My very first diy coils...

3mm is perfect from what I recall of my short experience with it. The more turbulence, the more noise and the less smooth is your draw. You’ll feel it!

Cool, now I know some symptoms and causes... Look Ma, I'm becoming an engineering doctor... :aaaaa:

Thank you

Last edited:
These would of been fine to dry burn and re-wicked as been said but now they have been removed i would throw them because where the leads were originally cut the wires are separating and could easily cause a short if re-used.

:wave1: @Timwis

Hope your doing well.

Thank you for the advice, will toss those ones, do you think I should hang on to the other set (the ones that look like 3x wires stuck together)?

My guess is that coil had hot spots inside that you did not see and that burnt the cotton and burnt juice on the coil. I have had this a few times on these fancy coils with many thin wires. Stay with the standard wire, much cheaper, just as good flavor in my opinion, and no washing scrubbing etc. They so cheap, just make a new one every time

The coils are pretty well spaced so there can't be hotspots.

Yeah agreed, more like 60w with 0.3ohm build the coils will get hot in the middle, possibly sweet e-liquid to boot and will need a re-wick every 2 to 3 days.

Thank you @Adephi

I think he was referring to the premade coils that I had the cotton disappearing inside the coils problems with.

But I am stoked to hear that my DIY coils were pretty well spaced...:party:

Yeah agreed, more like 60w with 0.3ohm build the coils will get hot in the middle, possibly sweet e-liquid to boot and will need a re-wick every 2 to 3 days.

The E-juices I have are all sweet flavours.

Cream Soda Shake
Smurf Shake
Secret Syrup
Mystery

Is there some advice on the wattage or Ohm range to run the coils at, to try and avoid having to rewick so often?

The E-juices I have are all sweet flavours.

Cream Soda Shake
Smurf Shake
Secret Syrup
Mystery

Is there some advice on the wattage or Ohm range to run the coils at, to try and avoid having to rewick so often?
The thing is if your sweet spot for flavour is at 60W with 0.3ohm build just will need to re-wick often. There is no right or wrong, personally with a single coil RTA with 0.3 i would be at about 30w with a dual build 45w max but that's just me, others will prefer different wattage!

The thing is if your sweet spot for flavour is at 60W with 0.3ohm build just will need to re-wick often. There is no right or wrong, personally with a single coil RTA with 0.3 i would be at about 30w with a dual build 45w max but that's just me, others will prefer different wattage!

Great, thank you.

I will try those settings and then work my way around that, to see if my "sweet spot" is truly at 60Watts.

Another question, though, i understand that it is subjective, but as a rule, when the ohms go lower, does the wattage also tend to go down proportionally?

Great, thank you.

I will try those settings and then work my way around that, to see if my "sweet spot" is truly at 60Watts.

Another question, though, i understand that it is subjective, but as a rule, when the ohms go lower, does the wattage also tend to go down proportionally?
The lower the resistance the higher the wattage.

Looks good. Don't worry about fancy coils, they chew up juice, and how things are going you to want to hang on to as much as possible. Same with low resistance and high wattage.

Great, thank you.

It also depends on the total wire mass, so how much wire needs to get heated up. I am not guru on the science behind it, but it's advice that was shared on this forum. As an example, my wife and I have different coils in our RTAs (she has tri-core fused claptons and I have a framed staple), but they OHM out at virtually the same (between 0.33 and 0.35). My staples seem to work the very best at around 40 watts, hers shine at 32-34 watts.

Just start low and work your way up, if the sweet spot stays at 60w, then at least you know.

Nice coils @Spyder1984 .

When the lockdown is over we will be resuming our regular Cape Town Vape Meets. You should come and join us. There are several experienced coil builders who will help you.

Back