RIP my modem

Hi Ho what you describe is how my pain and anguish with fibre started and just got worse... I had to reboot that stupid router all the time and on the last morning I had to reboot 8 times before I lost my mind and phoned my techie and told him to bring me a REAL ROUTER!

That Telkom router is a piece of crap! I replaced it with a Netgear Router and haven't had so much as a blip since then!

I have had quite a bit of feedback since my post on FB and the symptoms others are having are the VERY SAME!

Bottom Line: Throw that silly router into the gorge... if you don't have a gorge throw it into the bin!

Thanks @Rob Fisher , but you have fiber so forgive me for the ignorant question, but how come you had this huawei one if its for adsl?

And what Netgear did you get?

Thanks @Rob Fisher , but you have fiber so forgive me for the ignorant question, but how come you had this huawei one if its for adsl?

And what Netgear did you get?

The Fibre link has it's own box and then there is a cable from it to the WiFi and Network Router. It's the Router that was the problem.

The Netgear Router (N750) I got is overkill but if I upgrade my LAN at some stage it will handle it. And while I have been hard wired to the network everyone else in the house is on WiFi and they have been whining since Fibre was installed and wanted to go back to ADSL. Now everyone is very happy!
NetGear 001.JPG

Thanks @Rob Fisher

Much appreciated
I am wondering if that Netgear you have would work for me - I don't think it can connect directly into the phone line or if it has the ADSL built in. I don't see any mention of ADSL on the box. It sounds like a super duper wifi device though.

But I think I must get a similar type of Netgear device to be my ADSL+wifi device.

Thanks @Rob Fisher

Much appreciated
I am wondering if that Netgear you have would work for me - I don't think it can connect directly into the phone line or if it has the ADSL built in. I don't see any mention of ADSL on the box. It sounds like a super duper wifi device though.

But I think I must get a similar type of Netgear device to be my ADSL+wifi device.

It does have a telco port but it's probably overkill. I would just chat to your techie and ask him for a decent ADSL WiFi Router from Netgear.

It does have a telco port but it's probably overkill. I would just chat to your techie and ask him for a decent ADSL WiFi Router from Netgear.

Thanks Rob, much appreciated - will do

Huawei would not be my first choice but try some basics before spending more money
Update modem/router firmware
Temporarily bypass the ADSL Filter and see if it improves. About R20-50 to replace.
Make sure that your telephone line does not run parallel to power cables. Induction causes serious interference.
If problem is with the ADSL and not wifi (and your router has a WAN port) consider the dlink dsl2500u (about R250). Purely ADSL modem but very stable compared to my netgear.

I'm no fan of D-link but this little guy is a solid performer.

Linksys, asus, netgear in order of preference, although my personal favorites have no ADSL built in. Separate ADSL Modem required

@Silver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @n00b13
Much appreciated
I may PM you to get in touch next week

Hi guys

This goes out to the technical boffins - i know there are plenty on here ;-)

Since installing the new Telkom supplied Huawei HG532F wifi adsl modem, my internet is back up and things are generally good

However, i do notice that sometimes my connection "hangs" for a second or two - when I am browsing the web and clicking on something. I have to then click again or click elsewhere. Its asif things freeze for a moment.

I never had this with my previous modem (Telkom supplied Netgear DGN2200M). That was smooth all the time.

I have a 4MBit/sec adsl and Speedtest is consistently showing about 3.2Mbps as it always did. But with this modem i am finding my ping times are all over the place sometimes 160ms. With the old modem it was always around 20-30ms. Nothing else has changed.

I know @Rob Fisher recently posted that this huawei router was not so good but i think his application is fiber.

Am wondering if perhaps there are any settings that need to be tweaked on this modem or should I just go out and buy a different one and keep this as a spare?

Dont get me wrong, it works quite well - but I am noticing a few glitches occasionally which drives me up the wall.

Can anyone offer any advice on this or has anyone experienced a simimlar thing?

