Pay It Forward.

It's also a bit more than just a mod that would be needed in the taste box... Batteries and charger would be needed aswell. With a detailed page on how not to blow your face off... perhaps a mech mod wouldn't be a good idea.

Maybe just an RDA?

Sorry guys, I disagree with including the hardware in the taste box.

The taste box is to help people find flavours that they may not have tried otherwise.

I don't think it should be a portable system that travels around with the taste box. The taste box users should be expected to have their own setup so that they can find what works for them.

Some folks are very hard on gear, some gear fails for no reason. If the person before me has hammered the hardware, and it fails within 10 mins of me getting it, who is to blame? How do I prove that it wasn't me when the previous recipient claims they sent it to me in working order? Who covers the cost for this?

From a hygiene perspective I think this is a bit gross as well. It's not practical, financially sensible, and will be a real pain to monitor.

As I see it we have two separate initiatives, PIF and the tastebox. They serve two different purposes and we should not try and make a bastardized hybrid step child out of the two. It will simply be a disaster.

Just my 2c, and with that I got my serious post for the day out of the way.

It's like sending around a shareware program to your friends.

They can try it, if they like it great. If it doesn't work on their system then they must get a new PC.

You can't send around your old PC for everyone to try the shareware on.

If we really want to consider this, then maybe we should have hardware rigs that can be rented for a week, or two weeks or whatever. Those rental fees could be collected as donations towards the forum or even Afriville

I tend to agree with @devdev and I also think the person mentioned above is an exception to the rule. Most if not all people receiving the taste box own proper devices. My suggestion; rather PIF an adequate device to the mentioned individual.

Sorry guys, I disagree with including the hardware in the taste box.

The taste box is to help people find flavours that they may not have tried otherwise.

I don't think it should be a portable system that travels around with the taste box. The taste box users should be expected to have their own setup so that they can find what works for them.

Some folks are very hard on gear, some gear fails for no reason. If the person before me has hammered the hardware, and it fails within 10 mins of me getting it, who is to blame? How do I prove that it wasn't me when the previous recipient claims they sent it to me in working order? Who covers the cost for this?

From a hygiene perspective I think this is a bit gross as well. It's not practical, financially sensible, and will be a real pain to monitor.

As I see it we have two separate initiatives, PIF and the tastebox. They serve two different purposes and we should not try and make a bastardized hybrid step child out of the two. It will simply be a disaster.

Just my 2c, and with that I got my serious post for the day out of the way.
Nothing to be sorry about, we need synergy to get the best decisions. I agree with you. The idea might be great, but in practice there are some problems.
Maybe we should leave it with the PIF Boss and the Taste Box Boss to make a final decision (and take the responsibility) once they have considered all the inputs here.

Absolutely @Matthee the final decision must be in the hands of the respective bosses of the two initiatives.

I appreciate that my thoughts on the matter will be taken into consideration, and will still support both initiatives, whichever way the decision goes :)

The only other thing I will say is that you have (for probably the hundredth time this week) made a post which again displays your five star diplomacy

CAN WE PLEASE GIVE THIS MAN A DIPLOMAT MEDAL! @Rob Fisher @Silver @Gizmo

And once he has his medal perhaps we can dispatch him to settle the dispute between Ukraine and Russia?

I have read the postings on the PIF system and on the Taste Box.

I agree with @devdev on the taste box. Sending around hardware is not good in my opinion. It's to taste flavours on your hardware, not on other hardware. After all its a juice box, not a hardware demo box.

On the PIF initiative, I also agree that it's not a good idea to publicly post what's available. This is not a wish list for people to pick and choose from, I think it should be something that is proactively given to someone. (unless I have missed the point of it). Think about the successful PIFs before. I think the success of these initiatives was the thoughtfulness that went into the gesture and the knowledge of who wanted or needed what. If one tries to turn it into a system then I think some of the spirit is lost.

Just my views

Absolutely @Matthee the final decision must be in the hands of the respective bosses of the two initiatives.

I appreciate that my thoughts on the matter will be taken into consideration, and will still support both initiatives, whichever way the decision goes :)

The only other thing I will say is that you have (for probably the hundredth time this week) made a post which again displays your five star diplomacy

CAN WE PLEASE GIVE THIS MAN A DIPLOMAT MEDAL! @Rob Fisher @Silver @Gizmo

And once he has his medal perhaps we can dispatch him to settle the dispute between Ukraine and Russia?
Thanks, I once got kicked off a government negotiating team against the mighty EU for cutting through all the bull and asking too many awkward questions, so your compliment is truly appreciated.

What about trading hardware for something else ? And perhaps paying in a cash difference which could go towards the site or perhaps buying starter kits for noobs ?

I need new gear and I wouldn't mind giving my old stuff with a difference for something better

Just my opinion

What about trading hardware for something else ? And perhaps paying in a cash difference which could go towards the site or perhaps buying starter kits for noobs ?
Nope, no trading in or cash handling imo. Will complicate the system and undermine the spirit. If someone has a need, the PIF Boss can be contacted. If that same someone has gear to contribute, contact the PIF Boss.

In regards to identifying needs, would a simple nomination be a good idea? In the sense that if, for example, I notice someone who is in need of something and I am not in a position to help them, I contact @TylerD and nominate the person. From there on it will be up to the PIF group to decide whether or not the need is there and how they may be able to assist.

In regards to identifying needs, would a simple nomination be a good idea? In the sense that if, for example, I notice someone who is in need of something and I am not in a position to help them, I contact @TylerD and nominate the person. From there on it will be up to the PIF group to decide whether or not the need is there and how they may be able to assist.
Absolutely spot on. Just PM @TylerD.

@devdev your comments and analogies are spot on. I really hadn't thought of it that way. Just from a hygiene point of view I agree 100%
Also I think having to setup a RBA/RDA could scare newbies back to stinkies.
The taste box will remain as is without any hardware.

Also agree with @devdev here. No use for me trying Battlefield 4 on my friend's i5, R5750 Xfire PC and then thinking it will play just as nice on my G2030 GT640 PC.

I understand the concerns and noted it. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Also, I think it should stay pure in it's initial purpose. No exchanges and cash etc!

I want to send a HUGE THANK YOU shout out to @devdev (i asked @TylerD if it was okay first) for my amazing gift!!! I feel truly blessed :) Dev you are one truly amazing dude!!! Thank you, thank you, thank yoooooou sooooo much!!!! WOW!!!!

IMG-20140409-WA0000.jpg

I want to send a HUGE THANK YOU shout out to @devdev (i asked @TylerD if it was okay first) for my amazing gift!!! I feel truly blessed :) Dev you are one truly amazing dude!!! Thank you, thank you, thank yoooooou sooooo much!!!! WOW!!!!

@devdev rocks! I can feel something coming on... is it? Can it be? Yes it may well be... YES it's a group hug!

GroupHug6.jpg

The vaping family!

Back