Topbox Mini bounced and Paperweighted

Desert

New Vaper
LV

Awards
This morning I took my 3 week old topbox off charge and promptly tossed it across the room.

After the initial paniced google and forum search I managed to respring the negative terminal. Chuffed with myself a sat down to a celebratory vape, and nothing.. Nothing on the screen. Nothing when I fire it. Just nothing.

I got a new battery, hoping that mine had shorted or whatever. But Nothing.

I disassembled the unit again and looked everywhere for a burnt spot on the board. But Nothing.

I looked for any loose wires or faukty solder. But Nothing.

What have I done!? Is it possible that it's an electronic failure and how would I go about diagnosing this?

I've voided any hope of a warranty claim through my respringing victory.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

@Bluejeenz I don't have a DMM. But now have a good excuse to get one tomorrow morning. I'll check and revert tomorrow. Starting to feel a little optimistic already, Thanks.

Sorry @Desert , my electronics skills leave me wanting in this case! Hope you come right!

Why did you trow it?

So I got a DMM and have checked. All wires red white and black are carrying current from the battery.

I'm not 100% certain what I was meant to check tbh.

The only thing thats loks a little funky is the silver strip adjacent to where the black wire meets the board. See the last pic. Does that look puffy to anyone?
19a69cf2b907dd2fb80fee1051207118.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1468666193963.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1468666193963.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 23
  • uploadfromtaptalk1468666222700.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1468666222700.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 23
  • uploadfromtaptalk1468666230614.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1468666230614.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 21
The only thing thats loks a little funky is the silver strip adjacent to where the black wire meets the board.
That section looks like a ground plane that has been built up with solder for more current carrying, no probs there.
The black lead most likely connects to it.
I thought power might be broken to the pcb, hence wanting to check voltage between the red and black.
Electronic components(caps ic's etc) are usually quite robust to drops, but displays arent, have you plugged in usb cable to see if the charge icon appears?

I plugged it in now again and nothing. So do all functions depend on the display working? I've tried holding in the fire button jic there is a hard reset function. But Nothing

I should mention that I'm not 100% certain about my earlier current statement. My DMM doesnt have a Continuity function. So I set it to the 2000ohms setting, put the - to the - terminal and touched every solder point I could find and always got a reading (not always the same, but alwats some reaction).

Clipboard01.jpg
I should mention that I'm not 100% certain about my earlier current statement. My DMM doesnt have a Continuity function. So I set it to the 2000ohms setting, put the - to the - terminal and touched every solder point I could find and always got a reading (not always the same, but alwats some reaction).

2k ohms is a bit high, for continuity use the 200 scale.
What seems to be a broken wire tab at the end?

Good eyes!! It was just a bit of high density foam that came off the casing. I've wiped it off.

7438225b0f4555d0d765f0a2557d8a87.jpg

On this setting I manage to get this reading throughout the ends of all the wires. Also on most of the solder points on the board.

7438225b0f4555d0d765f0a2557d8a87.jpg

On this setting I manage to get this reading throughout the ends of all the wires. Also on most of the solder points on the board.

Lol, thats AC volts, no help.
you need to be on the 20V DC setting.
Should read 4.1v on the batt as well as the pcb red and black.
Clipboard01.jpg

LOL okay. So on the 20v DC setting I get 4.06v throughout.

Back