The Serpent Mini 22 and 25 Build Thread

Beautiful setup... top to bottom!
chickendinner-jpg.81286
Thought you might approve @Rob Fisher

The ring to hold the wick tails are off on all my SM25's.

Did you find that this helps with the airlock problem. I got my wicking down so it doesn't leak, but I've always had the airlock issue. I've only used the single coil deck.

Did you find that this helps with the airlock problem. I got my wicking down so it doesn't leak, but I've always had the airlock issue. I've only used the single coil deck.

Yes it did help... the secret to not getting airlocks is to change your wick everyday or every second day...

I rewick once a week and never have airlock issues, in my experience airlock issues are a result of too much cotton in the juice well, i dont use the wicking ring and recommend cotton bacon, good luck

Thanks @Rob Fisher and @Scissorhands. I'll take that ring out and try again. I've thinned my wick tails out quite a bit so I don't think it's too much wicking... let's see :)

Thanks @Rob Fisher and @Scissorhands. I'll take that ring out and try again. I've thinned my wick tails out quite a bit so I don't think it's too much wicking... let's see :)
Just on a side note, when you remove the ring, there is room for slightly more cotton, if you get a drop of gurgle on your first refil, dont give up yet, the cotton will change shape with heat and juice running through it, if it leaks on your second refill, the wick is no good, try marginally more cotton in the juice well untill you find the perfect amount, I know oom rob and many others have success with the bow tie method so i cant discredit it, personally i find the Scottish roll to be most effective, report back with your findings, best luck

Edit: one more thing, when filling, try fill it so it looks full from the glass, this will leave a decent air pocket , crucial for avoiding air locks

Ps. If that blue leprechaun goes missing, dont come looking at my house!

Last edited:
Thanks @Scissorhands. That's amazing advice. I'll give it a bash tonight and let you know how it goes.

Edit: That Leprechaun is unbelievable. The Petri squonks and drains perfectly and the two are just a match made in heaven. My SM25 was destined for my Noisy Cricket ii-25.

There is a technique to filling the SM25 that stops the leaks when filling.
Take the tank off the mod... close the air flow... fill the tank... put the top cap on and turn till the threads grip (a turn or two) then flip the tank upside down and slowly close the top cap. Open the airflow and put it back on the mod... happy days... no leaking.
View attachment 81281
Wow Plus 10 Uncle @Rob Fisher !!!
This seems to have sorted my Filling\leaking issues!!
Thank you!
:campeon::campeon:

To be leak free/airlock free with the SM's don't forget to hop on your left leg only while facing south in your altogether, and have windows open on both the east and west side of you to equalize any possible stray pressure from the earths rotation. :p:D

Everyone has there own way that works or does not for them on the SM's (on any gear for that matter). Finding what works for you for your vaping style is the key. Mine is long, slow lung hits that can tax gear far more than MTL or normal DLH's, so how I set gear up often differs from other folks.

After a false start with leaking when I got my first SM's set up following the videos with KGD I switched to Cotton Bacon V2. That helped but alone did not stop all the leaks. So I devised my own build routine and all of mine have been no fuss, no muss and trouble free ever since. No doubt the KGD was a big flaw at first (although I'd bet I could make it work fine now). Finding my own niche for setting them up was the key that made the biggest difference, and that didn't happen overnight. I do leave the wick tail rings off, but I don't groom the wicking beyond cutting to length (no bowtie, no reduction trimming). I don't take the tank off the mod to refill, don't hold it upside down, don't close the AFC or replace the top cap slowly. I seldom rewick since I dedicate a joose to each of them and don't get dry hits that degrades the wicking. When it's time to dry burn the coil(s) they get rewicked, and even that is on a long schedule as well for most of my DIY's that don't gunk them up very fast. Bottom line is they don't leak anymore, not since I changed how i set them up with CB. Right or wrong in some opinion matters not, it's working for me.

None of my many RTA's in use have ever air locked that I am aware of, and they do not dump.

I run 2.5mm or 3.0mm single coils on the 3 SM22's, 3.5mm dual coils on the 3 SM25's, and all of them built specifically for the DIY joose they will be running. They can't match the flavor I get from my Avo's, but it is very acceptable and they hold the #2 spot presently. That may be changing to #3 though after I've had another month or so with some new to me ones I'm currently trying out.

