Battery safety - even in regulated mods...

Doesn't make sense @Raindance :eek: - technology is driven by humans that don't believe in Darwin's crap unscientific theories, but by what makes any species survive: adapt or die :D.
Wohoooo! Them are fighting words @johan. LOL! Love a good exchange of ideas. I am a Darwinist in principle and am more that open to convert you to the enlightened side. Only joking. To each his own. Actually a slogan on my family crest or is it the crest of my town of birth, not sure which one.

The Darwin theory actually claims that survival belongs to those most capable of adapting to change. Anyhow, because according to the Pareto principle most choose to follow without question, only a minority opt to confirm common "truths", the ability to survive actually favors the minority. As we become reliant on technology as presented under profit motivated perspectives, Darwin's totally scientific ( ;)) principles are being applied even under vastly different circumstances than they were initially identified under.

Converted yet?

Edit: But please lets not derail this thread, it is a rather important topic so lets stick to the original subject rather?

Last edited:
Motion seconded @Silver

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

Thread has been renamed and has been moved to the "Batteries" subforum
Great thread you started @Spongebob
And great replies here
A good and important read for all

Wohoooo! Them are fighting words @johan. LOL! Love a good exchange of ideas. I am a Darwinist in principle and am more that open to convert you to the enlightened side. Only joking. To each his own. Actually a slogan on my family crest or is it the crest of my town of birth, not sure which one.

The Darwin theory actually claims that survival belongs to those most capable of adapting to change. Anyhow, because according to the Pareto principle most choose to follow without question, only a minority opt to confirm common "truths", the ability to survive actually favors the minority. As we become reliant on technology as presented under profit motivated perspectives, Darwin's totally scientific ( ;)) principles are being applied even under vastly different circumstances than they were initially identified under.

Converted yet?

No! I'm a creationist by free choice and will not be lured into any unscientific enlightenment - I prefer to be part of the 20% of the 80/20 rule ;), and that has f-all to do with Darwin. Science are proven facts, not theories (ie: evolution), however I'm sidetracking the OP's concern/s. PS: science and philosophy don't mix well.

Last edited:
Anyways, reviving an old thread, but one that is very important to me. Especially now with those pesky pink batteries. Remember your regulated mod does not know what the CDR of the batteries are that you put in it. It is your responsibility to make sure they are up to the task.

I cant remember if I saw this link posted, I saw other Mooch posts in here, but in this one he actually explains how to choose the best fit battery for a regulated mod.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...attery-current-draw-for-a-regulated-mod.7532/

Something that I often forget to take into account is efficiency.

Keep safe ...

Tried something different.

I put the blue Petri on the little white Pico

baaf51a391f865c1adfe3d2b1bb2c91c.jpg

@Stosta - check out the colour co-ordination. Lol. Blue topper. Gold rim under the RDA. Silver steel parts and white Pico.

However , although it's a cute little 'pocket rocket' it just doesn't feel right. Feels a tad small for the voluminous vape.

And maybe I'm imagining it but at 35 watts it just doesn't kick like the dual battery Cuboid or Minikin V1.5 which are the usual drivers.

Trouble with this blue Petri is to my eye it doesn't really go well (colour wise) with any of my mods. It really needs something different but I don't have it.

Nevertheless I adore the flavour and simplicity of this RDA. It's lovely.
True power on a single 18650 mod is definitely diferent to a dual. Like I found a 75 watt dual battery can be used on 75 watt but a single battery mod u can't really go higher than halfway then the internals safety kicks in and automatically lowers wattage suitable to batteries allowances , mostly while still showing selected wattage.. my reason for nt liking single battery regulated mods

sent from JsPLAYn'Z Headquarters

True power on a single 18650 mod is definitely diferent to a dual. Like I found a 75 watt dual battery can be used on 75 watt but a single battery mod u can't really go higher than halfway then the internals safety kicks in and automatically lowers wattage suitable to batteries allowances , mostly while still showing selected wattage.. my reason for nt liking single battery regulated mods

Thanks @JsPLAYn
I hear you

probably a discussion for another thread but i dont think the mod knows the limitations of the battery you put in. I think it has its own current limitations but will pull as much as it can to give you the power you dial in, provided its below the mods current limit. Thats how I understand it. So if the battery is not up to scratch there can still be a problem.

Anyhow, you are right, i have found my single battery mods (VTC mini and this Pico, which are my main single battery drivers) do take a bit of strain even at 40 watts or so. Doesnt feel the same as the cuboid or minikin v1.5 dual battery mods.

