Petri RTA - Best Build?

Hwsit Buddy

I love my petri and have it in my daily rotation

If you having flavour issues then the best thing is to start with a simple build and work up from there.

My goto is 26g kanthal , 3mm id with 9 wraps

When wicking with baconv2 I tend to take a piece that's slightly bigger than the id and gently roll it. It may seem like a little cotton but you want something that wicks fast.

After threading it through my coils I trim it flush with the outside of the base and then tuck it down. Make sure it's away from the grub screws. I tend to push the cotton away from the sides of the deck more towards the juice holes on the chimney.

I then remove the centre pin and remove the deck from the base, juice up the wicks and insert the deck into the chimney. Before pushing it in I check that the wicks are not sticking out or getting caught in the thread . Then screw on the base and the centre pin. (Doing it in this order never leaks for me)

Open the airflow and fill the tank. Start off around 35w and work your way up .
Thanks, I do not have any plain kanthal wire. Only twisted kanthal and other similar kanthal reels of wire.

I have some 26g NiChrome and 24g SS316L though. I will try with less cotton, that could be the issue I am experiencing.
Normally my cotton is just snug in the coil. Pulls through the coil with relative ease, can pull it back and forth without it getting stuck or pulling the cotton apart. You can pull the cotton outside ways and the mod won't move etc.

For interest sake, why do you try keep it away from the grub screws? Want to try have more cotton in the wicking channel for quicker and more efficient wicking? When I screw on the chimney, the chimney pushes some of the cotton to the grub screws, however there is still plenty cotton left in the wicking channel section.

@rev2xtc I currently have that SS build in there, 10 wraps 3mm ID. So will perhaps just rewick it with less Cotton Bacon v2 and see how she vapes then.

Thanks, I do not have any plain kanthal wire. Only twisted kanthal and other similar kanthal reels of wire.

I have some 26g NiChrome and 24g SS316L though. I will try with less cotton, that could be the issue I am experiencing.
Normally my cotton is just snug in the coil. Pulls through the coil with relative ease, can pull it back and forth without it getting stuck or pulling the cotton apart. You can pull the cotton outside ways and the mod won't move etc.

For interest sake, why do you try keep it away from the grub screws? Want to try have more cotton in the wicking channel for quicker and more efficient wicking? When I screw on the chimney, the chimney pushes some of the cotton to the grub screws, however there is still plenty cotton left in the wicking channel section.

@rev2xtc I currently have that SS build in there, 10 wraps 3mm ID. So will perhaps just rewick it with less Cotton Bacon v2 and see how she vapes then.

juice ur wicks first then shape into channel with tweezers to keep away from grubs

The nichrome should be perfect to use!

You want juice to flow straight from the juice holee up to the coils.

I slot the deck into the chimney first and then screw on the base. This prevents any cotton from moving around . It's also buffed up so that it's almost at the edge of the juice holes.

@PsyCLown , I have been looking at your build deck from the pics you posted and the airflow holes look different somewhat to mine, like the metal around the airflow hole is abnormally thicker. Could just be my eyes screwing with me..

Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG

Interesting, I could measure it and we can compare. See whether it is just an illusion or whether the dimensions are actually off.

I got it as a gift, it was sold as an authentic Petri. I can find out from which store it was purchased from. I guess it could be possible that it is a clone and not really an authentic Petri RTA.

So I met up with @Idiot and we tried to wick it a bit differently with the SS build I had in there and I think it was a wicking issue. I felt the flavour was lacking a bit with the SS build so we decided to put the "Alien Clapton" coil back in (single coil, however over the airflow and not in the middle of the deck).

Flavour improved however that off taste came back and we both think it is wicking related somehow. I really don't know why I am struggling with this tank. Soo many say it is soo easy to wick. I have watched a few YouTube vids as well and in terms of what I am doing wicking wise doesn't seem very different.

I suspect the trick may be to thin out the ends of the cotton a lot more than I usually do. Left the tank with Idiot for now to play around with for a bit and will take it from there. I had ordered a Petri clone from China a while back and it is ready for collection so I will go through and collect the clone this weekend and then I can compare the two side by side as well.

So quick update to this thread.

So my Petri RTA was purchased from Lung Candy, it is a proper authentic Petri RTA.
I also received the clone Petri RTA and compared it to the authentic one (SXK clone) and there are some differences, mainly the colour, airflow holes as well as the wicking holes. Flavour wise the SXK is really good too.

@Idiot and his friend helped me to set it up properly. HOLY MOLY! This tank is GREAT!
I have a 7 wrap 26g NiChrome build in here. So the thing I was doing wrong was a lot... Ok, two or three things.

