Lurker turned poster..

SirMCDeats

Noob Vaper
LV

Awards
Hey guys,

I'm new here, been lurking for a while but decided to register today :party:

I stopped smoking cigarette's in November (2014) and switched to vaping, since I started, I haven't had a single stinky :rock:

My vaping journey has moved quite quickly for me. I started off on a vision spinner 2 and nautilus mini but quickly moved to an IPV2 running an atlantis. Early January I ordered my first DIY e-juice kit from skyblue and I've been playing with (read: mucking up) making my own juices. This week saw me buying my first RTA (the kanger subtank), and yesterday I bought my first dripper (the doge).. all from vapeking!

At work I build custom Linux (desktop) images in between vaping :lipssealed:

Anyway, that's me, looking forward to being part of the community!

PS. converted the wife to vaping as well, she's currently running the spinner with the mini :clap:

Welcome to the forum. Happy to see you have finally joined. Looks like you are well on your way for a happy vamping future. :cool:

Hello Sir

welcome to the forum buddy ! thats an amazing progression, well done.

how are you finding the DIY ?

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Hello Sir

welcome to the forum buddy ! thats an amazing progression, well done.

how are you finding the DIY ?

I'm still struggling quite a bit, especially with the flavour percentage. Even after 2 weeks of steeping, the juice generally tends to taste like nothing. The first batches I made had 5% flavour in them, I have a current batch steeping that I upped to 10%. Hopefully that works a bit better!

lol, im having the opposite problem. some of my flavours are overpowering my mixes.

its a bit of trial and error. i make a small batch and write down my recipe used, then sample those and see what i need to change

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I'm still struggling quite a bit, especially with the flavour percentage. Even after 2 weeks of steeping, the juice generally tends to taste like nothing. The first batches I made had 5% flavour in them, I have a current batch steeping that I upped to 10%. Hopefully that works a bit better!
I'm having better success with taking other people's recipes and tweaking them to my taste. Here's a couple useful resources for DIY recipes worth checking out:

http://www.e-liquid-recipes.com/
http://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/1ivjog/mega_tfa_tpa_recipe_thread/

Reddit has a large community of DIY ejuicers with a ton of good info.
http://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/

Good luck and please share your findings we're all learning as we go!

@Gambit

ive been doing the same thing ... been working on a really good 5 pawns "gambit" clone.

i use http://www.kritikalmass.net/index.asp

they have a really good search option where you can search by flavour and find recipes that you can use based on a flavour that you have. i then look for what i dont have and can substitute.

Welcome to the forum @SirMCDeats
Congrats on the quitting of the stinkies. That is a great achievement!
You sure are progressing very nicely
As long as you stay off the stinkies and enjoy the journey then thats what its all about

All the best

Ps - when you get a moment, please load a cool avatar pic. Click yr name in the top right, then "avatar"

lol, im having the opposite problem. some of my flavours are overpowering my mixes.

its a bit of trial and error. i make a small batch and write down my recipe used, then sample those and see what i need to change

What PG/VG ratio are you making? I'm trying for 20 PG / 80 VG, but struggling to get the flavour in.

Are you measuring in grams, drops or millilitres?

I'm having better success with taking other people's recipes and tweaking them to my taste. Here's a couple useful resources for DIY recipes worth checking out:

E-liquid recipes has been my go to site for calculations and recipes, great site.

Welcome to the forum @SirMCDeats
Congrats on the quitting of the stinkies. That is a great achievement!
You sure are progressing very nicely
As long as you stay off the stinkies and enjoy the journey then thats what its all about

All the best

Ps - when you get a moment, please load a cool avatar pic. Click yr name in the top right, then "avatar"

Will do, just need to find one I like!

ive made a few batches at different ratios

most of my juice is at 50vg/50pg
complex flavours are at 60pg /40vg
simpler juices at 70vg/30pg for making cloud, lol

my nic is all 50pg/50vg

i started by mixing my pg/vg pure by ratio to get my 3 bottles of base pg/vg. then i add the base to my nic premix and then add the flavour after.

i land up with a few ml extra juice (mixing a 30ml bottle will land up with just under 40ml) depending on the amount of flavour i add but i rather do that and know my nic content is correct if lower than being too strong.

depending on the recipe i either use ml or drops, if its a low amount of flavour i need then i rather use drops because u loose a bit in the syringes etc.

