Let's stir a little ;-)

I've checked his Facebook account out and seems legit but couldn't find out how many ohm coil he had on the mod? He had a tube mech mod with a twisted rda if I'm not mistaken

Not entirely sure where to post this @Silver so please move if its in the wrong spot or remove if not appropriate.

Just want to share this article I spotted on Gizmodo. Dude involved seems knowledgeable enough to not have messed up to cause the incident. Could this come down to fake LGs or just that little thing called luck?

http://gizmodo.com/man-loses-seven-teeth-after-e-cigarette-explodes-in-his-1791293954
Covered yesterday.
More like a smelly pile of BS.
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/lets-stir-a-little.t33447/

Not entirely sure where to post this @Silver so please move if its in the wrong spot or remove if not appropriate.

Just want to share this article I spotted on Gizmodo. Dude involved seems knowledgeable enough to not have messed up to cause the incident. Could this come down to fake LGs or just that little thing called luck?

He has NO knowledge. He was using a hybrid mech with a non-hybrid compatible atty. Was running a .06 coil and drawing 70 amps through a 20 amp battery.

Something keeps niggling me. He used a LG H2 battery. Maybe this was one of the fakes we have doing the rounds? It is possible that a convergence of minor risks occured and resulted in this blowout.

Recreating the sequence of events that could have caused the destruction trail evident in the pictures also leads me to think that the main explosion occured inside the basin resulting in the basin dammage and launching the battery on a collision trajectory with his hand and face which after making these impacts ricochet back towards the wall and ceiling.

Tranlsating this into a potential scenario where the mod falls into the basin while he was leaning over it (brushing his teeth or shaving?), possibly with a running tap supplying the water needed for initiating the reaction. The limited damage and placement of the injury to the hand seems to support this. The mod being in shreds sure indicates he was not holding it when this happened.

In any case, it was an unfortunate event and does show the need to be knowledgeable of the correct use of these devices. The same applies to almost anything you can think of. Drying dogs in micro wave ovens, prying loose toast stuck in a toaster with a kitchen knife, recovering a stuck vehicle with a towstrap tied to the ball of a tow hitch, the list goes on and on. We can legislate all we want but here is no escape from the laws of natural selection.

Reminds me of the movie 'Idiocracy'. It wont win any oscars but does accurately portray humanities future if we continiue trying to cater for the lowest common denominator.
You know, I watched that movie ages ago and it stuck with me, like you said... It won't win any oscars... But I think of the movie every time I cannot grasp why someone would do something that is clearly silly

He was using a hybrid mech with a non-hybrid compatible atty. Was running a .06 coil and drawing 70 amps through a 20 amp battery.

And yet it worked fine for several months with no problems?

Edit: also, if he bought the setup from a vape shop, is the shop not responsible for selling him a hybrid mech mod with an RDA that doesn't have a protruding positive pin?

Last edited:

http://gizmodo.com/man-loses-seven-teeth-after-e-cigarette-explodes-in-his-1791293954

Have moved your post and the followimg five posts from the other thread to here @Trashcanman3284

@Taytay 's post was from this thread originalky and is now in the middle of these five posts

Puts on tinfoil hat ;-)

Ok, so. You have a mech, you are vaping on said mech. Some kind of failure occurs, causing the battery to violently explode with enough force to knock out several teeth, with the rda on said mech. The bottom half of the mech then goes on to knock a hole through 30mm of concrete and the top half went on to leave 2 meter long straight lines across the ceiling.

But. If something explodes in your face, even if that thing is in your hand, you move it away from your face(or your face away from it). You could also drop it or throw it. His bloody mouth and the scorch mark on his left cheek would fit this scenario. The long straight soot line(or whatever that is) running down the left side of his face does not. How did it get there? Did he run it across his face after he ripped it away from his mouth? Looking at the remnants of his device, there doesn't seem to be anything that he could have held on to.