1. The coils were too close to the airflow holes. Best is to keep the same length of the airflow holes as the distance between the coil and the airflow.
2. My coils were very far away from the chimney, I could not see them if I looked down the chimney and now I can. So they are further away from the airflow holes.
3. I was not trimming my cotton nearly enough, gotta really trim it on this deck! Once trimmed it wicks beautifully and does not leak.

Flavour is intense and consistent, airflow and vape is soooo smoooth, refilling is easy as pie and with this NiChrome build low wattages are superb and save my battery. 35w is good, 40w is great and you can go higher if you desire. Nice long pulls, warm vape, wicks perfectly and flavour and clouds for days. Fogs up a room easily but that flavour is really great and consistently so.

I have yet to open it up and play with it since they helped me out with a build, I am almost too scared to as it is just soo great but I am excited to when I finally need to rewick as I can use it to improve on my building skills.
I was super close to selling this tank, I am glad I did not. I went though 4 tanks of juice tonight while sitting and chatting to Idiot as well. He is running my Petri clone as well and loving it.

Hey guys,

I've been building on my petri RTA (authentic) for the last 2 months, and only recently got the ultimate flavour production that everyone is talking about.

Some things I did differently this time around:

1. I used cotton bacon - I generally prefer kendo but I realized it just wasn't doing the trick. The thickness of the wick initially when threading it through the coils allowed some tension without just being able to pull it through. I then trimmed it inline with the end of the base, and thinned it out slightly and trimmed off the excess.

2. I aligned my coils (Twisted messes n80 fused clappies) directly above the airflow holes, which I generally do for these kind of RTA's. Only different this time was that I raised my coils a couple of mm's above the holes, not directly on it - if that makes sense. When closing it the tank, it should almost touch the inner chimney initially. I feel like this step made all the difference, though, I could be wrong.

3. To avoid leaking (and trust me, this tank was initially annoying the hell out of me for the first month or so because of how much it leaked), I chose not to prime my coils too much initially. I would also vape it close to dry before topping up, adding just 1ml, with airflow holes closed, and letting it wick for at least 30 seconds before filling it to the brim.

I was close to selling this bad boy until I gave it one more shot, and I'm all too glad I did.

Hope this helps.

PS, apologies for no pics, the tank is full and I ain't taking it apart now :)

I've had massive success with this build. As @incredible_hulllk says thin the ends abit.

7 wraps ss316l 3mm id cotton bacon v2.
<Image Removed for quoting>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this. Got my Petri clone today and immediately went for this build. Simple and a really nice vape!

Tried something different today.

11 wrap ss316l 3mm id with 26ga wire. Comes in at 0,4ohms. I also raised the coils more than I normally do. Wicks end thinned as normal.

Flavor is amazing, vaping Vapor Mountain XXX and the menthol hasn't come through as strong as it is now.

Sorry for no pics.

Tried something different today.

11 wrap ss316l 3mm id with 26ga wire. Comes in at 0,4ohms. I also raised the coils more than I normally do. Wicks end thinned as normal.

Flavor is amazing, vaping Vapor Mountain XXX and the menthol hasn't come through as strong as it is now.

Sorry for no pics.

What wicking material you using @rev2xtc ?

Hey guys!

So I received a Petri RTA (authentic) for xmas and have been really enjoying it but I cannot seem to find the perfect build in there and am getting a bit annoyed with it now.

So far the best build I have used has been the standard claptons it comes with.
I tried some normal NiChrome coils, some spaced NiChrome coils as well.

I found the claptons got really hot and the flavour was good but not consistently great.
I was running them at 60W.

I haven't tried a single coil, I have some Aliens but haven't tried those either.
Wicked with both Cotton Candy and Cotton Bacon v2.

What have you guys tried and what has worked the best - also any tips & tricks for this tank would be great!

Thanks,
Psy

Hey bud.

Had my tank now for a while. I'm running a 5 wrap (29g * 2 fused with 38g) all ni80 around a 3mm id. I will not sway from this build it works and it's awesome.

I will agree that the coils it comes with make the tank bloody hot and in my view slightly unpleasant to vape.

Hey guys!

So I received a Petri RTA (authentic) for xmas and have been really enjoying it but I cannot seem to find the perfect build in there and am getting a bit annoyed with it now.

So far the best build I have used has been the standard claptons it comes with.
I tried some normal NiChrome coils, some spaced NiChrome coils as well.

I found the claptons got really hot and the flavour was good but not consistently great.
I was running them at 60W.

I haven't tried a single coil, I have some Aliens but haven't tried those either.
Wicked with both Cotton Candy and Cotton Bacon v2.

What have you guys tried and what has worked the best - also any tips & tricks for this tank would be great!

Thanks,
Psy
Hi to all my fellow forum Petri fans. I could use some help, of late my Petri has been leaking like a sieve.While l like most things about the RTA it does have it's flaws that I'm sure most will agree on.My main con is it is not the easiest to build on due to the floating deck ala Moonshot.(why does anyone think this is a good idea?) Any suggestions on wicking or whatever will help me enjoy this otherwise beautiful flavor machine? I have read the above answers and watched many videos but any additional assistance would be great.

