Show us your Builds - Kayfun, Russians & Similar

I had the night off and decided to try something I've been dying to do for a while. An inception coil mounted in chimney format on my KFL+. I used 28G Kanthal. Inner coil is 6 wraps around the needle of a needle bottle, then 6 wraps using some ingenuity :p Came out to 2.11ohm. My apologies for the quality of the pictures.

View attachment 3567
Can't really tell, but the coil is slightly tilted in this pic. The wraps lined up perfectly when looking head-on.

View attachment 3568
Firing her up.
View attachment 3569
Top view.

I will have to take pics of the wicking when I redo it. I basically pulled some cotton through in between the two coils and folded it back down towards the deck.
It takes a while to heat up, but when it does, it kicks like a mule! Excellent throat hit and vapour production. The flavour starts out great from cold and then becomes a little muted once the coil reaches temperature. Subsequent hits while the coil is still warm retains the flavour much better.

Wow that is incredible, superbly done. I have been trying that inception style for a while now on my Russian clone and it works but I just cannot seem to get the cotton wicking correct. It is either flooding or the cotton is not getting enough juice. Please, please, please show me how you wicked that beauty?

@Chop007 Unfortunately I had to pull apart my Kayfun over the weekend to fix the centre pin and did a new coil for it then. I never took any pics of wick at the end of the day.

The process that worked for me was to take quite a broad fluffy piece of cotton, roll one end to a point between your fingers. It will look roughly like a hand fan at this point. Feed the point through in between the inner and outer coils. I usually had to grab the point with a pair of tweezers at the bottom. As you pull it further down, the broader fluffy part will spread out. Clip the tip off so the bottom of the wick is sitting flush with the deck. Trim the fluff at the top so that it will fold over the outer coil and overlap by about 1mm. Repeat on the other side.

I found that it threatened to flood from time to time. When this happens, I would press the firing button a little before starting to pull and keep it depressed a little after ending the puff. If time allows I'll do another build like this over the weekend and take pics of the wick.

Hope this helps ;)

@Chop007 Unfortunately I had to pull apart my Kayfun over the weekend to fix the centre pin and did a new coil for it then. I never took any pics of wick at the end of the day.

The process that worked for me was to take quite a broad fluffy piece of cotton, roll one end to a point between your fingers. It will look roughly like a hand fan at this point. Feed the point through in between the inner and outer coils. I usually had to grab the point with a pair of tweezers at the bottom. As you pull it further down, the broader fluffy part will spread out. Clip the tip off so the bottom of the wick is sitting flush with the deck. Trim the fluff at the top so that it will fold over the outer coil and overlap by about 1mm. Repeat on the other side.

I found that it threatened to flood from time to time. When this happens, I would press the firing button a little before starting to pull and keep it depressed a little after ending the puff. If time allows I'll do another build like this over the weekend and take pics of the wick.

Hope this helps ;)
Cool thanks bro I will give it a spin when I get a gap. That sounds like it could work, maybe I will try run dual cotton threads, merged into one as it approaches the deck, thereby trying to create maximum wick and coil contact. Dig that coil, there is just something cool about that design and so nice to make. Thanks for help, super amped to try this now.

HI

My 1st attempt at a twisted micro coils. 2 x 28g 6/7 wraps @ 0.7ohms, on my KFL
This thing is mean...hy spoeg en spat ladit wit sit...20140415_213514_resized.jpg20140415_213837_resized.jpg 20140415_213844_resized.jpg ??

Super Rex! Nice coiling there! Any issues with leaking or gurgling?

I found that the twisted coil chucks so much vapour that I have trouble keeping up and need to be extra vigilant for condensation build-up in the drip tip ;)

Regarding the 4 channeled Kayfun:

I don't know how many forumites are still struggling with leaking and gurgling issues but here is a once-and-for-all solution.

Take the white spare silicon seal you get with Kayfun and stretch it over the 4 juice channels like in the picture. This seals each juice channel about halfway and thus allows you to wick this Kayfun like a normal 2 channeled Kayfun Lite Plus, or a Kayfun 3.1, or a Russian 91%.
DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Real simple easy solution to eliminate gurgling and leaking completely.