And that brings me to the next problem I have with that story. I have read these articles:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/26285...losing-seven-teeth-when-e-cigarette-exploded/

http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/17/mans-...arette-explodes-while-hes-smoking-it-6385339/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/vaper-shares-shocking-pictures-after-9633229

https://www.rt.com/viral/374004-vape-usa-explosion-smoking/

And the one thing none of them mention, about the bomb that went off in someone's hand, is how his hands are FINE. In the pictures there are some black marks that, as far as everyone(including the victim) are convinced, are so minor that they don't even warrant a mention.

nintchdbpict000294811620.jpg

Wasn't he running a TM2 on his mech?
Could have sworn I saw a photo of a TM.
Also, I don't know the TMs, but don't they have protruding pins?

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

DIY will save you money they said,
DIY is a great hobby they said,
Anyone can DIY they said,
DIY is a blast they said,
You see class, vegetable glycerine is not the same as nitro glycerine.

He was charging his Note 7 in his Ford Kuga......... now he wants to blame his mech, shame on you.....
4ab4e6aa0b9f219b7652a3b99cd2d8aa.jpg
b20ea62189fc2373d9d230c27abe9f21.jpg

Live the Cloud

hybrid mech mod.
LG HG2 (20A, 3000 mAh)
Twisted Messes RDA
0.06 ohm coil

Those are the items used.

The battery was fresh off the charger, as in, he took it straight from the charger, screwed it in, and starts using it, and kaboom.

So, the question to me, is more that he used this on a daily basis, one can assume a number of times without a previous issue.

One does not know how many recharge cycles the battery has completed, or if the battery was discharged to a below recommended voltage, or if it was damaged or not.

The logical reason for posting this is to garner public sympathy, and this being 'merica, is going to follow the time honoured tradition of a product liability lawsuit against:
1. LG
2. Twisted Messes

Remember, in 'merica you too can become a multimillionaire by being a idiot and burning yourself with a cup of take away coffee from a fast food empire.

Agree with @Normz . No licence is needed for the private use of a chainsaw, lawnmower, angle grinder, cut off saw, band saw, etc (all of these are far from being idiot proof). I know several people who have had accidents with them. All of these items are potentially very dangerous, even lethal. No photos I have yet seen of people injured by vaping "accidents" come close to the injuries received by an ex colleague (caused by an angle grinder). He is an experienced artisan and yet ...s**t happens.

Vaping may well be more strictly regulated in the future. This will most likely be as a result of the actions of various pressure and interest groups. There are no pressure groups out there campaigning for the banning of angle grinders. A child could walk into builders w-house and buy one.

It would seem that legislators trust us to operate far more dangerous gadgets without any control.

That being said, there is more than one born every minute. Sometimes it becomes necessary to legislate because of those who are hard of thinking.
I agree to some extend with this and in big part with what @RichJB has said about consumer products needing to be safe. But there is a threshold and in many product there is an accepted risk, such as a chainsaw, I am not about to go buy a chainsaw without doing a lot of research and maybe even finding someone who can show me how to use it. That being said, all these devices have required safety features, which is inherently missing in a mech.

I think this is all about awareness, there needs to be so much awareness about mechs that people will think twice before buying one, I firmly believe that mech mods are not for the mass market, but rather a niche market, I myself love my mech, but I do regular checks and cleaning, double check the pin and battery voltage always before assembling it, I have done my research however, if I cut my arm off with a chainsaw because I held it wrong, is that my fault or the chainsaw manufacturer's fault?

I reckon these types of events will eventually cause a standardization of all vape gear, which might be good or bad depending on the standards and the laws surrounding them. You will never be able to regulate it completely, you will never be able to stop someone from purchasing a mech or using a dodgy battery. It's all about education. In this type of scenario, the vape shop had the responsibility to ensure the oke was educated at least to a point where he understood the risks and perhaps rather got him started on a regulated mod instead.

Not re
hybrid mech mod.
LG HG2 (20A, 3000 mAh)
Twisted Messes RDA
0.06 ohm coil

Those are the items used.

The battery was fresh off the charger, as in, he took it straight from the charger, screwed it in, and starts using it, and kaboom.

So, the question to me, is more that he used this on a daily basis, one can assume a number of times without a previous issue.

One does not know how many recharge cycles the battery has completed, or if the battery was discharged to a below recommended voltage, or if it was damaged or not.

