What Can We Do To Keep On Vaping In Rsa?

I guess we'll need to start collecting statistics
The vape market in SA is thriving...
And vape product can easily be manufactured so small companies can easily join the market... meaning there is a lot of potential for job creation

I guess we start by deciding what questions to address
Health statistics
Market growth

All need to be brought to attention

And as you sayd we can use The UK as an example

I often (deliberately) Vape in public. I get odd looks from many people. What does that tell me? Vaping is still unknown to the masses.

I agree, it's the "Starfish in the sea syndrome" one on one, we can all make a difference to add to the bigger picture by spreading the news that there is an alternative to smoking tobacco which is 95% safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the UK govt will be buying vape gear to dispense via the NHS, if their smoking cessation plan comes to fruition. That's an awful lot of starter kits that some importer is going to be selling.

When I look at the Eleaf iCare kit, I see the future of vaping. There is a tiny, cheap device that doesn't use much power but produces a satisfying vape. If Eleaf take that two generations forward, we are starting to get into the size/price range that becomes marketable in Africa, at least to the lower middle class and above.

We can't manufacture cheaper than China. But China doesn't produce juice, only gear. If vaping is to be sold to Africans, what type of juice will they want? Does anybody even know? If we can develop a juice that appeals uniquely to the African palate, something that is African in its profile and origin, then that juice could be done locally with SA concentrates even and married with Chinese hardware to produce an African vaping solution.

I don't know, I may be talking rubbish as this isn't my area. But I see a potentially massive market that nobody has even started to address yet. China hasn't catered to that market yet because they haven't had to, there is enough growth in high-end vaping to fill their coffers. But that market will slow eventually and then they must cast their net wider. The reason big tobacco got big is because they priced their product for the masses. Vaping needs to pursue the same model imo.

Well we should take a look at what stinkies sell best... (although do consider the cheapest might be popular for that fact)

And I'm a programmer by trade so this really isn't my area, just really like vaping... lol I had to lookup dti

The best might be to look at cultural flavours ...favourite foods ect...

Have you talked to this guy about all this yet...

No, but he listened in on a conversation I had. A few weeks ago, I wrote a vaping article for a consumer website. The regulator guy was listening while the webmaster of that site asked me to write the article. We were in a meeting about another project we're doing together. It started with me talking about vaping. The webmaster asked me to write an article about it for his readers. I asked the regulator guy what the time scale was for regulations and he just looked blankly at me and said "Huh, what are you talking about?" He'd sorta kinda heard of electronic cigarettes but didn't have any views on them and didn't even know it was being done in SA. He thought it was more of an overseas thing.

Is the dti even aware of the vaping market and its potential? If not, how can we expect them to get excited about it and start exploring it? They are not going to watch A Billion Lives, only vapers will watch that. Which is why I keep saying, it's pointless preaching to the converted. We need to preach to the unconverted. But that goes beyond telling people that vaping is healthy. The industry needs to approach the powers-that-be with an industry vision, a plan and proposal for how to take this technological miracle and turn it to the advantage of the economy and people of SA and, by extension, Africa. Then govt will listen. You can bank on it.

We must all do the "Each one reach one" principle. Identify a tobacco smoker in your circle of friends or a work colleague. Vape in front of them, make it look interesting, prick their curiosity, answer their questions politely, show them the different options. Try to "convert" them by gently persuading them to just try vaping. Be their "mentor" -- be creative in your approach.

It's a good starting point on a micro level.

We must all do the "Each one reach one" principle. Identify a tobacco smoker in your circle of friends or a work colleague. Vape in front of them, make it look interesting, prick their curiosity, answer their questions politely, show them the different options. Try to "convert" them by gently persuading them to just try vaping. Be their "mentor" -- be creative in your approach.

It's a good starting point on a micro level.

That's a start... we should be doing that anyway...
But a fiew hundred of us aren't going to bring big change quickly

One of the big cigarette companies are about to launch and bring in their brand of e cigs into the country.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Only caught up with this thread now. Been offline most of today
Great discussions here

@RichJB not sure if you were at VapeCon? Or managed to see EASA there? They had a stand there. They have been engaging with various government entities for some time to be proactive about potential regulation.

Am trying to convince them to get registered on here and communicate on a regular basis with the vapers as to what they are doing.

Saw them again at The Billion Lives premiere and brought it up again.

Last edited:
No, unfortunately I was in and out of VapeCon fairly quickly as I had work matters to attend to on that day. It's a pity as, if I'd had more time, that stand would probably have been the one that interested me most. I work sort of tangentially with standardisation and regulation so I can see both sides of the story on this. I'd love it if the vaping industry and dti could meet each other halfway and work together to leverage the potential that vaping brings - not just from a health point of view but innovation, job creation, etc. It's a very exciting development, it would be a pity if it became a missed opportunity.

Interesting comparison but you don't even need water. Just take a puff of a cigarette and exhale it through a white handkerchief. And that's what is still in the smoke AFTER it's been through your lungs. Now do the same with vapour. You can exhale an entire tank full of vapour through the handkerchief, it will still be spotlessly white. That is the single best and simplest demonstration to a smoker (or non-smoker/non-vaper who claims "they're exactly the same") that I know of.

Can I add one point I don't know if it is off topic , but I have not read a lot or at all in this thread but while it's fresh, I think society such as the mother who is looking at her young son , daughter vaping, she may feel it's rather wrong and denies her child of the vape, but they go on behind her back . This is cool in many cases even if the woman or father catches on they are again vaping, but it's that one percent that has muscle and they flex against the vape community, we stand strong yes but what if we are in the wrong. And this is the greatest problem going against the grain against the good will for others . This site is built on family values,trust and good will. Keep that in mind and serve in a honest manner to others and we will always grow , vape is no underground thing . As the good word says the lord said let there be light and it was. Same with us here we are , I rate just be thankful and that will carry and community.

I do agree and have been thinking about it

I beleve vaping is a great thing... But it should be restricted to some degree... Kids shoulnt be smoking or vaping

Problem is I finished school 2 years ago and I can tell you for every 10 highschoolers at least 1 smokes regularly
(probably more)

Back