Loss Of Flavor Or Loss Of Taste?

Hazy_Jack

Noob Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi Everyone

Another newbie with a Twisp Clearo here. So I've had it for a week now and I've been loving it, till yesterday. Weird thing happened - I suddenly lost all flavor. Still making clouds of vapor just... no taste...like, at all.
Figured it was the coil so I exchanged it for a new one (old one looked blackened in the center) and kept on. When I initially started I didn't get much taste, but it improved after an hour or so. It's now the next day later that I still don't feel like I'm getting the strong flavor I had before. It's ~better~, but still not what I had grown used to.

So more info that could help: Week old Clearo. New Coil. Battery charged overnight. No overheating that I could feel. Rinsed out the tube and mouthpiece and added a stronger-taste liquid (the polar mint), same results. I've also tried the coffee and vanilla ones, with pretty much the same results.

Now I've read up on the 'loss of taste' thing some people (maybe all?) seem to experience, so trying to eliminate that - I gave my girlfriend a puff (also got her a Clearo) and she agrees that there's less taste to mine. Now, not sure whether she is also losing sensitivity or not, because her's tastes fairly 'flat' to me as well. Asked a few colleagues still on normal stinkies and getting mixed results there: some get fine taste, others can name the flavor but said it was difficult.

Any advice here? Should I take it back to Twisp to see whether there's something wrong or should I wait a while and see whether it's just me?

Thanks in advance for any assist!

Sounds like a case of the dreaded vapors tongue. There is a thread somewhere around here about that. Drink lots of water

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone

Another newbie with a Twisp Clearo here. So I've had it for a week now and I've been loving it, till yesterday. Weird thing happened - I suddenly lost all flavor. Still making clouds of vapor just... no taste...like, at all.
Figured it was the coil so I exchanged it for a new one (old one looked blackened in the center) and kept on. When I initially started I didn't get much taste, but it improved after an hour or so. It's now the next day later that I still don't feel like I'm getting the strong flavor I had before. It's ~better~, but still not what I had grown used to.

So more info that could help: Week old Clearo. New Coil. Battery charged overnight. No overheating that I could feel. Rinsed out the tube and mouthpiece and added a stronger-taste liquid (the polar mint), same results. I've also tried the coffee and vanilla ones, with pretty much the same results.

Now I've read up on the 'loss of taste' thing some people (maybe all?) seem to experience, so trying to eliminate that - I gave my girlfriend a puff (also got her a Clearo) and she agrees that there's less taste to mine. Now, not sure whether she is also losing sensitivity or not, because her's tastes fairly 'flat' to me as well. Asked a few colleagues still on normal stinkies and getting mixed results there: some get fine taste, others can name the flavor but said it was difficult.

Any advice here? Should I take it back to Twisp to see whether there's something wrong or should I wait a while and see whether it's just me?

Thanks in advance for any assist!

This sounds like Vapers tongue to me, try vaping some menthol for a bit and then the same flavour and see. Also try a new flavour, vaping the same flavour for prolonged periods can cause vapers tongue.

Vapors tongue strikes again! And if you puff hers can you taste it better?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

everyone is different in this regard I think, personally I alternate flavours. Every time the tank is empty it gets filled with something else, just to keep the taste buds from getting used to one thing. Also, after a few weeks off the stinkies you will find all kinds of wacky stuff happens with your sense of smell and taste :)

There are a number of articles and forum discussion on the web about this subject, search this forum.

However it is a known phenomenon that most if not all smokers who switch to vaping at some point during their journey will lose the ability to taste their juice, and the time period for this loss of taste differs for each person. However the average time is anything from 2 to 4 days and for some this may happen more than once. There are a number of possible cures you can try to re-awaken the senses. If as you say you even tried the mint flavor which is a strong flavor and you still did not taste anything, that indicates to me that you might be going through this no taste phase.

The tank it self will no cause this to happen, yes the coil could, but you have changed that with the same result. I would suggest if possible if you know of anyone who vapes but does not use Twisp but another device, take a toot from them and see if the experience is the same or not.

IMO you are experiencing the no taste phase of your vapeing journey from stinkies, while I appreciate that it is frustrating and not fun, persist and if it has not improved in a day or too, test another device or tank from someone else.

Yup sounds like Vapors tongue! There is a remedy that works. Cucumber! Eat some cucumber or put a couple slices in your glass of water. I heard that hot ginger/mint tea also helps.

Definitely vapours tongue in my opinion

Drink loads of water, suck on something menthol (like halls sweets) and what I found works for me is a frequent rinsing of the mouth with some mentholated mouthwash.

Once your taste returns remember to alternate flavours as often as possible.

Vapours tongue can last an indefinite amount of time, it is different for each person. Good luck and stay strong

Yup sounds like Vapors tongue! There is a remedy that works. Cucumber! Eat some cucumber or put a couple slices in your glass of water. I heard that hot ginger/mint tea also helps.
That is a new one for me. Have you tried it?

