Name one thing from your childhood

The wooden head I carved while on the border that was around my neck for the rest of my service time! And if you look closely at the chin of the face you may be able to see small teeth marks... these were made by my pet money "Floss" that I rescued from locals that had killed his mother... I gave them R10 and took Floss... not sure if it was the R10 note or the full magazine of 7.62 ammo in my R1 Rifle that convinced them. Floss was my constant companion on my 6 months tour of duty in Ovamboland.
View attachment 129085
Rob, were you at 5 SAI?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A matchbox from back in the day when they were made from wood and not cardboard.
Olden Days 020.JPG

I think I had the better deal, 5 SAI in Ladysmith. Weather in Uppington is, I think, more extreme

VERY much SO! We had heat from Hades and the freezing cold for the polar ice caps! There was never a happy medium... Luckily we spent 6 months of our initial year in Ovamboland!

VERY much SO! We had heat from Hades and the freezing cold for the polar ice caps! There was never a happy medium... Luckily we spent 6 months of our initial year in Ovamboland!
We're those 6 months in summer or winter?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Just a quick digress from the contents of the green suitcase... some army pictures with Floss and back in the days I was skinny!
Rob&Floss.jpg Rob&Floss2.jpg Rob&Floss3.jpg Sweetwaters.jpg

We're those 6 months in summer or winter?

Summer! But after walking my first few patrols lugging around a 60mm mortar tube and a couple of bombs I decided I should rather be a signaler ensconced in the underground bunker at camp listening to LM Radio on the TR15 shortwave radio. I got the signalers to teach me all the stuff and then I picked up my Balsak and moved to the signaler's habitat! No one queried that fact I transferred myself... the rest of the time I did the 3am to 6am and the 3pm to 6pm beat and the rest of the time I spent with Floss and suntanning!

OMG @Rob Fisher

That green suitcase has revealed so many gems
Am going to look again and enjoy the various posts
This is a major find, sergeant major Fisher!!

Lol, the date of those teardrops was 1975, wife wasnt even born then!
Hehe

And those pics of you with Floss! Priceless. You hunk!

This is just amazing, love it to bits.
I need to find a green suitcase and start putting things in like that - but unfortunately wont be sharpshooter badges or the like ;-)

Ooh, this is good

Right you saw the matchbox made out of wood... did you wonder what was in the matchbox? It's a piece of glass still with my blood on it that I pulled out of my foot... if my memory serves me right it's from 1967.
Olden Days 022.JPG

Awesome you kept that @Rob Fisher
Artefacts like those must brimg back loads of memories, not all pleasant though
I like the suntanning and the way you transferred yourself into the bunker. Winner. Hehe

And then the precious Russel Yo Yo's that along with the Silly Putty are the oldest items in the green suitcase at over 50 years old! I only ever competed in competitions with a Fanta Yo Yo.
Olden Days 007.JPG

Must have been a real trip down memory lane for you today @Rob Fisher, it sure brought back a lot of memories for me. Floss looks so happy that you rescued him :) .

Where it all began
7dbc2efb3a38cce4e48e22aae3ff1777.jpg

sent from JsPLAYn'Z headquarters

Back