Batts - How low to go, and when to throw?

I like your 24 hour discharge approach @Blu_Marlin

I have one of those "doo hickeys" i got from ohm @johan and its still going strong. I think its pretty accurate. Fully charged batts in my vape setup usually sit for a few days before being used. What I noticed is that the Samsung "blue smurfs" discharged slightly more than the older Efests. After being fully charged to around 4.21V or 4.20V and sitting for a few days, the Samsungs would be like 4.17V whereas the Efests would stay at 4.20V (using the same doohickey) Always found that strange because the Samsungs were fairly new and the Efests about a year old with (I estimate) about 100 cycles in the Reos each.

I assume a drop to 4.17V is nothing to be concerned about? They still seem to perform very well.

I must check some of my brown LG ones....
Ive also built two of those "doo hickeys". Mine are not that accurate but for a quick voltage checker it works perfectly. At 4.17V there’s nothing to worry about. The non existent self discharge on the EFEST is curious though.

Volt_Meter.jpg

Hi Guys here is a silly question, I dropped my vape this morning... the battery cover came off but battery did not come out. Battery looks fine, should I be worried or am I just being paranoid?
Also where do we safely dispose of our batteries (18650)? I'm still fine now but don't want to throw them into a recycling battery bin if its not the right thing to do.
Off hand there’s really no telling if the battery is fine or not. You will have to understand the construction and operation of an 18650 cell to be 100% certain. Manufactures usually do drop/vibration tests to determine the survival of a cell. As @Andre said if the battery is badly damaged it will probably not work. One of the signs will be electrolyte leaking from the battery. The battery will also heat up more than usual when in normal use. This is also a good indicator of a problem with the cell. Dropping the battery and depending on the force of the impact, the internal resistance and voltage could be affected. If it was still in the mod I would say that it is probably ok to use but only you can determine that. I’ve dropped batteries before and alway monitored then diligently during the next few charge/discharge cycles to make sure that there’s is no problems with the battery.

We have a LiON recycling bin at out Woolies. Granted it was probably intended for cell phone batteries and the like but the chemistry is still the same/identical as our 18650 cells. I usually tape up the ends with insulation tape before I dispose of them but looks like I am going to follow @Andre s advice and cling wrap them beforehand. That would be much safer.

A few months ago I dropped a VTC mini with Samsung 30q in a puddle. The battery came out of the mod and was fully submerged for a couple of seconds. The mod was glitchy, but the battery seemed to be working as normal. Needless to say, I discarded the battery having read many times that there should be no exposure to moisture. But one would never have known by looking at the battery or using it - for reasons like this, I always buy batteries brand new. You just never know with second hand batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @Andre and @Blu_Marlin i will rather purchase a new battery to be safe. They not that expensive.
I don`t mean to a fear-monger. If you feel it`s better to purchase a new battery then by all means go for it. As I`ve said, I`ve dropped batterries before and still used them with no problems.

I take battery safety very seriously because I fly a lot, well used to anyway. So I did as much reading up on the 18650 batteries and safety as I could get my hands on. Explosive venting in your back yard, while dangerous, is not the same as an explosive vent while flying. At 35000 feet AGL there is nowhere to go if batteries start venting. Laptops and cell phones batteries use the same chemistry but they have built in protection features etc. Vapers on the other hand use “naked 18650” batteries for applications that they were not specifically designed for. I’ve heard the reports recently of certain carriers overseas not allowing in flight use for passengers with the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 due to the problems with the battery. I would like to think that fellow vapers are also cautious when flying with vape gear as it not only affects their lives but the lives of the people around them as well

I usually pack discharged batteries in silicone covers and place them in a flame retardant LiPO charging bag when flying. I do this to make sure that I and my fellow passengers arrive at our destinations safely and/or without incident.

Some useful information here. Thanks. If a battery cover has a small tear in it, what is the best way to cover it? Can I use a piece of insulation tape over the torn piece? Or what else?

Some useful information here. Thanks. If a battery cover has a small tear in it, what is the best way to cover it? Can I use a piece of insulation tape over the torn piece? Or what else?

Insulation tape would be fine or do a rewrap.

A litle late, but better late than never:D @Waine As a long term solution I would re-wrap. There are vendors, not alot, that carry 18650 wraps these days. Back when it was scarce I ordered a few packs from Fasttech, enough to last me a lifetime and really cheap.
http://www.vapeking.co.za/18650-battery-wrap-various-colours-4-pack.html
http://www.vapeking.co.za/superhero-battery-wraps.html
Might be worth your while to check with the Sirs if they have or are getting any in.

I recently had an Efest battery vent inside my X Cube 2 after about a year and 3 months usage, so I would say don't use longer than a year max. There were no shorts and not even close to max draw (normally 12 amps on a 20 amp battery) of any sort as I am quite clued up with battery safety etc. So IMO, don't use longer than a year, and I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this, but stay away from Efest.
I have had Samsung's since February - still getting 4 to 5 days life in my rx200 with them - want to replace with LG's for the future-
These and Sony VTC 4's have taken me a long way, in eleaf mods, also getting mods to reach beyond 2 days usually, with constant use.

I had a Efest 2800mah - and it vented itself in a mech mod, they seem pathetic to me, it couldn't even charge nicely --- and that vomit purple is also a distasteful colour, which matches their performance.

By 'spoken law' 6 months is the supposed duration of a battery, but that should depend on how many charges it has had in those 180 days,

If I was getting 5 days per 3-some marriage - 180/5 = 36 charges - to keep up with those days you're telling me that a battery can only charge 36 times in 6 months... That doesn't sound like a product you would buy if you knew the value - but it does still go . the Day your battery vents and refuses to re-charge is probably the best - - and when you notice the battery isn't lasting as long as it used to that can be your indication to monitor the events management of your mod.

I use those Brown no name batteries. I have used 10 in rotation since January. Tonight I tested each one with a Multimeter. All above 4 Volts. I read somewhere that if the multimeter shows a fully charged battery reading of under 3.5 Volts, then it's time to trash it.

I am still learning about batteries, and the basics of vaping electronics. Very interesting and lots of fun.

IMG_1760.JPG

@Silver I got the green ones from The Vape Shop in Gateway before I discovered Sir Vape. And the brownies from Sir Vape. Both work well. Never had a problem.

Back