National Vape Fest.

Haha I went to the last woodstock there was (The modern version that is :p ) back in 2008 - I'm pretty sure it was the same thing though - or close too

Except for the music, and possibly better protection methods. But I'm sure the drugs haven't changed much if at all.

o_O :p

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Maybe I should change the suggestion to: ...... like OPPIKOPPI

I do like the idea of a resort type thing, accommodation for all and more than likely a venue we will be able to use, the problem is going to be to find a place central enough so that everyone doesn't drive 2 days to get to a place just to pack up and leave again to be home in time for work.

What about Clarens guys? Not as central for the southerners but it's a really beautiful place with some great places to stay and eat.

Sent from the Dark Side of The Force

It's the alternative for Woodstock for the younger generation, although I've attended a couple of times.

http://www.oppikoppi.co.za/

Hehehe yip I knew that... my daughters boyfriend goes every year... ;)

If the national vape meet becomes a reality then it needs to cater for campers and people who want their own clean flushing porcelain toilet and creature comforts! I spent far too many months in the bush in South West Africa camping and living under the stars and it was all for nothing because they gave the country to the people we fought for all those years and then to rub salt into the wounds they renamed my favorite street in Durban North after them! So the short answer is make it close to a decent hotel... I don't camp anymore.

If the national vape meet becomes a reality then it needs to cater for campers and people who want their own clean flushing porcelain toilet and creature comforts! I spent far too many months in the bush in South West Africa camping and living under the stars and it was all for nothing because they gave the country to the people we fought for all those years and then to rub salt into the wounds they renamed my favorite street in Durban North after them! So the short answer is make it close to a decent hotel... I don't camp anymore.

Then I think my initially suggestion is still a good option. Central, all options on accommodation, venues for central meet, fishing, etc:

What about at the Vanderkloof holiday resort near Petrusville. Lots of accomodation and venues at the resort. And lots more accommodation nearby.
http://www.vanderkloofdam.co.za/vanderkloof-holiday-resort/
Outside of school holidays will probably the best.

Petrusville, anything in that area - Colesburg, De Aar, old hotels,...i'm keen.
Farm camping might not be ok for everyone, and maybe more organisation needed, like for ablutions. And subject to weather at the time.
Whatever - anything around there, love it.

That Vanderkloof web page/site doesn't have pics. So...
https://www.google.com/search?q=(Vanderkloof OR petrusville)&rlz=1C1AVSX_enZA401ZA401&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=D97wU8KXH_TT7AbZoYHoBg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1366&bih=653#imgdii=_

5321256288_79fc1d6bdd_z.jpg

BEST-KEPT-BOATING-SECRETS-Vanderkloof-Dam4.jpg

PS: Might depend on how many people. Chalets and so on. Some people will only make up their minds a week or so before the time. So we would need a good estimate and then allow for a few more.

Last edited:

I agree 90%, but I've cut out the border camping etc. out of my memory, I still enjoy the odd camp in the bush with a joll as long as I don't have to see rows of go-carts or lillies or sleep in a fox hole.

I agree 90%, but I've cut out the border camping etc. out of my memory, I still enjoy the odd camp in the bush with a joll as long as I don't have to see rows of go-carts or lillies.

I got botulism poisoning at that orientation camp before deployment and that was traumatic in a big way I have never been able to eat tinned viennas since then... and every camp after that one I refused to eat tinned meat... hence my army nickname Sgt Pilchard! :D

I got botulism poisoning at that orientation camp before deployment and that was traumatic in a big way I have never been able to eat tinned viennas since then... and every camp after that one I refused to eat tinned meat... hence my army nickname Sgt Pilchard! :D

Weren't they called "ovambo-pielle"? regular gippo's was part of that time and apart from an ugly scar due to a "pine-apple" (claymore) and malaria, I survived but prefer not to think back, it brings too many bad memories that are better left dormant and only good for "dronkverdriet"

Weren't they called "ovambo-pielle"? regular gippo's was part of that time and apart from an ugly scar due to a "pine-apple" (claymore) and malaria, I survived but prefer not to think back, it brings too many bad memories that are better left dormant and only good for "dronkverdriet"

They were indeed called "ovambo-pielle"! I had forgotten that... I had gippos many times in my time in the army... but the botulism poisoning was a near death experience... never gonna do that again!

We can have a few brewskies at the Vape meet and talk about good old times and forget the bad old times! ;-)

They were indeed called "ovambo-pielle"! I had forgotten that... I had gippos many times in my time in the army... but the botulism poisoning was a near death experience... never gonna do that again!

We can have a few brewskies at the Vape meet and talk about good old times and forget the bad old times! ;-)

Never heard about "botulism" poisoning - googled it just know and is indeed potentially fatal!

ok, OT, and i'm going to move along before i start thinking of it any more, and my friend and i always used to say, whenever we all sit and talk, sure enough the army comes up...it was about 20 years before we got over that, but...you guys might like to read the memoirs of a Russian in Angola, around the time of Cuito Carnavale. Translated, pdf, called "We Never Saw It Even In Afghanistan." His role, and others with him, high-ranking officers, was to train Angolans. Which did not work out well, and there was one Russian who got into trouble because he thought the only way to deal with the Angolan soldiers was to klap them. Some interesting stuff. Sometimes, they didn't get much sleep or, when they did, they woke up with a BANG, days and weeks on end. The one story that i thought was so funny is about the message the South Africans sent to the Russians, pamphlet bombs, shortly before they did an attack.

We had our Paintball Nationals at Gariep Dam, Nice resort and caters for campers and they have some nice chalets that are very comfy.
BUT the major problem with having it smack dab in the middle of the country is EVERYONE will have to drive a hell of a long way, my suggestion is to have it in a major city, this way it will be easy to fly in, have the meet and then fly out. Before you tell me its expensive to fly, just remember that it is exactly 1000km from where I am to Gariep Dam, that is alot of petrol there and back and one hell of a drive.
I would say have it in Cape Town or Jhb. Having it there will also encourage some who dont vape to attend whereas if you have it at a resort in the middle of nowhere it will only be the 10 forumites who can afford to go.

We had our Paintball Nationals at Gariep Dam, Nice resort and caters for campers and they have some nice chalets that are very comfy.
BUT the major problem with having it smack dab in the middle of the country is EVERYONE will have to drive a hell of a long way, my suggestion is to have it in a major city, this way it will be easy to fly in, have the meet and then fly out. Before you tell me its expensive to fly, just remember that it is exactly 1000km from where I am to Gariep Dam, that is alot of petrol there and back and one hell of a drive.
I would say have it in Cape Town or Jhb. Having it there will also encourage some who dont vape to attend whereas if you have it at a resort in the middle of nowhere it will only be the 10 forumites who can afford to go.
Good point. Makes sense. Just did't want anyone to feel it's unfair.

That is a good point, but if you are more than one vaper in the car it does become considerably more affordable. Yes, time on the road, but for me it will take about the same time to go to the airport, fly, get off, hire a car to get to the venue, drive to the venue. And hiring a car will not be cheap.

That is a good point, but if you are more than one vaper in the car it does become considerably more affordable. Yes, time on the road, but for me it will take about the same time to go to the airport, fly, get off, hire a car to get to the venue, drive to the venue. And hiring a car will not be cheap.

I know they are slow, but what about the bus. Imagine a bus full of vapers lol

denver-bus-smoke4.jpg

Back