Get rid of the modem. erractic ping times indicates either your line is "dirty" or you have a crap modem. Huawei normally makes good kit, but i have found all kit made for Telkom seem to be sub-standard, even the Telkom branded Netgear kit. At the moment i rate Netgear (non-Hellkom brand) as the best VDSL router around and Cisco for fibre, (has an awesome management console/web interface)

This week i lost my 4th router within 2years to lightning..and today i am getting my 5th..going to get another cheap one in case i lose it again..one netgear, kne tp-link and two d-links.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

This week i lost my 4th router within 2years to lightning..and today i am getting my 5th..going to get another cheap one in case i lose it again..one netgear, kne tp-link and two d-links.

This is one of the big reasons to try get your ISP to upgrade your lines to fibre. Copper networks are great at transmitting electrical signals, including lightening, and the modem is the first obstacle to this power surge. Lightening strikes do not need to be direct, they could be kilometres away, and still effect your modem

This is one of the big reasons to try get your ISP to upgrade your lines to fibre. Copper networks are great at transmitting electrical signals, including lightening, and the modem is the first obstacle to this power surge. Lightening strikes do not need to be direct, they could be kilometres away, and still effect your modem
No planned upgrades in my area anytime soon! Also forgot to mention 2nd time our phones got destroyed too!

Installed a Netgear modem

And

Voila - working like a dream again. It's only been a couple hours but so far so good. No 'sticking' or erratic behaviour like I had from the damn Huawei for the past two weeks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457897393.237233.jpg

This little guy is a champion!

I was quite lucky because my father in law had one which he wasn't using. The exact one I had that got it's phone port nuked by lightning.

Anyway all is well now. The internet is faster , smoother and way more responsive.

Thanks to @Rob Fisher , @n00b13 , @WARMACHINE and @Rowan Francis for the help and consolement in my time of sticky non responsive internet.

Moral of the story: the huawei modem that TELKOM sells for ADSL is not good. Get a Netgear or other make rather

@Rob Fisher I am having the same moment you had when you replaced your modem and all was just well.

I am simply astounded that Telkom can supply that modem for ADSL

And i cant believe how things are so responsive now. Just clicking on alerts with the old modem was a hit and miss affair, sometimes it was super fast, sometimes it just stuck. Now its gliding along like an ice skate on an ice rink.

Edit - well its not that I cant believe it. I can. Its like it always was before my previous modem got broken. I just cant believe how the Huawei modem destroyed the experience...

@Rob Fisher I am having the same moment you had when you replaced your modem and all was just well.

I am simply astounded that Telkom can supply that modem for ADSL

And i cant believe how things are so responsive now. Just clicking on alerts with the old modem was a hit and miss affair, sometimes it was super fast, sometimes it just stuck. Now its gliding along like an ice skate on an ice rink.

Edit - well its not that I cant believe it. I can. Its like it always was before my previous modem got broken. I just cant believe how the Huawei modem destroyed the experience...

Yip every time I think how I suffered for so long before getting a Netgear I want to go kill someone! :-@

Installed a Netgear modem

And

Voila - working like a dream again. It's only been a couple hours but so far so good. No 'sticking' or erratic behaviour like I had from the damn Huawei for the past two weeks.

View attachment 48070

This little guy is a champion!

I was quite lucky because my father in law had one which he wasn't using. The exact one I had that got it's phone port nuked by lightning.

Anyway all is well now. The internet is faster , smoother and way more responsive.

Thanks to @Rob Fisher , @n00b13 , @WARMACHINE and @Rowan Francis for the help and consolement in my time of sticky non responsive internet.

Moral of the story: the huawei modem that TELKOM sells for ADSL is not good. Get a Netgear or other make rather

Great news @Silver. I'm using the same model at the moment (my old one, it's a little temperamental from load shedding days, but does the job in the meantime). Microserver got replaced last week, will order router and modem this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back