Cool! Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
I tried a colleague's device, not sure what brand it was, and he had an apple mix which I could kind of taste - at least it was much stronger than mine. Will let him try mine and get his opinion. If I try another Twisp I get flavor but it's still 'muted', sort of. Flat.
I have about five different flavors and I'm getting the same result on all of them, which is why I initially thought it might be my device. Maybe it's the Twisp juice specifically, or something in it. I have to admit that my tongue does feel 'burnt' (same sort of feeling you get when you drink coffee that's too hot) - like it's been burnt by the nicotine, maybe? I ~have~ been sucking on this thing nearly non-stop since I got it...

Anyway, thanks for all the great replies everyone! I'll start with the water and tea and see where that gets me. Will update if there's any change :)

Cool! Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
I tried a colleague's device, not sure what brand it was, and he had an apple mix which I could kind of taste - at least it was much stronger than mine. Will let him try mine and get his opinion. If I try another Twisp I get flavor but it's still 'muted', sort of. Flat.
I have about five different flavors and I'm getting the same result on all of them, which is why I initially thought it might be my device. Maybe it's the Twisp juice specifically, or something in it. I have to admit that my tongue does feel 'burnt' (same sort of feeling you get when you drink coffee that's too hot) - like it's been burnt by the nicotine, maybe? I ~have~ been sucking on this thing nearly non-stop since I got it...

Anyway, thanks for all the great replies everyone! I'll start with the water and tea and see where that gets me. Will update if there's any change :)

Did you get some juice on your tong via the mouth piece ?

Yeah, quite often. I've learned to keep the Twisp upright when I smoke, feels like I'm smoking a pipe ^.^

Yeah, quite often. I've learned to keep the Twisp upright when I smoke, feels like I'm smoking a pipe ^.^

That can cause you to not taste anything, I have a twisp as well. Its been lying in my draw from Feb. On better equipment now. When I used my twisp my juice use to get on my tong causing my taste to disappear for days. Hope this helps a bid.

Oooo. What can you suggest as an upgrade?
Even before buying one I had been reading mixed reviews on the Twisp. It's definitely a decent starter kit (if a bit expensive), but it looks to me like overseas it gets higher reviews than here...

Even before buying one I had been reading mixed reviews on the Twisp. It's definitely a decent starter kit (if a bit expensive), but it looks to me like overseas it gets higher reviews than here...

Bear in mind this is my personal opinion. Not necessary others opinions.

Any thing is better than the twisp, even thou the twisp isn't that bad.

From the twisp I went to Evod 1100mah battery's, with CE5 Cleros.
Then I went to a eCo-C Twist 1100mah with a iClear16,
then a iClear16d
then I sat on my eCo-C Twist and got a eCo-C Twist 1300mah.
Now that is my backup setup.

I have a MVP with a iClear16b and a iClear30s. And I love it.

You have to make your own choices, because we all are different and like different things.

Hope this helps a bit

Evod for the win!!!!:D:D:D??????....nuff said!

Bwhahaha! BRAND WAR! Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets!

So nobody has suggested it so i will , coffee beans .

Place a handfull into a pan and heat gently on the stove , place head above pan and enjoy the aroma for 5mins at least , then drink some water .

vape something and see if it's better ..

this has been confirmed to work on that sweedish doc post some time back that i cant find .. ! and i have done it with coffee grounds as i did not have beans

So nobody has suggested it so i will , coffee beans .

Place a handfull into a pan and heat gently on the stove , place head above pan and enjoy the aroma for 5mins at least , then drink some water .

vape something and see if it's better ..

this has been confirmed to work on that sweedish doc post some time back that i cant find .. ! and i have done it with coffee grounds as i did not have beans

Makes absolute sense to me as your taste buds are mainly influenced by your nose (smell receptors).

o_O freaky. I'll give it a shot. This tasteless vaping is REALLY driving me up the walls.

OK. So...Crap. Confirmed it's definitely me. Gave my Twisp to the colleague with an eGo-T ...something... and he says he's getting 'a lot of flavor' from mine.
So cut back on trying to vape. Been drinking water the whole day so far. Will do the coffee bean thing tonight. Let you all know how it went tomorrow ;(

Figured I'd just update here for any other newbies who might read this later on:

Just over a week later and finally getting my taste back. Still fades after a while of vaping, but it's definitely improving.
Never had a chance to try the coffee beans, but did start drinking water more often, which seemed to help during the whole ordeal. Also cut back on vaping as much as I did before (was chain vaping from the day I got the damn thing).
So no real new advice just...hang in there and stick it out! :banghead:

I'd be really curious to see a proper study of what causes this and what could be done to speed the process up, or maybe stop it from happening entirely. I get that your smell and taste buds get 'used' to a smell or taste after a while, but this felt like something else. Like I mentioned before it felt like the surface of my tongue got 'burnt' and had that 'dead skin' feeling to it whenever I vaped, which gave either no taste to the vape or changed the taste to a sort of muted, bland...thing.

Anyway. Thought I'd share ^.^
Now...back to vaping!

Back