Onion Flavoured Kayfun

devdev

respice adspice prospice
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
I have been using the PMMA clear tank and chimney section on my KF3.1

I have been getting a slightly nasty taste coming through with fruity tasting juices, but thought maybe the juice had gone a bit off.

Last night I rinsed the KF3.1, did a rebuild, and roasted the Ekowool I used in the coil.

I reassembled it with the PMMA clear sections and from the first hit the nasty flavour was there, this time with Tark's Aztec.

I have just stripped the KF3.1 completely and soaked the parts in vodka, I hope this gets to the bottom of the bad taste. It tastes a bit metallic, or almost like a onion. Very naar.

Currently I have three suspects:

1. Vrot juice/soapy liquid in the well under the positive pin
2. The PMMA clear section
3. The Ekowool

Anyone had this nasty flavour in their gear before?

I had to boil my kayfun when I got it. But that was a whole new kayfun not only the clear section.

I soak my kf 3.1 and pmma tank with chimney etc in boiling hot water with a bit of sunlight soap, then i rinse it off afterwards and let it dry.

Perhaps it's some old juice left in the catch cup under the base?

Sent from my S4 LTE using my finger

Just remove the screw going through the 510 connector and unscrew the base part from the connector part, you'll be able to clean the well out then.

Sent from my S4 LTE using my finger

Yeah, the catch cup is what I was referring to in point 1, that is also my prime suspect.

I was shocked that it was so pronounced last night, since I did a complete rebuild with new components.

And I wasted a tank of Tark's Aztec as well

It could also be the PMMA tank leaching off into the juices.

Try using the metal section and see if you get the same taste.

If you are getting the same taste then you would need to do a thorough clean of the kayfun, if the taste is gone then it would indicate that the PMMA tank needs a good soak or it is leaching into your juices.

Hope that helps

I'm back to using cotton, after a few days of ekowool. Just about all my juices have a much nicer/richer flavour for me with cotton.

Thanks guys. Went back to basics

Soaked it all in vodka, although there was nothing visible inside.

Then when reassembling I decided to flush the filling hole. There was a lot of muck in there.

1.4 ohm coil, eko wool pushed through a 28g 1.6 ID micro coil, and all tastes good again...

And this time I rebuilt with the metal section.

I have my suspicions about the PMMA, but I am sure someone else would have had that problem

Then when reassembling I decided to flush the filling hole. There was a lot of muck in there.

1.4 ohm coil, eko wool pushed through a 28g 1.6 ID micro coil, and all tastes good again...

I have my suspicions about the PMMA, but I am sure someone else would have had that problem
Are you running the full PMMA kit, i.e. the chimney section of the tank is PMMA as well or is just the tank section PMMA?

If you are running a PMMA chimney then I would suspect that it is the chimney that is causing the issue

Also could just be the muck that was stuck in the fill hole that was causing the off taste.

Was using both the chimney and the outer section. All back to stock now...

My new problem is that I actually don't like the Aztec, but I have it on the Sigelei and trying some different power settings to see where this juice works best for me.

I'm back to using cotton, after a few days of ekowool. Just about all my juices have a much nicer/richer flavour for me with cotton.

Have any of you gotten Ekowool Itch?

After handling it I get quite itchy where it was touching me, that is only after it is torched though

Was using both the chimney and the outer section. All back to stock now...

My new problem is that I actually don't like the Aztec, but I have it on the Sigelei and trying some different power settings to see where this juice works best for me.
Give the tank a try with the metal chimney and the PMMA tank, I have run that configuration on my kayfun and have not had any issues.

As for Aztec, cant comment on that as I have not tried yet, however perhaps try using it on higher and low ohm coils as different flavours tend to shine at different temps.

Casing point would be VM4 for me. At 1.4ohms the caramel and vanilla overpowers the tobacco in there (being way too sweet for me) and at 0.8ohms the tobacco overpowers the caramel and vanilla (being way too tobacco spice for me). However at 10hm to 1.2ohms I have found my happy place and the balance of flavours is just right.

Yip, that's why its on the 20w Sigelei. Busy trying the range trying to find the sweet spot

After handling it I get quite itchy where it was touching me, that is only after it is torched though
Isn't ekowool basically a silica outer with a cotton inner?

If so perhaps some of the silica fibers got stuck in your finger?

Isn't ekowool basically a silica outer with a cotton inner?

If so perhaps some of the silica fibers got stuck in your finger?
Ekowool is basically braided silica. They do sell one with a cotton inner, but do not think any of those have reached SA yet.

No itch that I'm aware of, although the end of my one pinkie finger is swollen and itching like mad, that is caused by chilblains.

So basically you have trench foot on your pinky finger?

That's pretty friggin intense!

So basically you have trench foot on your pinky finger?

That's pretty friggin intense!

:(
And my eldest son always suffers every winter, wish I could find a good fix.

Well for no apparent reason I have an onion flavour Kayfun 3.1 again....

This time with no PMMA sections at all, so I guess that rules it out...

I am going on the silica/Ewokool as being the culprit.

This means scrapping a whole tank of Tark's.... *sigh*

Can't wait for my two Russians to arrive. Had it with the clone RTAs

Lol @devdev stop throwing it away, use those needle bottles to suck out whats in there. Dont mix it back into the main batch, but atleast you dont have to throw away completely.

Are you drinking atleast 2 lt of water in your vaping day? If you dont have enough water in you things don't taste like they should.

Maybe you have a leg thats shorting to a post and creating a weird flavour at that point ?

Lol @devdev stop throwing it away, use those needle bottles to suck out whats in there. Dont mix it back into the main batch, but atleast you dont have to throw away completely.

Are you drinking atleast 2 lt of water in your vaping day? If you dont have enough water in you things don't taste like they should.

Maybe you have a leg thats shorting to a post and creating a weird flavour at that point ?
I found that since switching to juices with VG in them (was using pure PG rubbish for a whole year) my body started craving water, I'm not a water drinker, never liked the stuff but now I'm really enjoying it :)

The onion flavour is really puzzling, is it only happening with that one flavour of juice? Does it happen after refilling? Perhaps trace amounts of juice left in there somewhere that when mixed with Tarks creates this awesome new flavour? Maybe some detergent is left n there after washing?

I have plugged the fill hole on the deck and only fill from the top, maybe try that.

I found that since switching to juices with VG in them (was using pure PG rubbish for a whole year) my body started craving water, I'm not a water drinker, never liked the stuff but now I'm really enjoying it :)

The onion flavour is really puzzling, is it only happening with that one flavour of juice? Does it happen after refilling? Perhaps trace amounts of juice left in there somewhere that when mixed with Tarks creates this awesome new flavour? Maybe some detergent is left n there after washing?

I have plugged the fill hole on the deck and only fill from the top, maybe try that.
Please could you maybe post a picture of where you fill it? @BumbleBee. Getting my original kayfun this weekend so have no clue where that could be. Please excuse me PM if I'm hi jacking the thread :whew:

Please could you maybe post a picture of where you fill it? @BumbleBee. Getting my original kayfun this weekend so have no clue where that could be. Please excuse me PM if I'm hi jacking the thread :whew:
Check this vid out, short and to the point. I don't bother with the wooden 'plug'

Back