have you tried to agitate your liquids to speed up the steeping? that may help bring out the flavour

i have a small handheld coffee mixer thingy that i whizz up all of my juices, creates alot of bubbles and then i leave it to steep. some sites say that it greatly speeds up the steeping. i also heat up the juices but for a short time only. after giving the juice a proper whizz i seal the bottle, then fill up a mug with hot tap water and submerge the sealed bottle in there for a few min. i normally keep in in for about 10min until the water gets lukewarm, i then give the bottle a quick rinse in cold water, shake the bottle by hand and put it back in the cupboard.

what flavours do u have and what recipes are you trying to make ?

ive made a few batches at different ratios

most of my juice is at 50vg/50pg
complex flavours are at 60pg /40vg
simpler juices at 70vg/30pg for making cloud, lol

my nic is all 50pg/50vg

i started by mixing my pg/vg pure by ratio to get my 3 bottles of base pg/vg. then i add the base to my nic premix and then add the flavour after.

i land up with a few ml extra juice (mixing a 30ml bottle will land up with just under 40ml) depending on the amount of flavour i add but i rather do that and know my nic content is correct if lower than being too strong.

depending on the recipe i either use ml or drops, if its a low amount of flavour i need then i rather use drops because u loose a bit in the syringes etc.

have you tried to agitate your liquids to speed up the steeping? that may help bring out the flavour

i have a small handheld coffee mixer thingy that i whizz up all of my juices, creates alot of bubbles and then i leave it to steep. some sites say that it greatly speeds up the steeping. i also heat up the juices but for a short time only. after giving the juice a proper whizz i seal the bottle, then fill up a mug with hot tap water and submerge the sealed bottle in there for a few min. i normally keep in in for about 10min until the water gets lukewarm, i then give the bottle a quick rinse in cold water, shake the bottle by hand and put it back in the cupboard.

what flavours do u have and what recipes are you trying to make ?

At the moment I'm just trying to make a single flavour recipe. I've tried grape candy and black cherry, both 80 VG / 20 PG, 5% flavour and 6mg nic.

Any suggestions on the flavour %? Is mine too high? Maybe too low?

I haven't tried agitating it yet. Will give your suggestion a bash tonight. How long do you steep for after submerging it in hot water?

what volume are you trying to make?

Example of a 30ml sample

start with the base....
you want 80/20 split so for a 30ml you need (20ml vg and 5ml pg)

now add your nic....
so for 6mg NIC you need 6:1 ratio
thats 5 parts of pure pg/vg and 1 part pg/vg nic (25ml pure and 5 ml nic)

now to add ur flavour :)

since your flavour is mainly in the pg and your pg is low i would recommend around 7% as a starter. so add around 2ml of our flavour .

my method of steeping

i wake up and grab the coffee mixer thingy !
then after i see the bubbles i seal the bottle and fill up a mug of hot water from the tap. submerge the bottle and then go and have a shower.

once im done i take it out of the water and put it in the cupboard.

the next morning i take a few drops from there in the dripper to test and see if i plan to agitate and bath it again.

normally i steep for a bout 3 days with agitating it twice a day.

welcome and congratulations on your promotion from lurker to full on member. we happy to have you

Welcome to the forum @SirMCDeats.

Good job with switching yourself and the wife over to vaping.
I hope you enjoy the stay and please don't forget to point mrs MCDeats this way too. It would be deemed selfish if you try to hide this awesome community from her ;)

@SirMCDeats welcome , and so the journey begins , great choice on the IPV2 , how are you finding the Atlantis on it curious to know as I have both incoming :) not much of a lung hitter so want to know if you close the airflow and just toot or wide open and kap the lung hits ....

Can't go wrong with http://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/, find a good clone recipe, and enjoy a good juice for next to nothing.

Exactly. Also looking through all the recipes you start to get an idea of what flavour combinations work and the percentages people are using in their recipes. Also reddit is awesome.

Again, thanks to all for the warm welcome!

what volume are you trying to make?

Example of a 30ml sample

start with the base....
you want 80/20 split so for a 30ml you need (20ml vg and 5ml pg)

now add your nic....
so for 6mg NIC you need 6:1 ratio
thats 5 parts of pure pg/vg and 1 part pg/vg nic (25ml pure and 5 ml nic)

now to add ur flavour :)

since your flavour is mainly in the pg and your pg is low i would recommend around 7% as a starter. so add around 2ml of our flavour .

my method of steeping

i wake up and grab the coffee mixer thingy !
then after i see the bubbles i seal the bottle and fill up a mug of hot water from the tap. submerge the bottle and then go and have a shower.

once im done i take it out of the water and put it in the cupboard.

the next morning i take a few drops from there in the dripper to test and see if i plan to agitate and bath it again.

normally i steep for a bout 3 days with agitating it twice a day.

