Coils for pico Squeeze

craigb

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
In my never ending quest to upgrade with an ever decreasing budget, I have come across the Pico Squeeze.

http://www.sirvape.co.za/collections/vw-mods/products/new-pico-squeeze-rda-battery-combo

Daft question :- Now what I was wondering is - how long can a coil be expected to last?

More practical questions...

I realise there will be rewicking to be done, which I should manage, but I will not have anything available to test the resistance of any coils I would build myself, and wouldn't want to risk untested coils on the device.

Is this actually an issue? Should I go ahead and buy the squeeze, and when coil time rolls around would I be able to build my own coils blind (x number of twists on y wire)? Or are there vendors (preferably in JHB/East rand) that sell/make to order?

Is the squeeze suitable for rebuildable n00bs? Should I stop being so cheap and just go for the Pico/Melo kit?

if you do go this route most vendors do sell pre-made coils, i get mine from vapeking fourways when i'm feeling lazy, but again most vendors will have them readily available in different ohms

Hey @craigb.

Daft question :- Now what I was wondering is - how long can a coil be expected to last?

Depending on the coil I do think a coil an be changed once a month, if regularly dry burnt and cleaned/rinsed the coil can usually last a long time. As for me I change it every two weeks but not because the coil is damaged or anything, just because I like to try different builds.

I realise there will be rewicking to be done, which I should manage, but I will not have anything available to test the resistance of any coils I would build myself, and wouldn't want to risk untested coils on the device.

An ohm reader is very very cheap, I got one with the coil building get I bought but to be honest I don't even use it. I build on the mod (turned off) then when I'm done, I fire on the mod and then wick and then put the chamber on and see that the resistance does not change and I know I'm not getting any shorts etc. The mods usually have built in protection so you should be fine.

Is this actually an issue? Should I go ahead and buy the squeeze, and when coil time rolls around would I be able to build my own coils blind (x number of twists on y wire)? Or are there vendors (preferably in JHB/East rand) that sell/make to order?

If you not comfortable building your coils, I am sure someone just needs to show you once and you will be all good, its really simple and if you don't fancy building best to just buy some pre-mades.

I hope this helps a bit.

All the best

I have had my Squeeza (;P) a while now , topped with a RM2 , build is easy 28g Kantral 5-6 wraps micro coil 2mm ID comes in at just under 1.0ohm you should be good to go. From the website blurb the Pico seems to be a semi regulated mod so won't fire if the drop is too much and tries to adjust the wattage also depending on battery sag. I can go a full day of vaping with the above coil , and yes been running it for about three weeks now , with re-wick every week. For anyone looking to get into squonking I whole heartedly can recommend the little pocker rocket .....

So you don't have a mod that can read ohms at all? I would probably invest in a cheap ohm reader then. It won't necessarily give you an accurate reading. But you will at least be able to check that there aren't shorts or some other problem. I imagine the Squeeze has built-in protections but if it won't fire and you don't know why, that will be a pain.

I have a Tesla Invader 3 which has no screen or ohm reader. So when I build, I pop the Limitless Plus onto an iStick just to verify that I'm getting roughly the same resistance as Wire Wizard calculates, and that I am actually getting a circuit, i.e. that both legs have been clamped properly and are making a good connection. Once that is established, I pop the atty onto the Invader.

Rebuilding without any means to check resistance strikes me as being a bit unwise. You could buy pre-made coils but I'd still rather have some means to check them.

Rebuilding without any means to check resistance strikes me as being a bit unwise. You could buy pre-made coils but I'd still rather have some means to check them.

I FULLY agree with this. even pre-built coils can short out, or you can accidentally clip the leads if you over tighten the screws. And I know this is not a post for the Serpent Mini 22, but the clearance on that Atty is so small if you can not cut the legs 100% flush, it will short out.
So yes, being able to test your build before putting it on a mod without a screen is the best way to stay safe and sane.

Rebuilding without any means to check resistance strikes me as being a bit unwise

That's the sense of things that I'd had.

So my thinking so far is to NOT rebuild without a means to test resistance (the Pico squeeze does have protections - but rather be safe than sorry)
If I go for the squonker, I would probably be happy to put faith in pre-built coils.
Save up for an ohm tester
Build my own epic (hehehehe) coils
???
Profit

Thank you @RichJB , @Anneries , @Daniel and everyone else. It is really helpful and truly and deeply appreciated. I may not follow your advice to the 'T' but it has been taken into serious consideration. Using coils without a means to test the resistance will be used as a temporary measure and taken under due consideration and warning.

It might be naive but I am prepared to take the risk with prebuilt, but I think it would be ill advised to build without the ohmmeter (knowing the quality of my workmanship, even with the meter will be a challenge :) )

Push comes to shove, could ask some of the vapers at work to fire up the coil on their mods just to test - it's not like it will be an everyday occurrence.

Back