (Almost forgot the disclaimer!! )
Disclaimer: I hereby declare that I am a vendor and will be selling the product in question in the near future and therefore my opinion may be biased, even if only subconsciously so.

Last edited:
@Andre, please be so kind as to post where the artist of that graph got his figures from, its in his explanation above the chart on ECF which I cannot seem to find again.

Here on the same thread at ECF is guy with some fancy graphs from his oscilloscope which tell a somewhat different story about the wattage step down ability of this device.

The ECF (Electronic Cigarette Forum) thread is now sitting at 316 pages .. EDIT: I removed my opinion on the popularity of this mod since I am a vendor and it may be construed as punting :)

Further EDIT: (Almost forgot the disclaimer!! )
Disclaimer: I hereby declare that I am a vendor and will be selling the product in question in the near future and therefore my opinion may be biased, even if only subconsciously so.
Ah, thanks for looking into this. Most of it is above my pay grade. Have tried to make some sense of it. Any clarity will be much appreciated and we shall not hold it against you being a vendor of said product:). Or just post on your forum in the thread you have there for the iStick.
Got that graph from the discussions at the link @Genosmate posted: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/eleaf-istick-compact-20w-box-mod.17063/

To save anyone who is interested the trouble, the chart we are discussing had the following subtext, find it on page 5 of the thread @Andre quoted.

I quote from there:
"There is a discussion going on elsewhere about the iStick. Another member created this chart. There are a few low watt/volt vapers that say these run too hot for them. I am a lower wattage vaper and have had zero issues so YMMV Do keep in mind that this is someones theory. They have not tested a thing here."
And:
"The data I used is from doing oHms law calculations. The device may produce something a bit different in actual use. So far, I haven't seen any reviews for the iStick using reliable electronic testing equipment to check its accuracy."

Just as another FYI, the Istick Voltage test:

Granted, it was not done with an oscilloscope, but it should be an indication.

I have not seen any similar mentions on Wattage mode and definitely do not want to check 1000's of posts on the other forum - I just managed to get through everything here after just over 2 months and my eyes still cross automagically when I see 'new posts' warnings.

I guess we'd have to wait for Phil Busardo to get his hands on one and do the low-down on it - http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/2014/09/25/regarding-the-eleaf-istick/

What is amazing is how quickly the tech in vape gear is advancing. Back in March/April the highest wattage device commonly available in SA was the Siglei 20W (which really can't step down/reduce voltage), cost nearly R2000 at the time and is easily twice the size of the iLeaf.

Im still gonna get one . Form factor and size ( plus price )is a win win situation on my eye.

Does anybody know if i can fit a normal size aerotank on it ? Or will be too big

I've seen it with a Nauti Mini first hand which seemed to fit well, slight overhang to the front, flat side of the mod.

lol .... I've been watching reviews all week on the iStick.

Ive reviewed games for years now, so forgive my tone.

This is what I got from all the reviews I've seen:

"It's very small."
"It is vw vv from..."
"It comes in Silver, Black and a RED."
"ELeaf call it red, we think it looks pink."
"It's very small."

Groundbreaking. I feel I know it so well I can taste it.

I just realised that with the 510 connector you wont be able to connect your EGO threaded devices
Unless you have a 510 to EGO adapter
Does that come with the device?
Would be pretty dumb if it didnt given the target market imo

I think it does come with adaptor.

I just realised that with the 510 connector you wont be able to connect your EGO threaded devices
Unless you have a 510 to EGO adapter
Does that come with the device?
Would be pretty dumb if it didnt given the target market imo

As far as i know, there's two packages available - one with out and one with.

As far as i know there is one kit with only the mod and the adaptor, and another kit with mod, adaptor, usb cable and wall charger.

Edit : So it seems both kits will have the adaptor included.

I tried in vain to get hold of a technical data/specification sheet from the manufacturer's website. @JakesSA if and/or when available can you perhaps post it on this thread?

Have asked for it and will do. At this point reports seem to indicate it's pulse width modulation at 48 Hz on the step down side which would fit the price bracket. However given that the BVC is now the commercial coil of choice, which goes to 2.1 Ohm and upwards as soon as the juice hits it, I don't think it will be doing a lot of stepping down anyway. The pwm also explains the confusion of voltage readings out there since most of these come from SMOK readers or in-line vape voltage meters which aren't too accurate with .. err .. oscillating(?) ... DC.

What do you make of the scope pics on ECF I referred to in one of the threads higher up?

Have asked for it and will do. At this point reports seem to indicate it's pulse width modulation at 48 Hz on the step down side which would fit the price bracket. However given that the BVC is now the commercial coil of choice, which goes to 2.1 Ohm and upwards as soon as the juice hits it, I don't think it will be doing a lot of stepping down anyway. The pwm also explains the confusion of voltage readings out there since most of these come from SMOK readers or in-line vape voltage meters which aren't too accurate with .. err .. oscillating(?) ... DC.

What do you make of the scope pics on ECF I referred to in one of the threads higher up?

Thanks Jakes, I agree and you can't measure 48kHz accurately with an ordinary RMS (root-mean-square)-type Multimeter. I highly doubt the accuracy of the values posted earlier (graph) on this and other threads - you need a proper high sampling rate scope.

Thanks to @DoubleD for posting the Busardo review in the OP. Struggled through it.

Think I understand what the debate was all about. In simple terms for everyday use - this device delivers more power than the setting indicates. So, if one is used to a VV or VW mod, you have to re-calibrate yourself for this one. Should not be too difficult.

For example: If set at 3.6V, the iStick actually fires at 4.6V on a 1.6 ohm coil. That is 13W as opposed to the setting of 8W. So, in wattage mode, if you are used to vape at 8W (on a 1.6 ohm coil) your setting must be much lower on the iStick - it can go down, but only to 5.6W in this example - should be low enough.

This methinks sounds more complicated that what it will be in practice. All you should have to do is to find your sweet spot anew, you cannot compare the iStick's settings to that of other VV/VW devices out there.

Back