Snacks: Low carb, sugar-free, gluten-free

I had a wonderful weekend, delving into all my goodies from @Bumblebabe's shop https://livingproof.co.za/
Thank you so much for the little extras which you popped into the box, Bumblebabe! I gave the Sesame Seed Bar to my friend and she loved it. I gobbled up the others lol. I love the Sunflower Seed one!

View attachment 139681 View attachment 139682

View attachment 139683 View attachment 139684

I ordered more of the Nutty Professor's Granola, because it is DELICIOUS!!! This is the only thing that I've ever been able to eat first thing in the morning, but it's so good I could eat it for lunch and supper too - and sometimes I do when I don't feel like cooking! Bumblebabe, as you can see, the first packet is almost finished already - and that's since Friday!! I'll contact you about ordering this in bulk - seriously.

View attachment 139662 View attachment 139663

For breakfast I eat it with yoghurt. Spar makes a yoghurt which is quite low in carb and sugar, or I get Parmalat - also low in carbs.

View attachment 139665 View attachment 139666

Or just as is, as a snack ...

View attachment 139667

And some drinking choc for typical Cape Town winter nights i.e. cold, howling wind, horizontal rain ... One of my dogs is terrified of the wind. Clearly her ancestors are not Capetonians! I'm originally a Joburg gal, but oh, I love the wind in CT!

View attachment 139672 View attachment 139669

There's nothing better than rusks dipped in coffee ...

View attachment 139673 View attachment 139677

View attachment 139678

And finally, who can resist a chocolate biscuit - dunked, of course! @Bumblebabe I gave a friend of mine, who is also diabetic, a packet and she says they're delicious!

View attachment 139679

You've got a fantastic shop @Bumblebabe - and thank goodness for the Internet!!
I’m so happy you’re enjoying these!! *happy dance**

Lancewood yogurt is the best. We grab when it’s available.

Ps those cookies are yummy, it’s wonderful to hear she enjoys them too :inlove:

Tonight's dinner: three ingredient coconut bread with bacon lettuce and tomato.
View attachment 139700 View attachment 139702
Also noticed that the bacon contains dextrose won't be buying this brand again. Seems like hidden carbs are everywhere.
You would be amazed where carbs are hiding.

Sugar and gluten are both in all sweets and biscuits. Even ice cream has both.

A4F747CF-2C11-4E6B-A9F8-170090A71154.jpeg 1879DDD5-82B3-46E3-A69C-065F75FE5150.jpeg
Thanks @Friep, but if it's anything complex then don't worry - I hate cooking and usually do simple things only lol.

I've never been able to understand people who like cooking, like @Bumblebabe. Just look what it involves:

Planning your shopping so that you have all the ingredients
Doing the shopping
Prep: Washing, cutting, basting, grating
Cooking
Washing, drying, packing away the dishes

How much time does all of that take? Hours of work - for 10 mins. of eating. The expenditure doesn't merit the income.
Oh my gosh I hate cooking, shopping and making lists. BUT love eating lekker :D

Lasagne for tonight :inlove:

My wife made something awesome two eggs blended with cream cheese and vanilla essence wow this stuff is an amazing milkshake. No picture for this one went to quick.

Andre's Banting Bread
Mqn2tMx.jpg

During our more than 4 years of banting, I have tried many a banting bread recipe. None satisfied the real bread craving over a longer term. Until I cobbled together the recipe below, which represents a combination of ingredients found in different recipes.

The instant yeast gives the bread that home baked yeasty aroma, but subtly. Of course honey is not low in carbs, but most of the honey, if not all, gets consumed by the yeast as it converts the honey to carbon dioxide gas. This gets the dough to rise a bit higher than most banting breads.

Besides the many health benefits of Chia seeds, it also makes the bread more tasty and adds some bulk.

The apple cider adds a touch of sourdough taste.

Andre's Banting Bread
1 cup of lukewarm water
1 packet (10g) of instant yeast
1 tablespoon of honey
5 eggs
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
3 tablespoons of water
1 tablespoon of apple cider
2½ cups of almond flour
10 tablespoons of psyllium husks
1½ teaspoons of salt

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

This is not a big loaf. I use a silicone pan of around 240mm long, 100mm deep and 85mm wide. Use what you normally use for this size, greased.

Add the yeast, honey and lukewarm water to a glass container. Mix well and set aside for 5 minutes to allow the yeast to ferment.
Combine the 3 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of apple cider in a glass container. Add the chia seeds. Let it stand for 5 minutes to set.

Beat the eggs in your food processor or with an electric beater until frothy. Add the chia mixture, continue mixing. Add the almond flour, psyllium husks and salt - continue mixing. Add the yeast mixture and mix well.

Transfer the dough to your bread pan. Bake for 50 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.

Let the bread cool before removing from the pan.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Andre's Banting Bread
Mqn2tMx.jpg

During our more than 4 years of banting, I have tried many a banting bread recipe. None satisfied the real bread craving over a longer term. Until I cobbled together the recipe below, which represents a combination of ingredients found in different recipes.

The instant yeast gives the bread that home baked yeasty aroma, but subtly. Of course honey is not low in carbs, but most of the honey, if not all, gets consumed by the yeast as it converts the honey to carbon dioxide gas. This gets the dough to rise a bit higher than most banting breads.

Besides the many health benefits of Chia seeds, it also makes the bread more tasty and adds some bulk.

The apple cider adds a touch of sourdough taste.