Last edited:
Hi to all my fellow forum Petri fans. I could use some help, of late my Petri has been leaking like a sieve.While l like most things about the RTA it does have it's flaws that I'm sure most will agree on.My main con is it is not the easiest to build on due to the floating deck ala Moonshot.(why does anyone think this is a good idea?) Any suggestions on wicking or whatever will help me enjoy this otherwise beautiful flavor machine? I have read the above answers and watched many videos but any additional assistance would be great.

I have 3mm 24g 6wrap flat wire coming in at 0.09 ohms vaping it at 80w and its perfect.

What I do is put the 510 pin in the base and screw the deck down so it doesn't spin when I wick.

Cotton bacon or vapers choice cotton , snug fit and trim at the base fluff it out real nice and put the rest of the tank on without tucking the wicks in the channels and without juicing it , the airholes and juice control must be facing away from each other to avoid leaks

I have 3mm 24g 6wrap flat wire coming in at 0.09 ohms vaping it at 80w and its perfect.

What I do is put the 510 pin in the base and screw the deck down so it doesn't spin when I wick.

Cotton bacon or vapers choice cotton , snug fit and trim at the base fluff it out real nice and put the rest of the tank on without tucking the wicks in the channels and without juicing it , the airholes and juice control must be facing away from each other to avoid leaks
I will try this and let you know how I make out

How old is your petri rta? Maybe the o-ring on the floating deck is getting worn and needs replacing. It's an area of concern for me with this atty as juice could seep down into the air channels this way.

How old is your petri rta? Maybe the o-ring on the floating deck is getting worn and needs replacing. It's an area of concern for me with this atty as juice could seep down into the air channels this way.
It's about three months old. I am going to try shabbars' wicking method and if it still leaks out of the air holes maybe I will check and change the O rings if necessary.

Well I tried to follow your method as best I could and filled it about one third full without any leaks,so far so good.Then after letting the wicks soak I figured good to go.Wrong!Filled it up and opened the airflow and let the leaking begin! I can't say how many mls of juice I've lost trying to get this thing to wick correctly. I have watched umpteen videos and tried numerous ways to do this and I 'm ready to shit can this expensive failure. I initially had no issues at first with it but after about five weeks the leaking began. I will never understand why any tank is designed with the retarded spinning deck. I think it is part of the problem because it is hard to line things up. I'll try Huff's suggestion on the O rings. If that doesn't work I am going to crush it.

Well I just screwed with this god forsaken thing for two hrs.watched five wicking tutorials following them to the letter and I am more frustrated than ever.The floating deck drives me crazy.So I'm going to put it to bed and maybe I will have a cool head later.Sorry to whine but the forum is a good place to vent.

Well I just screwed with this god forsaken thing for two hrs.watched five wicking tutorials following them to the letter and I am more frustrated than ever.The floating deck drives me crazy.So I'm going to put it to bed and maybe I will have a cool head later.Sorry to whine but the forum is a good place to vent.
Bloody thing drove me mad as well.
Tried numerous wicking methods etc.

I'll do a rebuild later today and post pics if I get a chance but make sure the Base scew is tight as well befoe fitting the Base 510 thingy.

Sorry I don't have a petri with me now but my problem was the small base that the 510 goes into the deck. If you unscrew the 510 completely there's a little nut/washer on the under side of the deck. Mine was loose and solved my issues.

But agree it's the most ridiculous rta...they have learnt and the 24mm rta has a different wicking system

so screw the deck into the base and it should not spin . what cotton are you using ? is your airflow when open facing away from your juiceflow ?

i hated this tank when i first got it , it pissed out juice when filled to the top or left on its side but now all that is sorted and im getting a stellar vape.

try a 2.5mm ID , 6wrap 24g ni80

so screw the deck into the base and it should not spin . what cotton are you using ? is your airflow when open facing away from your juiceflow ?

i hated this tank when i first got it , it pissed out juice when filled to the top or left on its side but now all that is sorted and im getting a stellar vape.

try a 2.5mm ID , 6wrap 24g ni80
@shabbar , @incredible_hullk ,@Christos , thanks for all the help, I 'd say not to go through the trouble I've put on you guys but I would be wasting my time,this forum never ceases to amaze me with it's members kindness.Anyway after a fresh start I've got it working much better.Not perfect but passable.Seems if I don't fill it to the top it's o.k.Once again I have to ask why a quality bit of gear would be designed this way?And though the Moonshot shares this method I don't struggle with it like this one.BTW,I've used every wicking material I have (rayon,cotton bacon,kendo) and I'm sure I have it aligned properly and I changed the O rings.

Back