The logical reason for posting this is to garner public sympathy, and this being 'merica, is going to follow the time honoured tradition of a product liability lawsuit against:
1. LG
2. Twisted Messes

Remember, in 'merica you too can become a multimillionaire by being a idiot and burning yourself with a cup of take away coffee from a fast food empire.
Not relevant to this thread but more on the coffee incident as there are many misconceptions about this case. The elderly (79) woman suffered 3rd degree burns and had to undergo skin grafts and 8 days in hospital. The coffee was found to be served at temperatures that could cause third degree burns within seconds. The company had received more that 700 complaints about this before the incident and the suite became a matter of principle due to the lack of duty of care by the company thus the large pay out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants
Fun facts :)

Not re

Not relevant to this thread but more on the coffee incident as there are many misconceptions about this case. The elderly (79) woman suffered 3rd degree burns and had to undergo skin grafts and 8 days in hospital. The coffee was found to be served at temperatures that could cause third degree burns within seconds. The company had received more that 700 complaints about this before the incident and the suite became a matter of principle due to the lack of duty of care by the company thus the large pay out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants
Fun facts :)
Perhaps not relevant, but points to the fact that the payout amounts were absurdly large, as they will be if this andy muppet does take lg and twisted messes to court.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Tapatalk

Wait? What? im not a total noob but you're telling me mods and moisture don't mix??? what if it rains? Should i not vape? What if i used to enjoy a stinkie in me bathtub? Should i now not vape in the tub?

And what is the difference between a hybrid and a normal mech?

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

Assuming that the Twisted Messes RDA, the LG battery and the (???) Mech were all functioning 100% as individual bits when initially purchased, I'm not convinced that he has any real case against any one of the individual companies. They manufactured, QA'd and assembled the individual components and that is likely where their liability ends in my view. They may have guidelines to follow, but no control over how it's used or abused at the end of the day.
They did not slap together the final concoction, or QA his final product. He did.
It's not Toyota, Beemer or Merc's fault that most people driving their products feel that they own the road and drive according to that belief too. They only sell & service the goods.

The Vape Shop shop may have built his 1st coil a year ago, but he replaced it with a 'similar' coil. No mention was done of specific wire used, whether the resistance was checked BEFORE the atty was screwed on, or even rechecked regularly before the battery was re-inserted. Atty screws do have a tendency to loosen over time.
We have no idea if he actually bothered to regularly check the location and condition of the pin on the RDA in the year of use, regularly inspected the battery for torn wraps or did any cleaning of the mod itself in the year of use. I don't think I've seen the name of the mod being mentioned anywhere either, so cannot comment on sufficient venting, etc.

If I remember correctly, I've seen it mentioned that it's not advisable to use a battery directly out of the charger - give it a rest first and allow it to settle and to cool to room temperature at least.

Unfortunately, this is not CSI so we do not have 'all' the facts, and likely never will.
Sometimes you have to man up and accept some of the mistakes made as your own. Maintenance and basic care is part and parcel of some of the things we use daily. If you don't care for them, they will likely return the favor.

Wait? What? im not a total noob but you're telling me mods and moisture don't mix??? what if it rains? Should i not vape? What if i used to enjoy a stinkie in me bathtub? Should i now not vape in the tub?

And what is the difference between a hybrid and a normal mech?

Moisture and electronics dont mix, please dont vape in the rain if that water gets in to your device it can damage it or even create a short on your battery. I also used to vape while in the bath, lukily i stoped doing it as i realised that the condensation could shorten the life span of my regulated device.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Its funny how people are like "cigarettes are safer than e-cigs" not counting the billions of people that have died from smoaking related illnesses. I do feel bad for him but even the samsung note 7s where bursting into flames and recently all these ford cugas so its not just e-cigs

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

Moisture and electronics dont mix, please dont vape in the rain if that water gets in to your device it can damage it or even create a short on your battery. I also used to vape while in the bath, lukily i stoped doing it as i realised that the condensation could shorten the life span of my regulated device.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
Thanx @ PSySpin feedback noted.... But dont our regulated mods have protection against short circuits

On a different note i suddenly see a couple of mechs for sale???

Thanx @ PSySpin feedback noted.... But dont our regulated mods have protection against short circuits

On a different note i suddenly see a couple of mechs for sale???

I have seen that too. And ive been on the lookout to grab some at awesome deals :)
Yesterday mangaged to get a Paddy Vapes Shemus for R900 :)

Back