The big debate (Rolo DNA200 vs RX200)

As I have known, and stated elsewhere, the DNA200 just isn't an everyman's device...

Will the RX200 be that? Probably, yes!

The RX200 will outsell the DNA200 by miles, and then some.
It will be a lot more user-friendly, settings on the mod, device - one that will work out of the box with minimal fuss.
Evolv will probably at some point in the near future make another DNA board to accomplish those same goals, but for right now:

The RX200 version will win the market.

Not that I personally think Evolv will be too bothered about it. Even Brandom himself said right from the beginning of announcing the DNA200 that it will be a "tinkerer's board".

Am I unhappy about my DNA200? No.
Do i regret it now that RX200 is coming? No.

I am quite happy about the RX200 being en-route. I am just not 100% sold on the idea that 200W is a good idea in the hands of beginner vapers.
I am by no means saying you should get a permit to have 200W in your hand; I just don't feel it should be "out there" as a mass-market device... safety issues and all...
Also not saying that the same bad things cant happen with a DNA200, but at some level I kinda feel like the difficulty in setup could ALMOST be a deterence to "accidental abuse". The DNA200 also has an unparalelled level of safety precautions, and I can only hope the RX200 follows in those same safety-conscious footsteps.

So I am sold on the fact that the chip in this seems to perform well. Both versions. We all know and love the DNA 200 for various reasons, but for those of us who like a pick up and vape kinda device it seems as though the little brother wins out in terms of ease.

Now I know many people will say the DNA 200 is better because, well it kinda is if you are able to use it.

My one and only question, from someone that walks almost everywhere out of choice. How does this thing feel in your pocket. I have a Snow wolf, and a Sig 150 (non TC) and walk around all the time with them and am used to it. Does this MOD's girth make a huge difference. And also if anyone has one, do the 3 batteries make all that much difference at all really?

I know this has nothing to do with the chip but as I said, a chip is a chip some are good some are better, the proprietary nature of the chip in the non DNA device will speak for itself after a long period of use.

Cheers

/Salt

So I am sold on the fact that the chip in this seems to perform well. Both versions. We all know and love the DNA 200 for various reasons, but for those of us who like a pick up and vape kinda device it seems as though the little brother wins out in terms of ease.

Now I know many people will say the DNA 200 is better because, well it kinda is if you are able to use it.

My one and only question, from someone that walks almost everywhere out of choice. How does this thing feel in your pocket. I have a Snow wolf, and a Sig 150 (non TC) and walk around all the time with them and am used to it. Does this MOD's girth make a huge difference. And also if anyone has one, do the 3 batteries make all that much difference at all really?

I know this has nothing to do with the chip but as I said, a chip is a chip some are good some are better, the proprietary nature of the chip in the non DNA device will speak for itself after a long period of use.

Cheers

/Salt

I will be honest here...
Three batteries = a lot a weight in your pocket.
The width is also somewhat of an issue.

My best comparison would be one of those thin cans of coke (unopened, should be full). That will give you more or less the idea of how it will feel in your pocket.

Its VERY comfy in the hand.
Not so much in the pocket...

My one and only question, from someone that walks almost everywhere out of choice. How does this thing feel in your pocket. I have a Snow wolf, and a Sig 150 (non TC) and walk around all the time with them and am used to it. Does this MOD's girth make a huge difference.

could be a "huge" advantage tho....for the looks rather then for the feeling

Gesendet von meinem SM-T530 mit Tapatalk

It's not really much of a debate, the DNA200 will be the temperamental sportster, that can ...in a roundabout way... do a crapload of stuff, and which people are expecting miracles from, from a price and performance point of view, while the RX200 will be the cheap limited, but handy little utilitarian that'll give better return on investment for the price and you won't be expecting the sun and the moon, especially when you compare it to the chinese equivalents like the Snow wolf, Sigelei's, etc.
I think it will compete with these Sigelei and Snow Wolves pretty well, because to me, these latter brands are all about big bulky mods that serve to produce clouds at low resistance, however, I hate the fact that they can't charge via USB - or the old ones at least. The wear and tear of continuously opening and closing the battery latches to nsert, remove, replace etc will be far greater than a mod that you can stick some batteries in and use, charge, use, charge and so forth. Then, when the time comes, the only reason you open the battery latch is to replace the batteries six months or so down the line. :h: favour any USB chargeable device over a bulky mod that can't even charge it's batteries.