Andre's Banting Bread
1 cup of lukewarm water
1 packet (10g) of instant yeast
1 tablespoon of honey
5 eggs
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
3 tablespoons of water
1 tablespoon of apple cider
2½ cups of almond flour
10 tablespoons of psyllium husks
1½ teaspoons of salt

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

This is not a big loaf. I use a silicone pan of around 240mm long, 100mm deep and 85mm wide. Use what you normally use for this size, greased.

Add the yeast, honey and lukewarm water to a glass container. Mix well and set aside for 5 minutes to allow the yeast to ferment.
Combine the water and apple cider in a glass container. Add the chia seeds. Let it stand for 5 minutes to set.

Beat the eggs in your food processor or with an electric beater until frothy. Add the chia mixture, continue mixing. Add the almond flour, psyllium husks and salt - continue mixing. Add the yeast mixture and mix well.

Transfer the dough to your bread pan. Bake for 50 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.

Let the bread cool before removing from the pan.

Enjoy.

@Andre is not only a Master Mixologist, but a Master Chef too - I can vouch for both!

Last edited:
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/bumblebabes-shop-has-been-robbed.t52593/#post-706247

but on the same day @Bumblebabe received an award for passing the Solgar Gold advisor course with flying colours.

This is some woman! She runs a business, cooks fantastic meals, cares for her family, studies, answers my PMs at night ... and smiles through it all. Oh, and let's not forget that she's recently celebrated a year off the stinkies!

I admire you so much @Bumblebabe!

Aw @Hooked
Thank you so much!

I love what I do and I love getting to know awesome people like you :h:

And @Bumblebabe does it again!

View attachment 142626

Congrats @Bumblebabe - and I might just join one of your online Banting programmes just to keep me on track!
Thank you @Hooked :inlove:

I’ve been very quiet about these because I was petrified of the out come, I’m ecstatic with my results :clap:

You are most welcome to join. The program is about the individual and what each person needs to make it work.

It’s incredible how much we all should know but no one bothers telling us. Learning the conventional way but seeing where it goes wrong is mind boggling. It’s all there.

Thank you again for your support and appreciation *hugs*

Last edited:
Our office tried snacks from Checkers’ healthy food range & this is what we thought
https://www.all4women.co.za/1624973/food-home/food-drink/healthy-food-range-from-checkers

"Checkers recently announced their healthy food range, Simple Truth, which has vegan, gluten-free and reduced-sugar options as well as fewer additives and preservatives.

Snack attack: Skinny Dipped Roasted Almonds
The box arrived and we announced that we would be taste testing in fifteen minutes. The office couldn’t wait so we began immediately. The first to go were the Dark Chocolate and Salted Caramel Flavoured Skinny Dipped Roasted Almonds (30g, R12.99 and also available in mint) and no one only had one! We were all pleasantly surprised and kind of sad that we only got a small bag.

Cookie monsters: Reduced Sugar Coconut Cookies
Here at the All4Women Foodie HQ we take our cookies very seriously. We love treats and were sceptical about the reduced sugar label. The Reduced Sugar Coconut Cookies (150g, R19.99, also available in Oat Crunchies and Double Choc Chip) were delicious!

“They taste like an EetSumMor and Tennis Biscuit had a food baby”. You can’t taste that there is less sugar and it tastes amazing dunked in a cup of tea.”

Raise the bar: Coconut and Lemon Bar
The vegan Coconut and Lemon Bar (30g, R9.99 also available in Raw Pecan and Salted Caramel Flavoured as well as Cocoa and Chia) left us pleasantly surprised. Usually, when a snack has dates as a base, the dates can be overpowering. This was not the case and the lemon really came through and the coconut added a nice crunch.

Slam dunk: Gluten-Free Muesli Rusks
Our resident gluten-free eater was really excited to test out the gluten-free Muesli Rusks (250g, R34.99) because we don’t often get gluten-free treats in the office and at R35 a pop, they are budget friendly too.

“The muesli add-ins (like cranberries) are evenly spread and generous. Good dunkability because they don’t fall apart and the size of each rusk is perfect.”

What we really like about Simple Truth snacks
The snacks taste amazing and we liked all of them. And not in a ‘this isn’t bad for healthy food kind of way’. We loved them in an ‘I would choose this over the regular food’ kind of way.
These don’t cost a fortune and makes eating healthy food affordable.
simple-truth-healthy-snacks-checkers.jpg

gluten-free-simple-truth-range-at-checkers.jpg

I’m glad you enjoyed it.
I would be very interested to see what the ingredients are.
It’s so easy to say gluten free and “reduced sugar” , what is in there then?
Especially if it’s so cheap.

I personally don’t trust checkers at all.

I’m glad you enjoyed it.
I would be very interested to see what the ingredients are.
It’s so easy to say gluten free and “reduced sugar” , what is in there then?
Especially if it’s so cheap.

I personally don’t trust checkers at all.

@Bumblebabe It wasn't me who tried them - the article which I posted is from All Women and it was their office who tried the snacks.

Next time I go to Checkers I'll certainly look out for them. The only thing that concerns me, as a diabetic, is the sugar and carb content. And there's a very easy way to check that - take a glucose reading before eating one of those snacks, and again 2 hours after eating.

If it is indeed low sugar then the glucose reading will not be excessively elevated (just the normal elevation after eating anything). If it is excessively elevated, then we know that something isn't quite kosher.

Last edited:
Back