Correct % for mtl

Angelus

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi all

I usually mix dl juice over the years but now I want to do that and mtl. What I don’t understand is …. These recipes online is the given % of flavour the same for any nic strength and for any bottle size?
If no , then how exactly does one know the correct % of flavour for the nic and total ml that you are mixing o_O

I did read this post aswell.
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/threads/moving-from-dl-to-mtl.77769/

Also mixing mtl the flavour % seems to be very exact, like 1.07 ect. I usually just use a syringe for my dl and wing it “proberly a sin I know” but I don’t mix complex juice … usually just 2 flavours. Anyway what do you use to get these exact flavour %’s . I do have one of those small calculator type shape measuring thingie, will that do?

If using strong concentrates I measure in drops buy if measuring using weight yes one of those small digital (usually sold as a jewellery scale) is perfect!

Yes if moving to mtl then in general people tend to need a higher mg level either to get the needed nicotine craved or/and throat hit but nothings written in stone and everyone is different so for example even though I mtl I still only mix at 2%, it really is just trial and error just remember you can't remove nicotine if you have added too much (yes you can dilute the recipe but that just brings a whole new load of complications) but you can add if you require more!

Ok cool makes sense. I want to make 12ml and 20ml using recipes from atf they have quite a few tobacco stuff … I only use my mtl for tobacco stuff.

Just to confirm the flavour % must be as it is in the recipe ?
Been lazy and been vaping commercial mtl and after awhile I’m like out of breath, think maybe need to drop the vg, maybe 60pg 40vg not sure

As someone who only makes own recipe's @Quintusson might be the best person to know if you need to up the flavour % because I believe he makes e-liquid for both MTL and DL usage, I would imagine he would need to see the particular recipe first!

Look, a very broad rule of thumb is that for MTL you should increase a DL recipe by 1.5x, so 10% becomes 15%, etc. But this does not always hold true as there are a few factors involved.

First is the nicotine content. If you looking at 12 - 20mg nic end solution, then this is generally a good rule of thumb. Once you go higher, like 30 - 50mg, then you need to adjust more for the flavours to push past the nic.

The second factor is, are you using nic salts or freebase. If nic salts, again the 1.5x rule stands, if freebase you will need to increase more as at those levels (and please, don't mix freebase at 20mg, you will kill your throat) freebase becomes harsh.

The third factor is the flavours being used. If I bump banana or cinnamon or menthol by the same 1.5x levels as the other flavours in a juice, then those will be too prominent in either recipe. They need a bump of like 1.2x or such. But something like a lychee may need a 1.7x bump for example. Seeing as you're doing tobacco flavours, and to make it easy, the 1.5x rule should be sufficient.

And yes, a 60/40 VG/PG mix should be solid.

Then use either a online juice calculator (e.g. https://e-liquid-recipes.com/create) or you can download one for your PC (I use https://diyjuicecalculator.com/ - needs some set up though in that you need to add your ingredients, nic, etc.). In there you add your flavour percentages, PG/VG ratio, nic content, amount you want to make and it calculates everything for you. From there onwards you can then either use a scale or syringes, both will work.

Back