Any opinion on using Aramid (kevlar) for wicking

blujeenz

Loafing since 2013
LV

Awards
I've acquired some Aramid fiber aka kevlar which is used for strength in optic fibre patch cords, not exactly food grade but still.
When it unravels its such a bugger that usually its best to throw away, hence me plaiting and taping it.
Theres no jelly or silicone coating on the fibers, I was thinking a steam or boil to clean before using for a wick.
kevlar thread.JPG

IMG_3185.JPG

Heres some info I found from a fire twirling site, Home of POI
100% KEVLAR ® or 100% Aramid
100% KEVLAR ® or 100% Aramid would definitely be the most expensive form to make a wick out of. Most shops put "KEVLAR Wick" and omit everything else in the weave.

FOR

• Sounds good ie "I am using professional 100% KEVLAR ® wicks"
  • In the correct weave they are very absorbent.
  • Soaks in fuel well.
  • Excellent capillary flow of fuel to the flame.
  • Reasonable abrasion resistance, although much less than wire inserted or fiberglass.
  • Excellent heat insulator
  • Great for towing cars???
  • Looks like really good superior and solid wick at the start
  • Kevlar degenerates at 650 degrees Fahrenheit (343 degrees Celcius).
AGAINST
  • Weave will fall apart and wear quicker than Wicks woven with metal strands or fiberglass.
  • KEVLAR ® begins to disappear at 427degree Celsius (800 degree Fahrenheit). turns into a gas.
  • KEVLAR ® and Aramids degrade slowly when under daylight (UV).
Tips and notes
  • Nomex degenerates at 450 degrees Fahrenheit (232 degrees Celcius)
  • Fire may get to about 800 degrees Fahrenheit (426 degrees Celcius) however under the flame it will be much cooler.
  • Some weaves have metal thread in it to provide rigidity to the weave. Not recommended for eating with because of the very hot metal fibres.
  • PVA, Elmers or white school glue can be used on the edges of all these wicks to provide enhanced abrasive resistance. The heat will harden and cure the glue.
  • Wrap KEVLAR ® blend wicking over cotton wick. Fuel from Cotton will feed into the Kevlar ® blend where it will be burnt.
  • There are many manufacturers of these products around the world. Differing weaves and mixtures of the materials making up the weave can affect soakability, wear and tear, abrasive and burning characteristics. So these factors should also be considered. Just because one is cheaper does not mean it will be cheaper in the long term. Also one blend may be weaved to produce different characteristics of another wick of the same blend. What you use will most probably come down to where you are, how long you need it to last, what you want to spend and what is readily available.
See also What is KEVLAR ®?, How to make your wick last longer?, Fire head construction, All about metal parts used in fire twirling equipment

References KEVLAR® technical guide, Silica Glass Fibres, KEVLAR® Para-Aramids - NOMEX®

Use of the KEVLAR ® brand in any printed brochures, catalogues, packaging, exhibition mediums, websites, Internet pages, or any other materials is not permitted without a license from DuPont.

"What to use as wick?" was first uploaded by HOP and has been viewed 68254 times.

Whats your thoughts on the matter?
Maybe only in a temp control mod?

I think you should look up how it's made and what it's treated with. I would be a bit sceptical to vape that.

@zadiac the process is somewhat similar to rayon manufacture, except that with rayon, natural cellulose fibers are dissolved and then extruded in a spinneret, whereas with aramid the raw material is first chemically created in a laboratory.
from wiki
Kevlar is synthesized in solution from the monomers 1,4-phenylene-diamine (para-phenylenediamine) and terephthaloyl chloride in a condensation reaction yielding hydrochloric acid as a byproduct. The result has liquid-crystalline behavior, and mechanical drawing orients the polymer chains in the fiber's direction. Hexamethylphosphoramide (HMPA) was the solvent initially used for the polymerization, but for safety reasons, DuPont replaced it by a solution of N-methyl-pyrrolidone and calcium chloride. As this process had been patented by Akzo (see above) in the production of Twaron, a patent war ensued.[9

and the rayon process for comparison, same source.