I have been VERY STRONGLY opposed to rebuilding since I started vaping MANY years ago. Put it this way, when I started vaping, the only vape kits available were the small pen, with replaceable cartridges. We're talking around 2007/08!

I just always said that I don't have the time, and don't want to be bothered. So much easier to just buy and insert coils! ;)

For MOST of my vaping journey, I have been on MTL setup, and only a few months ago, finally saw the light, and switched to DTL and subohm.

I have been in love with some GOOD ceramic coil based tanks, and have several now.

Yesterday, after just chatting with oom @Rob Fisher for like 5 minutes, out comes the wallet, and order and a whole bunch of stuff, including the SM25, wire, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks to oom @Rob Fisher damn meddling :p, I spent my whole Saturday morning, reading this whole thread from start to finish, yes, all 19 pages of it!

My SM25 will be delivered early next week, and I am ready to give this a major shot!

I am pretty sure I now know enough to at least get started!

ONE question though, for which I have not seen any answer .... How often to you replace the actual wire?!

Really looking forward to getting and trying this tank!

I have been VERY STRONGLY opposed to rebuilding since I started vaping MANY years ago. Put it this way, when I started vaping, the only vape kits available were the small pen, with replaceable cartridges. We're talking around 2007/08!

I just always said that I don't have the time, and don't want to be bothered. So much easier to just buy and insert coils! ;)

For MOST of my vaping journey, I have been on MTL setup, and only a few months ago, finally saw the light, and switched to DTL and subohm.

I have been in love with some GOOD ceramic coil based tanks, and have several now.

Yesterday, after just chatting with oom @Rob Fisher for like 5 minutes, out comes the wallet, and order and a whole bunch of stuff, including the SM25, wire, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks to oom @Rob Fisher damn meddling :p, I spent my whole Saturday morning, reading this whole thread from start to finish, yes, all 19 pages of it!

My SM25 will be delivered early next week, and I am ready to give this a major shot!

I am pretty sure I now know enough to at least get started!

ONE question though, for which I have not seen any answer .... How often to you replace the actual wire?!

Really looking forward to getting and trying this tank!

Good one @Richelo Killian! You will wonder why you waited so long... The answer to how often to change the coil... I change coils maybe once a month or if I "feel" it's not performing as it should. I change wicks every second day... I know others change wicks after a week or so but I have gotten to the point when I know exactly when the vape is not 100% and then I change.

Yip, @Richelo Killian - I will second @Rob Fisher
Coils can last quite a long time

When you rewick, you can dry burn the coils to get the "gunk" build up off the coil
Some juices gunk the coils up more than others. I find lighter juices, less sweet juices and non-tobaccoes tend to gunk less. A gunked up coil doesnt perform as well.
Other than gunk build up, i have noticed that older coils also get a bit damaged and have pits in the wire and other damage. Also they dont glow as evenly when pulsing them.

I find that the performance decrease is very difficult to pick up because it't quite gradual. I have in the past left a coil in a tank for way too long, like 2 or 3 months (non exclusive use though)

Then when I make a new coil the vape is much much better and I cannot believe it

I therefore try make a plan to recoil each device at least once a month. That may sound like a long time but I am using about 4-6 devices simultaneously - so its probably like recoiling once a week if it was an exclusive use device.

I also find that the thicker wire (24g and 26g) tends to last longer than the thinner wire (28g)

Am going to post a pic of an old coil in my SM25 so you can see what an old coil looks like.

Last edited:
Here is an old coil of about 3 or 4 months

It's a 24g NI80 coil in the SM25. Probably had only about 100 ml of juice through it at about 30-35 watts. Looks like a disaster zone!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1484392485.101776.jpg

Replaced with a new 26g NI80 coil. Much better ;-)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1484392429.161052.jpg

EDIT - so sorry, i just realised i made a mistake about the above coils, it was not the SM25 but the dual coil in the Crius! Dont know what I was thinking. I did take a photo of the SM25 single coil when i changed it but i may have deleted it. Anyhow the same message applies

Last edited:
Try dry burning your coils under water. The coils will be cleaner and last much longer.
That might be a little miss leading but glad you mentioned it. I pulse my coils red - orange hot then purge them in a cup of water. Repeat and your coil should look almost new and ready to wick. Repeat with every rewick, a coil should last a month + @Richelo Killian

Here is an old coil of about 3 or 4 months

It's a 24g NI80 coil in the SM25. Probably had only about 100 ml of juice through it at about 30-35 watts. Looks like a disaster zone!

