Let's stir a little ;-)

Thanx @ PSySpin feedback noted.... But dont our regulated mods have protection against short circuits

On a different note i suddenly see a couple of mechs for sale???

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk
@Spongebob any water that lands on the circuit board of a regulated mod will most likely damage it when their is current going through it. I have damaged on of my mods due to some juice landing on the circuit board

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Anybody got the lowdown on the v3 tronix mech mod? Price etc?

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Tapatalk

Sitting at the airport vaping away, minding my own business and this old man grabs his phone and says... This is a mate of mine showing me the pictures of the guy in the OP while saying stay away from that thing the batteries explode :-@.

I know everyone is probably tired of hearing the story but i think its important we bring this up once in a while for new vapers and to remind peeps to please not neglect and forget, SAFTY FIRST AND ALWAYS....

So i found a little video on you tube land which although i dont agree with some statments he makes, i believe his intro into whos to fault is on point and also its got some good info for beginers into vaping.

Your thoughts peeps?

Steam-engine.org is my best friend. I use it every time I build on my beloved hybrid Mech mods. I use only brand new Sony VTC6 Batteries on these, why? Because they are one of the best Batteries! Safety first. People die almost monthly climbing Mount Everest. Why do people still have an aspiration to do this? Because it brings excitement and pleasure. But there are rules to follow. And life dictates that sometimes even if you follow the rules, you can still have a mishap. Just be careful and stick to the rules. If Mech mods scare you, stay the f*€¥ away from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No burns to his hands?

Attachments

• Hands..JPG
    Hands..JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 41
I know everyone is probably tired of hearing the story but i think its important we bring this up once in a while for new vapers and to remind peeps to please not neglect and forget, SAFTY FIRST AND ALWAYS....

So i found a little video on you tube land which although i dont agree with some statments he makes, i believe his intro into whos to fault is on point and also its got some good info for beginers into vaping.

Your thoughts peeps?

Thanks for sharing @Clouds4Days
I agree with the guy om the video on a few things
First is to take this seriously and put safety first when vaping, especially on mech mods
And also that its all our responsibility to do so - as well as the retailers that sell these products and the manufacturers that make them

I didnt like how he said you can check on steam engine what the resistance of your coil is. I think one can use steam engine to get an idea of what you are trying to build, but after its done, you MUST check it on an ohm meter or similar with the atty cap on to make sure what resistance you have and whether there are any shorts.

I like the way he said battery manufacturers lie about the max amp draw on their batts but his suggestion of taking off 10A or 15A from whats advertised on the wrapper is in my view not the right advice. An Efest advertising 40A may actually have a max continuous draw of 15A. So if one follows his advice of taking of 10A to get to 30A, you are looking for problems. Better to look at independent test results such as those from Mooch.

Overall i felt that the guy who made the video was right about a lot of what he was saying and credit to him. But on some of the things he could have explained it a bit better or more accurately.

I will emphasise again that what we can do as a forum here is continue to educate and help vapers reading our threads understand about safety. So thanks @Clouds4Days , always good to bring these topics up and discuss them further.

Thanks for sharing @Clouds4Days
I agree with the guy om the video on a few things
First is to take this seriously and put safety first when vaping, especially on mech mods
And also that its all our responsibility to do so - as well as the retailers that sell these products and the manufacturers that make them

I didnt like how he said you can check on steam engine what the resistance of your coil is. I think one can use steam engine to get an idea of what you are trying to build, but after its done, you MUST check it on an ohm meter or similar with the atty cap on to make sure what resistance you have and whether there are any shorts.

I like the way he said battery manufacturers lie about the max amp draw on their batts but his suggestion of taking off 10A or 15A from whats advertised on the wrapper is in my view not the right advice. An Efest advertising 40A may actually have a max continuous draw of 15A. So if one follows his advice of taking of 10A to get to 30A, you are looking for problems. Better to look at independent test results such as those from Mooch.

Overall i felt that the guy who made the video was right about a lot of what he was saying and credit to him. But on some of the things he could have explained it a bit better or more accurately.

I will emphasise again that what we can do as a forum here is continue to educate and help vapers reading our threads understand about safety. So thanks @Clouds4Days , always good to bring these topics up and discuss them further.

You are 100% on point @Silver and those were all my feelings too.
I think the guy was trying to put things into simple terms for beginners but by doing that it can also create problems like his steam engine ohms calculator.

You know how many times in the beginning when i wanted to build a certain simple coil i used steam engine to targer a certain ohm.

Then when i tested the coil out it was sometimes maybe up to .1 or .2 diffrent than what i was aimimg for.
This can be dangerous cause you think you building a .3 coil and its actually a .1 coil.

So its important to always test your coils on a Regulated mod or a digital resistance tab.