In comes the joyetech cuboids. Albeit a 2 battery mod, I want to see how it will perform against this.

Sent via tapatalk

I will be honest here...
Three batteries = a lot a weight in your pocket.
The width is also somewhat of an issue.

My best comparison would be one of those thin cans of coke (unopened, should be full). That will give you more or less the idea of how it will feel in your pocket.

Its VERY comfy in the hand.
Not so much in the pocket...

So the rolo is not pocket friendly! I've already cracked 2x iPhone screens by mistaking which pocket my mod was in. This was never an issue with the sig 150.

The weight takes a bit getting used to but it's comfortable to carry around.

I find myself taking it out of my pockets whenever I jump in to the car because it's bulky.

I think it will compete with these Sigelei and Snow Wolves pretty well, because to me, these latter brands are all about big bulky mods that serve to produce clouds at low resistance, however, I hate the fact that they can't charge via USB - or the old ones at least. The wear and tear of continuously opening and closing the battery latches to nsert, remove, replace etc will be far greater than a mod that you can stick some batteries in and use, charge, use, charge and so forth. Then, when the time comes, the only reason you open the battery latch is to replace the batteries six months or so down the line. :h: favour any USB chargeable device over a bulky mod that can't even charge it's batteries.

The other 200w mods (dual 18650) have no real comparison to the rolo because of the fact that it's only got 2 batteries.

For a mod to reach 160w plus it needs to have a higher voltage that what 2x 18650 batteries can provide. So the snowwolf, kooper, ipv do what's called pulsing. It Steps up the power to 200w but it's not continuous. If anyone has Vaped at high wattages and then tried out the rolo they will confirm that the Vape is a lot smoother. The rolo has 3 batteries in series so it can reach 11.1 volts which is what makes the real difference towards high power.

I don't particularly trust USB charging of more than 1 battery. It's difficult to ensure that all batteries are being married together and have an equal charge. The dna200 limits USB charging to 1A so that it can spread the power evenly amongst all 3 cells.

The rx200 charges fine on usb as well, takes a long time but the batteries as evenly charged to 4.18v then it cuts out.

I prefer my nitecore however since it charges in about 5 or so hours and is well balanced.

I don't really like the size in the pocket, it is a tad bulky. But it works so long as you don't put anything else in there.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

The rx200 charges fine on usb as well, takes a long time but the batteries as evenly charged to 4.18v then it cuts out.

I prefer my nitecore however since it charges in about 5 or so hours and is well balanced.

I don't really like the size in the pocket, it is a tad bulky. But it works so long as you don't put anything else in there.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Are you letting us know that this baby takes more than 5 hours if you charge it via the USB built-in? :O
Wow. and I thought my two cells charging for 3-4.5 hours was a big deal.

Wismec DNA IS , American made the chip rite? If it is well it's like holding a part of NASA , Apple , Google and all that good stuff in ones hand !

Are you letting us know that this baby takes more than 5 hours if you charge it via the USB built-in? :O

Well if I plug the RX200 in to a wall socket and let it charge over night (around 6 hours) the charge isn't completed. On my nitecore it is.

That said however, I last used the USB charge port for my 2nd cycle on the batteries. It could be better now, but with a spare set of batteries and the nitecore I just don't bother anymore.

I got my RX today. Coming from a mvp3 and subox mini... Wow. I am happy. I don't feel the need for a DNA200

USB charging is slower than a dedicated charger on the rolo. The DNA 200 limits it to 1A

You can see this if you connect it to the escribe monitor. I have even tried with a 4a USB hub for my raspberry pi and it still only charges with 1A

Well if I plug the RX200 in to a wall socket and let it charge over night (around 6 hours) the charge isn't completed. On my nitecore it is.