Ps. I filled this from the bottom without blocking the air hole with my finger.

This is what I was talking about today @Gizmo.

I suggest we monitor this idea for a week and if a few of us can confirm the result we publish it as a fact. The resellers can then inform future 4 channeled Kayfunners of this.

Honestly friends this is amazing! I've never been able to enjoy the Kayfun so thoroughly. No dry hits, no gurgling or leaking whatsoever and no diminished flavour, throat hit or vapour.

Let us rejoice! :)

Regarding the 4 channeled Kayfun:

I don't know how many forumites are still struggling with leaking and gurgling issues but here is a once-and-for-all solution.

Take the white spare silicon seal you get with Kayfun and stretch it over the 4 juice channels like in the picture. This seals each juice channel about halfway and thus allows you to wick this Kayfun like a normal 2 channeled Kayfun Lite Plus, or a Kayfun 3.1, or a Russian 91%.
View attachment 4067

View attachment 4068

Real simple easy solution to eliminate gurgling and leaking completely.

Ps. I filled this from the bottom without blocking the air hole with my finger.

This is what I was talking about today @Gizmo.

I suggest we monitor this idea for a week and if a few of us can confirm the result we publish it as a fact. The resellers can then inform future 4 channeled Kayfunners of this.

Honestly friends this is amazing! I've never been able to enjoy the Kayfun so thoroughly. No dry hits, no gurgling or leaking whatsoever and no diminished flavour, throat hit or vapour.

Let us rejoice! :)
Awesome stuff! Glad you sorted the Aquafun out. :D

4 Channeled Kayfun Report:

1st tank cleared. I carried this around with me. Not one single gurgle or even the hint of moisture at the air hole or drip tip.

Rewicked and refilled.

DSC_0144.jpg
This device is fantastic. Where before this trick I would have strongly advised against the 4 channeled Kayfun, I now wholeheartedly recommend it! Super!

Ps. The viscosity of the juice is that of 50/50 pg,vg so theoretically a thinner juice might still present a problem. I doubt it will, I just want to be thorough.

Seeing the correct way to wick a KF in your photo, I just wonder if the problems don't arise from putting the wick down into the channels like some others I've seen?

Seeing the correct way to wick a KF in your photo, I just wonder if the problems don't arise from putting the wick down into the channels like some others I've seen?

Laying your wicks down in the channels is thought of as a solution to the decreased vacuum of the 4 channeled Kayfun, blocking the channels with the wicks so to speak. It might work for some but it wasn't fail proof enough for me (confirmed with expert hands at the meet).

Hopefully we can receive some more feedback in the following days on what works for whom. Get this aquafun perfected once and for all.

4 Channeled Kayfun Report:

1st tank cleared. I carried this around with me. Not one single gurgle or even the hint of moisture at the air hole or drip tip.

Rewicked and refilled.

This device is fantastic. Where before this trick I would have strongly advised against the 4 channeled Kayfun, I now wholeheartedly recommend it! Super!

Ps. The viscosity of the juice is that of 50/50 pg,vg so theoretically a thinner juice might still present a problem. I doubt it will, I just want to be thorough.

I've been using almost exactly the same setup on my 4 channel kayfun for the past week, no issues with flooding or gurgling. and additionally I have enlarged the airhole to 2.5mm. But as thing are now. With a dual wire untwisted single coil (thanks to SmokyG for the pics) at 0.7ohm the flavour and TH are superb. I am using a very high PG juice, I think it's 80/20.

Hi Alex! I take it you are referring to these pictures. Awesome, thank you for this information.

Looking back I see @Rex_Bael also managing the Aquafun in a manner similar to yours.

The other sailor in the same boat whose opinion I'm looking forward to is Mister @devdev. All in good time.

Hi Alex! I take it you are referring to these pictures. Awesome, thank you for this information.

Looking back I see @Rex_Bael also managing the Aquafun in a manner similar to yours.

The other sailor in the same boat whose opinion I'm looking forward to is Mister @devdev. All in good time.

Yeah, those are the pics, that coil really does bring out a warm rich flavour for me.

Rebuilding kflp

ze8ahape.jpg

y4yre2u4.jpg

9e8ysyty.jpg

6amunage.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back