You are 100% on point @Silver and those were all my feelings too.
I think the guy was trying to put things into simple terms for beginners but by doing that it can also create problems like his steam engine ohms calculator.

You know how many times in the beginning when i wanted to build a certain simple coil i used steam engine to targer a certain ohm.

Then when i tested the coil out it was sometimes maybe up to .1 or .2 diffrent than what i was aimimg for.
This can be dangerous cause you think you building a .3 coil and its actually a .1 coil.

So its important to always test your coils on a Regulated mod or a digital resistance tab.

Agreed @Clouds4Days
I know exactly what you mean about landing up at a different resistance to what you were aiming for!

I suppose if you're building around the 1.2 ohm mark and your coil comes out at 1.0 ohms then there is nothing to be too worried about from a safety point of view. At 1 ohms, you're only drawing about 4 amps which most batteries can handle with ease.

But you are right, when you are going very low and approaching the battery limitations, a 0.1 ohm difference can make a huge difference to the amp draw. From 0.2 ohms to 0.1 ohms, you are halving the resistance, so doubling the amp draw.

Also dont forget that these little R200 ohm checkers we use are not made to be the most precise instruments. Their readings may not be accurate. So one should build in some extra safety for that.

Just as an aside for the electronics gurus - maybe you can also help here @johan -

I wonder at what resistance range these "cheap" ohm checkers are most accurate? Say they are accurate to 5%. Does that mean 5% at the 1.0 ohm mark or 5% at the 0.1 ohm mark? Any idea whether their accuracy changes as one goes down the ohms range?

Also dont forget that these little R200 ohm checkers we use are not made to be the most precise instruments.

Ain't that the truth. And herein lies part of the problem. The attainment of knowledge is a process, not an event. It would be almost impossible for any new vaper to obtain all the safety knowledge they need in one go, and prior to using their first vape device. Instead, they will typically accumulate knowledge bit by bit over many months.

That "having a little knowledge" phase is possibly the most hazardous state of all. A new vaper with no knowledge at all will probably let the shop do everything for him. A guy who knows that "you must check the resistance of your coils" will reckon he is now equipped to protect himself. So he heads off to Builders Warehouse and buys a multimeter. He is not going to drop R5k on a professional-level multimeter, he'll get a hand-held cheapie.

Not a good idea.

This is why I maintain that the shortest route to reducing vaping accidents lies with the manufacturers. Asking users to know Ohm's Law and be knowledgeable about all aspects of safety is too unlikely to ever happen. Industry works off the truism "assume that consumers are complete eejits - because many of them are".

In terms of the overall video, this guy epitomises the problem with the vaping industry: that the manufacturers have zero liability. His attitude towards battery ratings is a fine example: "we all know that battery manufacturers lie so when they tell you the battery is 40A, just take 10-15A off it and you should be safe". I have a different solution: how about we regulate battery manufacturers and confiscate and destroy all battery shipments which have incorrect and misleading ratings. That would work for me. When a battery manufacturer/wholesaler has to refund the 15th retailer whose shipment has been confiscated and destroyed, maybe the penny will drop that honesty is the best policy.

Can you imagine if the vaping community's attitude was translated into other sectors? If you heard this on a cooking show: "this recipe calls for 500g of flour. But we all know that Pick n Pay lie and that their 500g packs of flour only contain 400g. So be sure to buy two packs of flour when you make this recipe, one won't be enough." I mean, seriously, WTF? Vapers are being endangered by batteries with ridiculously inflated ratings - and it's everybody else's responsibility except the battery manufacturers? How does that work?

I get that vaping developed as an enthusiast activity with gear made by backyard DIYers who adapted materials designed for other uses and industries. So there was an inherent "use at your own risk" mindset that prevailed. But the industry has gone way, way beyond that point now. It is set to develop into a $50bn global juggernaut soon. Expecting it to be run like every other consumer industry, with due diligence and responsibility by manufacturers, is not unreasonable.

My 6 cents on this matter, because this Facebook post has now been shoved into my face once to many,
To me this is the same as taking a box of cigarettes putting petrol all over it and lighting it with a blow touch and then crying wolf
What is wrong with people and commonsense, why do we always get negative reports and never any good news
Big tabaco is try to close in on vaping, Negative press everywhere. I mean how many peoples lives has vaping now change for the better?
Now we get this one Fool and there go all the oom's, ouma's ma's and pa's , " Boetie daai ding gaan in you gesig ontploff"

Please HELP!!! ignorance is Bliss hey

My apologies for the venting's (not my battery but my moer)

Do you think big tobacco is behind this? They are making a major push to replace cigarettes with vaporisers, they see it as the logical replacement for their core tobacco business. Most of the research studies that are pro-vaping are being funded by big tobacco. Does it make sense for them to discredit the product that they see as their future income?