Production method
Regular rayon (or viscose) is the most widely produced form of rayon. This method of rayon production has been utilized since the early 1900s and it has the ability to produce either filament or staple fibers. The process is as follows:

1. Cellulose: Production begins with processed cellulose(obtained from wood pulp and plant fibers).
  2. Immersion: The cellulose is dissolved in caustic soda: (C6H10O5)n + nNaOH → (C6H9O4ONa)n + nH2O
  3. Pressing: The solution is then pressed between rollers to remove excess liquid
  4. White Crumb: The pressed sheets are crumbled or shredded to produce what is known as "white crumb"
  5. Aging: The "white crumb" is aged through exposure to oxygen
  6. Xanthation: The aged "white crumb" is mixed with carbon disulfide in a process known as Xanthation, the aged alkali cellulose crumbs are placed in vats and are allowed to react with carbon disulfide under controlled temperature (20 to 30 °C) to form cellulose xanthate: (C6H9O4ONa)n + nCS2 → (C6H9O4O-SC-SNa)n
  7. Yellow Crumb: Xanthation changes the chemical makeup of the cellulose mixture and the resulting product is now called "yellow crumb"
  8. Viscose: The "yellow crumb" is dissolved in a caustic solution to form viscose
  9. Ripening: The viscose is set to stand for a period of time, allowing it to ripen: (C6H9O4O-SC-SNa)n + nH2O → (C6H10O5)n + nCS2 + nNaOH
  10. Filtering: After ripening, the viscose is filtered to remove any undissolved particles
  11. Degassing: Any bubbles of air are pressed from the viscose in a degassing process
  12. Extruding: The viscose solution is extruded through a spinneret, which resembles a shower head with many small holes
  13. Acid Bath: As the viscose exits the spinneret, it lands in a bath of sulfuric acid, resulting in the formation of rayon filaments: (C6H9O4O-SC-SNa)n + ½nH2SO4 → (C6H10O5)n + nCS2 + ½nNa2SO4
  14. Drawing: The rayon filaments are stretched, known as drawing, to straighten out the fibers
  15. Washing: The fibers are then washed to remove any residual chemicals
  16. Cutting: If filament fibers are desired the process ends here. The filaments are cut down when producing staple fibers[1]
High wet modulus rayon (HWM) is a modified version of viscose that has a greater strength when wet. It also has the ability to be mercerized like cotton. HWM rayons are also known as "polynosic"[clarification needed] or can be identified by the trade name Modal.[9]

High-tenacity rayon is another modified version of viscose that has almost twice the strength of HWM. This type of rayon is typically used for industrial purposes such as tire cord.[9]

Cuprammonium rayon has properties similar to viscose but during production, the cellulose is combined with copper and ammonia (Schweizer's reagent). Due to the environmental effects of this production method, cuprammonium rayon is no longer produced in the United States.[9]

Yeah, I'm still a bit sceptical. I'll stick with stuff like cotton bacon or vapers choice cotton or native wicks, etc.

Susceptible to acids and alkalines... Juice might break it out down.

But how does it Vape ?

I've got some multi mode fiber , will chop it up, throw the cladding into the ultrasonic and see how it performs :)

mmmmm .... another use for my bullet proof vest :rolleyes:

Interesting option, should be fine for vaping, but I can guarantee frustration. Having worked with Kevlar and related fiber quite often in ropes for tree climbing, all I can say it is a b!tch to cut & trim without proper tools, as normal steel dulls very quick when used on this. Good nail clippers should be fine for a bit, but I think something like braid scissors would work better for trimming wicks.

I tried a trial on my Patriot RDA and the hassle trying just to cut it was more than a pain in the ass. I eventually cut it to size with sharp pruning shears which only worked while squeezing the blades together.
The fibers are quite stiff (designed that way naturally) and couldnt lay in the juice well with a horizontal coil. Once juiced they didnt wick more juice very well and an unpleasant aramid flavour started to predominate. I dry burned the coil till it was glowing white hot for interest sake, which accounts for the burnt fibers under the coil.
All in all not something Id recommend for wicking, even if the aramid was hybridized with cotton, very frustrating and a waste of time, it will however make an excellent case for a box mod when laid up with epoxy resin. :)
aramid wick.JPG

Thanks for trying it out and reporting back @blujeenz
All in the name of Science

Back