I suppose it could also be that my Pico is not the most powerful single battery mod. Lol. For me its much better suited to lower power single coil applications.

Thanks @JsPLAYn
I hear you

probably a discussion for another thread but i dont think the mod knows the limitations of the battery you put in. I think it has its own current limitations but will pull as much as it can to give you the power you dial in, provided its below the mods current limit. Thats how I understand it. So if the battery is not up to scratch there can still be a problem.

Anyhow, you are right, i have found my single battery mods (VTC mini and this Pico, which are my main single battery drivers) do take a bit of strain even at 40 watts or so. Doesnt feel the same as the cuboid or minikin v1.5 dual battery mods.

I suppose it could also be that my Pico is not the most powerful single battery mod. Lol. For me its much better suited to lower power single coil applications.
I tried a evic vtc mini with a twisted messes 22 . Vaped it at 75 watt with a fully charged battery. Literally 2mins later..whilst still on just under full it says low battery . On a dna 75 it does the same but instead of showing low battery it simply reduces wattage when u fire it so it starts at 75 and quickly drops to what battery can handle.. these mods are cleverer than u think @Silver .. lol.. evic chipset isn't as advanced as a dna hence just showing low battery and firing lower whereas the dna shows u onscreen what really happens

Hi @JsPLAYn

I hear what you are saying but i still maintain that the mod doesnt know what the limitations of the battery are that you put in.

Have moved the above three posts to this thread. Have a look at this thread and read the first page. It goes into this in quite a bit of detail and is very useful - if you havent read it already.

I do think this brings up an important point about battery safety that many vapers especially newer vapers may not appreciate enough. Even if you use a regulated mod, it doesnt meam you are totally safe. You have to still use the correct batteries for the application at hand.

Hi @JsPLAYn

I hear what you are saying but i still maintain that the mod doesnt know what the limitations of the battery are that you put in.

Have moved the above three posts to this thread. Have a look at this thread and read the first page. It goes into this in quite a bit of detail and is very useful - if you havent read it already.

I do think this brings up an important point about battery safety that many vapers especially newer vapers may not appreciate enough. Even if you use a regulated mod, it doesnt meam you are totally safe. You have to still use the correct batteries for the application at hand.
Thanks.. il give it a good read. Always willing to learn more lol.. this hobby changes daily which adds to the enjoyment

Thanks.. il give it a good read. Always willing to learn more lol.. this hobby changes daily which adds to the enjoyment

Dont get me wrong, I do agree that the new mods have very intelligent boards and electronics - but I still think one needs to understand some of the basics.

If you put a 10 amp CDR battery into a mod and ask it to give you a power such that its pulling 15 amps (and the mod say is restricted to 20 amps) I think it will try pull 15 amps from that battery and there may be problems. Maybe it will cut out if there is some heating but its better in my opinion to know what battery you are using and what current you demand from it.

Dont get me wrong, I do agree that the new mods have very intelligent boards and electronics - but I still think one needs to understand some of the basics.

If you put a 10 amp CDR battery into a mod and ask it to give you a power such that its pulling 15 amps (and the mod say is restricted to 20 amps) I think it will try pull 15 amps from that battery and there may be problems. Maybe it will cut out if there is some heating but its better in my opinion to know what battery you are using and what current you demand from it.
Fully understand @Silver .. to be honest I'm not well versed in battery safety.. although I do take note and knw what works and what doesn't. . But no harm in learning it just to knw and share some day ..

This!! So much this!! Seeing people draw 30A+ on a Chinese mod with LG chocs and then saying "oh it's a regulated mod it doesn't matter". like you said, It may have a temp cut off but that won't save you from a dud battery or at the very least destroying the longevity of your battery

I have seen a number of posts in various threads indicating that there may be a general expectation that a mod can achieve its maximum published output at any resistance within its published resistance range.

This is however not the case.

Have a look at the below graphs published for the DNA 250 board, clearly indicating that the published 250W output is actually only available between 0.075 and 0.35 ohm. Higher resistances see an exponential drop in max power output.

The board will also limit input current to 28 amps with a max input voltage limited to 12.6 volts or less depending on cell/battery configuration. Hence the dual cell Therion 166 only achieving 167W on the DNA 250 board.

Max output current and voltage for this board is 60A and 9.3V respectively.
IMG_0560[1].JPG
So at least on a DNA board the max current draw is published and ensuring one purchases cells that have an equal or preferably higher rating will keep you safe.

Hope this assists. Regards

Doesn't matter what intelligence are build into a mod, it still comes without brains - educate yourself on Ohms law and reading a battery's data sheet (in short use your own brains).