A Billion Lives

Hi guys

The people from EASA sent me this video clip from Aaron Biebert, the director of A Billion Lives

They showed Aaron our ECIGSSA forum and the positive comments on here - so he wanted to send us a little video. He is in SA for his first time.

That's so cool - so thanks guys for your comments!

Here it is - just click on the link:

http://novusonlinenews.co.za/backen...editorialstream/BroadcastMedia/VEDIO_CLIP.mp4

Thanks Aaron, that is great!!
So cool. I can't wait to watch this doccie!

If we dont watch it tonight where else will we be able to view this film?

Hi guys

Just returned home after watching A Billion Lives and having good chats with the director and the folk from EASA.

The film was excellent. A must watch for all of us. It was very well put together and the picture that was painted is quite an eye opener. Its fast paced and for those interested in the topic its quite riveting actually. I think the film does a superb job of explaining a lot of the intricate relationships and agendas of the various stakeholders and it shows how complex this whole thing is.

The great thing about this film is that two of the prominent figures in it are South African!

Aaron Biebert, the director is a great guy. Wow, what a humble down to earth person. Met him, his wife and his kids.

The good news about this film is that after it was premiered in New Zealand, their regulators are now considering an about turn on vaping - for the better. Lets hope that it has a similar effect in more countries, especially here.

I dont want to give away whats in the film and spoil it for those that want to go see it - but one thing's for sure, when you watch it you realise that this whole thing is much bigger and more compex than what it appears on the outside.

There is certainly a big fight that needs to happen and I think this film ignites it brilliantly pulling many things together and makes a strong impact.

I took a great photo on my compact camera and will download it and upload tomorrow.

Just got home, I must admit I am a tad disappointed, although thought provoking A billion lives left me feeling quite depressed, I also dont think there was enough of a "vaper presence" in terms if people saying how vaping has changed their own lives. The message is good but is it powerful enough to go viral? I am unsure...

Maybe I just expected to much considering how long I have been following the trail, I get what the overall message was intended to be and that message came through, I just dont feel it came through strong enough. This is just my opinion though and maybe I am wrong and others will point me in the right direction, maybe I missed something.

It was very well filmed and produced, it is just the ending that upset me and left me feeling bleak, maybe because most of the facts we as vapers already know, which in a sense the film is not aimed at vapers, its aimed at everyone else, getting it to them though and getting them to listen to the message might be harder than we think.

Like I said, just my opinion, please dont let this sway you from watching it, at the end of the day the cause and the message behind it is still good.

but one thing's for sure, when you watch it you realise that this whole thing is much bigger and more compex than what it appears on the outside.
This however I agree with.

It was well don I think it just needed more positive messages from vapers themselves

After the film and chatting to Aaron I asked him if he could write us a message. So he whipped out his phone and wrote it there and then and sent it to me so I could post here.

Here is what he wrote

To all my new friends in South Africa, it was a pleasure to meet so many of you at out Joburg premiere tonight. It looks like storm clouds are coming from your government. A fight is coming, and I will keep fighting for you. All people deserve the truth. All people deserve respect.

We are working to bring the movie to theaters in SA on October 26th. We are up for the audience award and they are taking votes from the general public. If you'd like to vote, copy & paste this into Twitter:

@JoziFilmFest @ABillionLives #Winner #JFF

Let's keep fighting.

Aaron

Aaron is a great guy and even though you havent seen the film, please vote for it on Twitter. If this film wins the audience award it will get more publicity which I think can only benefit vaping. Worthy voting for in my book. The votes will apparently be tallied some time tomorrow (Saturday) so go for it now.

Last edited:
Awesome stuff @Silver Im glad people are taking the initiative to dig deep and reveal the truths that are out there.

Will defiantly make a plan to watch this documentary.

I hear what you saying @Stroodlepuff
I saw the film differently though and although there could have been more about how vaping had changed the lives of vapers, I think the message that came through was very strong and bold.

I.e. That a billion lives can be saved if people are given a chance to use an alternative to smoking such as vaping...

I hear what you saying @Stroodlepuff
I saw the film differently though and although there could have been more about how vaping had changed the lives of vapers, I think the message that came through was very strong and bold.

I.e. That a billion lives can be saved if people are given a chance to use an alternative to smoking such as vaping...

I got that too, but I guess it is just not what I expected :)

Here is a photo I got from last night with the director of A Billion Lives (green jacket) and the EASA chairman

IMG_1115 - cropped and resized.jpg

Its quite funny I asked them at the entrance if you were allowed to vape - and they looked at me quite blankly - so I said I assume you were, given the subject of the movie. Lol. Was quite strange I was one of the very few vaping in there. That was the trusty SubTank Mini and istick 50 ;-)

This was a photo I took inside the cinema. After the film, they called Dr Delon Human (one of the main figures in the film) and the director Aaron Biebert to the front for a Q&A session. Quite appropriate to have the "No smoking" signs in this photo! They were from the cinema, not added in for this film ;-)

IMG_1112 - resized.jpg

Edit - forgot to mention, check the credits on the screen, toward the bottom those were the bodies and people that declined to be interviewed for the film...

Oh and one last thing - the famous Dr Farsalinos was interviewed a few times in the film and he was GREAT!

Big ups to Dr Farsalinos and the fight he is fighting on vaping's behalf with all his medical research

PS -

Reminder

If you haven't voted for this film yet to win the audience vote for the best film at Jozi Film Festival, please do so pronto. I think the votes will be tallied up at some point today. If this film wins the audience award, it will get more publicity and I think it will be a good thing for vaping.

Just tweet the following on Twitter:
@JoziFilmFest @ABillionLives #Winner #JFF

I encourage as many people especially Vaporers to go and see this
It is a real eye opener

We saw the movie yesterday afternoon and I was very impressed with the message overall.
I agree that some more testimonies from ex-smokers on how vaping helped them would have been good.

Sadly the theatre was not even half full and I believe this will be the trend. It is a very long documentary and I think "Joe Average" will not spend money to go and see this movie. I think it will have a greater impact if they take this movie and break it into a couple of 10/15min high impact clips.

But very good information and good to know that we need to prepare for a big fight. I understand why @Stroodlepuff felt disheartened. It is going to be an uphill battle.

Back