That said however, I last used the USB charge port for my 2nd cycle on the batteries. It could be better now, but with a spare set of batteries and the nitecore I just don't bother anymore.

Now on the DNA 200 some people are having the opposition happen.

Fully charged batteries on the dedicated charger will show up as 98% on the rolo. Unless you set the battery settings to your battery type it will have this difference. I have always found the rx200 and the dna200 to charge to 100% when its done with a USB charger

I don't know what the RX is like but the DNA200 is so frustrating with it's wattage up and down buttons... there is no in between... it's either as slow as sin or as fast as &*^%$&^$! So annoying! :-@

A guy was going on about escribe on his DNA rolo and how much better it is. I just had to tell him for the RX we have a dedicated guy in China, he does all the R&D and then we just do the update. ;):-D

I don't know what the RX is like but the DNA200 is so frustrating with it's wattage up and down buttons... there is no in between... it's either as slow as sin or as fast as &*^%$&^$! So annoying! :-@

From start it goes at a rate of about 2w per second In point increments ( so I can get from 51.0 to 53.0 in about a second)

After about 6 seconds of continuous pressing it goes at a rate of about 10w per second without the point increments

USB charging is slower than a dedicated charger on the rolo. The DNA 200 limits it to 1A

You can see this if you connect it to the escribe monitor. I have even tried with a 4a USB hub for my raspberry pi and it still only charges with 1A
@shaunnadan - I've been monitoring my charging on escribe and mine seems to hover at 0.5A - is there any way I can change this so that it charges at 1A? It takes forever to fully charge 3x3000mah cells on the reuleaux!
The 98% charged issue was also bothering me - I watched it on escribe and it seems to slow down to 0.1A or less as it's nearing a full charge (the Wh value set after adjusting settings for battery type). I adjusted my battery setting so that they were slightly lower than the advertised 3000mah (lowering the Wh value slightly to the value at which the charge slowed to nothing) and it still slows towards the end, but seems better now.

From start it goes at a rate of about 2w per second In point increments ( so I can get from 51.0 to 53.0 in about a second)

After about 6 seconds of continuous pressing it goes at a rate of about 10w per second without the point increments

Compared to the DNA200 it's a bit easier to find a wattage setting and dial it in.

BUT !!!

On my DNA200 I have a profile setup for each atty so I don't really need to scroll up or down, just a tiny fine tuning once in a while based on the juice I'm vaping

@shaunnadan - I've been monitoring my charging on escribe and mine seems to hover at 0.5A - is there any way I can change this so that it charges at 1A? It takes forever to fully charge 3x3000mah cells on the reuleaux!
The 98% charged issue was also bothering me - I watched it on escribe and it seems to slow down to 0.1A or less as it's nearing a full charge (the Wh value set after adjusting settings for battery type). I adjusted my battery setting so that they were slightly lower than the advertised 3000mah (lowering the Wh value slightly to the value at which the charge slowed to nothing) and it still slows towards the end, but seems better now.

The charging circuitry is a 1a charger on the board. Your pc is only providing it with 0.5a of power.

I've seen somewhere that the true mah on the battery is something like 2960mah which may help to get you a closer setting on the wh value

Ok here are my impressions after about a week with the RX200

• Bear in mind, high power vaping is not really my style, so am more experimenting than using it as a workhorse
  • havent used it all that much
  • It works well enough but I havent tested it at very high power (go figure) or the temp control yet.
  • I find its not very grippy in the hand, quite smooth and im scared to drop it on the floor
  • Because of its weight, you dont easily hold it in the hand while doing other things - like i am now with the istick 50, while typing on the ipad.
  • Its not a pocketable device and even in my vape bag, its quite heavy
  • I far prefer the feel and the fire button of the Sig100+
That said, i need to push into higher power vaping and test out the temp control -

Back