View attachment 81641

Replaced with a new 26g NI80 coil. Much better ;-)

View attachment 81639

Great pictures Mr. Silver.

That 100ml of joose must have been as saturated as it could possibly be with as much sugary as it would absorb. ;)

Have to ask, were you doing your preferred MTL or DLH's when it gunked up so heavily? I never MTL, always do long DLH's and have never gunked up a coil like that even with far more mls processed by it. I've pondered before if the mechanics of MTL might be prone to gunking up coils more/faster than DLH's. Your thoughts?

That looks like a weapon,lol. I've never heard of that build and I'm always trolling for new ones,is it a braided build.?
It is called Weaver Wire, you can buy spools of it made by Geekvape. Basically 8 strands of 32g kanthal loosely braided yes, but MUCH looser than braids. Do not build with it unless you want FLAVOUR. It is amazing stuff. Really a pain to get neat be warned. Ugliest builds on the planet are all Weaver builds.

Great pictures Mr. Silver.

That 100ml of joose must have been as saturated as it could possibly be with as much sugary as it would absorb. ;)

Have to ask, were you doing your preferred MTL or DLH's when it gunked up so heavily? I never MTL, always do long DLH's and have never gunked up a coil like that even with far more mls processed by it. I've pondered before if the mechanics of MTL might be prone to gunking up coils more/faster than DLH's. Your thoughts?

No it wasnt MTL @Spydro
That was direct lung hits - about 4 second lung hit pulls - at about 30W on the Serpent mini 25
I did rewick it several times mainly with Cotton Bacon V2 and I did always dry burn it when rewicking

That photo I took was before dry burning. It doesnt look that bad with the naked eye but when you zoom in with the camera it looks hideous!

I dont think MTL generally gunks up coils more than lung hits because I think one generally operates at a lower power commensurate with the lower airflow. I also think the quality of wire used may have a role to play.

My MTL Reos (with RM2s) mostly run Vapowire Kanthal and i havent observed such bad gunking. Then again I tend to change the coils a bit more frequently in them because I am more tuned in to the vape on it. Like Rob Fisher said above, he can tell when something is deteriorating.

No it wasnt MTL @Spydro
That was direct lung hits - about 4 second lung hit pulls - at about 30W on the Serpent mini 25
I did rewick it several times mainly with Cotton Bacon V2 and I did always dry burn it when rewicking

That photo I took was before dry burning. It doesnt look that bad with the naked eye but when you zoom in with the camera it looks hideous!

I dont think MTL generally gunks up coils more than lung hits because I think one generally operates at a lower power commensurate with the lower airflow. I also think the quality of wire used may have a role to play.

My MTL Reos (with RM2s) mostly run Vapowire Kanthal and i havent observed such bad gunking. Then again I tend to change the coils a bit more frequently in them because I am more tuned in to the vape on it. Like Rob Fisher said above, he can tell when something is deteriorating.
Spot on silver. It depends on the quality of wire used. I usually recoil and wick at the end of the week, maybe 2 weeks. That's only because I use one tank exclusively. My obs engine is my all day every day tank. Only use my dripper at night when I'm home. I got myself a baby beast in the week so now I can rotate between it and the obs for all day and on the go. But you will find your sweet spot after some time of use.

Sent from my E2333 using Tapatalk

It is called Weaver Wire, you can buy spools of it made by Geekvape. Basically 8 strands of 32g kanthal loosely braided yes, but MUCH looser than braids. Do not build with it unless you want FLAVOUR. It is amazing stuff. Really a pain to get neat be warned. Ugliest builds on the planet are all Weaver builds.
Good to know cuz I am all about the flavor

Back