Do you think big tobacco is behind this? They are making a major push to replace cigarettes with vaporisers, they see it as the logical replacement for their core tobacco business. Most of the research studies that are pro-vaping are being funded by big tobacco. Does it make sense for them to discredit the product that they see as their future income?

Sorry my mistake I am not saying its big tabacco I am just ranting on how sick I am of negative press on vaping.
And fools like this dude that that blew up his face

Easy solution. Ban mechs and only allow regulated.

A sad day it'll be indeed.

I do!
Im guessing big tobacco was responsible for the "grand daddy bill", its usually a question of "follow the money".
If they can get folks afraid of "mods & mechs" it will help the marketing of their own closed/cartridge devices.

Some clever marketing to gain the trust of the sheeple and their transition into "safe vaping" will be complete.

I can't see it somehow. The general public is not clued up enough to know the difference between a mech and a cigalike. They just know the generic 'e-cigarette' and any news story they see about one exploding will make them wary of all 'e-cigarettes'.

I can believe that big tobacco would support things like the TPD's 2ml tank size limitation as cigalikes have tiny juice reservoirs. So it guides people away from open system vaping and towards the big tobacco vape gear. But safety is a different issue. Big tobacco only has two product lines: traditional tobacco products and new-era 'reduced harm' products. Traditional tobacco products have already been smeared irretrievably. I can't see big tobacco helping the media to also smear the only alternative product that they have.

I can't see it somehow. The general public is not clued up enough to know the difference between a mech and a cigalike. They just know the generic 'e-cigarette' and any news story they see about one exploding will make them wary of all 'e-cigarettes'.

I can believe that big tobacco would support things like the TPD's 2ml tank size limitation as cigalikes have tiny juice reservoirs. So it guides people away from open system vaping and towards the big tobacco vape gear. But safety is a different issue. Big tobacco only has two product lines: traditional tobacco products and new-era 'reduced harm' products. Traditional tobacco products have already been smeared irretrievably. I can't see big tobacco helping the media to also smear the only alternative product that they have.
Yesterday someone told me I must watch out that thing are going to explode. I ask him calmly if he Vapes he says no but saw it on Facebook. So I told him to F.. Off

Agreed @Clouds4Days
I know exactly what you mean about landing up at a different resistance to what you were aiming for!

I suppose if you're building around the 1.2 ohm mark and your coil comes out at 1.0 ohms then there is nothing to be too worried about from a safety point of view. At 1 ohms, you're only drawing about 4 amps which most batteries can handle with ease.

But you are right, when you are going very low and approaching the battery limitations, a 0.1 ohm difference can make a huge difference to the amp draw. From 0.2 ohms to 0.1 ohms, you are halving the resistance, so doubling the amp draw.

Also dont forget that these little R200 ohm checkers we use are not made to be the most precise instruments. Their readings may not be accurate. So one should build in some extra safety for that.

Just as an aside for the electronics gurus - maybe you can also help here @johan -

I wonder at what resistance range these "cheap" ohm checkers are most accurate? Say they are accurate to 5%. Does that mean 5% at the 1.0 ohm mark or 5% at the 0.1 ohm mark? Any idea whether their accuracy changes as one goes down the ohms range?

Apologies for only now replying. Those units are at best 10% accurate at 1+ Ohms, and for the cheap pricing I would definitely not trust any reading around 0.1 Ohms (including fancy mods with resistance displays). True low resistance measuring instrumentation costs a couple 1000 dollars.

Apologies for only now replying. Those units are at best 10% accurate at 1+ Ohms, and for the cheap pricing I would definitely not trust any reading around 0.1 Ohms (including fancy mods with resistance displays). True low resistance measuring instrumentation costs a couple 1000 dollars.

Many thanks @johan

That's what I feared ;-)

Agree... I would think it is more likely that Big Pharma and greedy government officials are behind these negative campaigns or at least fuel them as much as possible. As long as people keep smoking, they will get sick (cancer, heart disease, lung disease, etc.) and there are billions of dollars to be made from illness. Medicine for fighting cancer, heart disease and lung disease is insanely expensive and ensure very good profits to all the massive pharmaceutical companies of the world. It is not nice to think about it, but this is the cold hard truth. Sick people = big business for Big Pharma.

As this vaping snowball gets bigger and bigger, demand for these drugs will decline and Big Pharma will manufacture/sell less and that will lead to many of their employees losing their jobs.

Don't get me started on governments.... we all know what tax money can do for the gravy train! Tobacco tax ensures a nice steady tax stream for governments, for now at least. Therefore governments feel it is in THEIR best interest if people keep smoking. The irony is that sick people also cost governments lots of money, especially the lower income group (no medical aid). This lower income group usually has the highest percentage of smokers in most populations and it is also this group that will find it most difficult to switch to a healthier alternative.

Back