At the moment I'm making 10ml samples just to test them out. I tried a batch last night that I made a week ago, 80VG, 20PG, 6mg nic and 5% black cherry flavor. It smelt great but it tasted like nothing. Will try the next batch with 7% flavor and your agitating / hot water method. Just need to find a mixer thingy :-D

Welcome @SirMCDeats :D

There is a fantastic thread on starting DIY on here:
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/threads/diy-your-first-time.7324/

This got me up and running in no time and I already have a DIY juice that I always have loaded in one of my devices for all day vaping :rock:

Best of luck with your DIY - you seem properly sorted out for gear though ;)

Yeah, found that thread, it's actually one of the threads that lead me to the forum. And might I just say, BLASPHEMY, one can never be sorted on gear :--P I already have a wish list long enough to bankrupt me for a couple of years!

Welcome to the forum @SirMCDeats.

Good job with switching yourself and the wife over to vaping.
I hope you enjoy the stay and please don't forget to point mrs MCDeats this way too. It would be deemed selfish if you try to hide this awesome community from her ;)

I have told her about the forum, reckon she'll join soon enough!

@SirMCDeats welcome , and so the journey begins , great choice on the IPV2 , how are you finding the Atlantis on it curious to know as I have both incoming :) not much of a lung hitter so want to know if you close the airflow and just toot or wide open and kap the lung hits ....

I'm also not a big lung hitter, and to be honest the airflow on the atlantis is too much for me wide open, I generally vape it on the smallest air hole. It took some getting used to after the nautilus.

I bought the subtank recently, and I actually prefer the airflow on it. The fact that you can use it as an RTA is also pretty awesome.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the atlantis? :smoke:

Hey guys,

I'm new here, been lurking for a while but decided to register today :party:

I stopped smoking cigarette's in November (2014) and switched to vaping, since I started, I haven't had a single stinky :rock:

My vaping journey has moved quite quickly for me. I started off on a vision spinner 2 and nautilus mini but quickly moved to an IPV2 running an atlantis. Early January I ordered my first DIY e-juice kit from skyblue and I've been playing with (read: mucking up) making my own juices. This week saw me buying my first RTA (the kanger subtank), and yesterday I bought my first dripper (the doge).. all from vapeking!

At work I build custom Linux (desktop) images in between vaping :lipssealed:

Anyway, that's me, looking forward to being part of the community!

PS. converted the wife to vaping as well, she's currently running the spinner with the mini :clap:
Welcome man, I'm sure you will enjoy your time here and I know you'll enjoy vaping, Congratulations on not touching the stinies again... LOL, and trust me when you do, it tastes like that very first time you smokes, a shitty taste in your mouth, even bloody cigars which I used to love!!! Me and my data always used to share a couple when I go to visit him.... now I just take a couple of pulls on the cigar and stop as it tastes to damn crappy!!!

Anyway, good to see you here and hope you stay away from those nasty stinkers, hehe

Yeah, found that thread, it's actually one of the threads that lead me to the forum. And might I just say, BLASPHEMY, one can never be sorted on gear :--P I already have a wish list long enough to bankrupt me for a couple of years!

Haha, indeed...forgive my blasphemous comment ;)

What I meant to say was....sorted for this week :D

Ejuice Me Up recipe calculator.

@SirMCDeats , 5% is typically too low, but you didn't say which flavouing brand - if it's mbv, then then definitely too low. (Although it does still vary per flavour. Just that mbv is generally considered to be less concentrated.)

Ejuice Me Up recipe calculator.

@SirMCDeats , 5% is typically too low, but you didn't say which flavouing brand - if it's mbv, then then definitely too low. (Although it does still vary per flavour. Just that mbv is generally considered to be less concentrated.)

Hey Cat, thanks, I'm using TFA / TPA concentrates, these ones:

http://www.skybluevaping.co.za/e-liquids/DIY-Eliquids/DIY-Flavourings/TFA-Flavours

Have you used them at all?

I got the mixer thingy from dischem .

Cool, thanks man, will go have a look!

Back