Help and advice with my Evic VTC mini - dodgy firebutton

KingSize

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hey Guys

Wondering if anyone can help here....

I bought my Evic VTC mini mid-late November 2015 - I'm extremely happy with it, however...

Today the fire button stopped clicking... like its almost always depressed - the mod still works fine and fires only when I press the button down...but compared to the other 2 buttons on the device, it doesn't return to the point where it should, and where it used to.

I'm paranoid that one day the button will stop working completely! Then I'm screwed...

Has anyone had a similar issue? I have tried spraying it with Electrical contact cleaner but that didn't help.

The vendor said that they give a 2 month warranty but I bought it from them 61 days ago... not sure how this is going to go down with the vendor. I also can't find the damn receipt but hopefully I'm on their system as I know which date I purchased the mod.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

hi

i have a feeling that behind the button there is a plastic ring clip "thingy" that's broken. the clip is round and pushes the button away from the back of the mod. as you press the button it compresses the ring.

perhaps @Rowan Francis can come to the rescue ?

There may also be a bullet to be bitten.

I've run into it a couple of times, not specifically on the VTC mini.

These devices are really cheap (I've seen VTC Mini's for $34.99) so after 6 months, i think its a matter of borrowed time :p

That said, I agree with @shaunnadan's diagnosis

Hey Guys

I bought my Evic VTC mini mid-late November 2015 - I'm extremely happy with it, however...

Today the fire button stopped clicking... like its almost always depressed - the mod still works fine and fires only when I press the button down...but compared to the other 2 buttons on the device, it doesn't return to the point where it should, and where it used to.

I'm paranoid that one day the button will stop working completely! Then I'm screwed...

Has anyone had a similar issue? I have tried spraying it with Electrical contact cleaner but that didn't help.

The vendor said that they give a 2 month warranty but I bought it from them 61 days ago... not sure how this is going to go down with the vendor. I also can't find the damn receipt but hopefully I'm on their system as I know which date I purchased the mod.

so not to throw some more rain onto you, but a dodgy button could also get stuck and not stop firing......

Excellent. Just excellent.

So how do I approach the vendor with this issue is my next question...

so not to throw some more rain onto you, but a dodgy button could also get stuck and not stop firing......

If I'm not mistaken the VTC mini has built in protection, after 10 seconds it cuts off. But still a bit dodge, I agree, wouldn't want to have to test that feature.

if there is one thing i learnt from broken toys. all safety mechanisms go out the window.

Hey Guys

Sounds very much like the tactile switch under the fire button has neared its end.
If you cant get the device replaced due to a "factory fault" your only other option is to replace the tact switch on the board.
For that you'd need some skills with a soldering iron... 15W fine tip type.

...or you could hunt up a reputable cellphone repair place and with pcb in hand(they'd charge more to dismantle an unknown device) find out if they can repair it for you.
I have had experience with repairing these tact type switches successfully on other electronics, but it wouldnt be a cost effective solution to ship it down to me and then back up to you again.
If you dont have success at the vendor, you'd need to source someone local to you.

I bought mine at Yebo electronics, R4 odd, but yours is almost certain to be a SMT type. ie harder to work with.
b1fc0bcce9c7762cf9043f41f7f85e55.image.120x120.jpg

These evics use really cheap tact switches and the soldering leaves alot to be desired. Its almost like they don't flow the boards at the right temp or something. I have a evic VT here and the button fell off when I took it apart. The pads didn't pull off the board, the solder was just crap. The other VT I had the joy of working with, the switch is actually cracked. So yeah the guys gave good advice. Mantech, communica, yebotronics and RS should all have a replacement switch for you, probably of better quality. Just find someone to solder for you. Rowan is a good bet.

Thanks @Gazzacpt! After 11 responses, someone actually provides usefull info :)

How do I get hold of Rowan? Is he in JHB?

Ah yes, so he did.... LOL

I work close to Mantech so I could go get the switch today....but do you know what switch I need to ask them for? I dont really want to take the device apart to show them if I dont need to...

Thanks

I work close to Mantech so I could go get the switch today....but do you know what switch I need to ask them for? I dont really want to take the device apart to show them if I dont need to...

Thanks
Never opened a VTC so can't help you there, sorry. I'm sure a bit of google will help you open her up. You going to need a sample to match.

Thanks
Like @Gazzacpt said, theres a large range of tact switches and the only way to know is to open and measure.
Heres an example of your dilemma.
Taken from IndianVapers on Youtube

Matsakonistis BM 1 week ago (edited)
hello the fire button on my evic vtc mini from the usage lost the clickiness and im thinking to replace it from the board, so check that button in the link, is the right one?

http://grobotronics.com/tact-switch-4x4mm-1.6mm-4pin-smd.html?
·

IndianVapers 1 week ago
+Matsakonistis BM - I can't be too sure if that button will work. You may have to try one to know if it will work. Probably, take out the button and measure it's thickness with a pair of calipers and then check it against the thickness of the one you've mentioned.?
·

Matsakonistis BM 1 week ago
yeah you are right is not the right one, i opened the mod and is different switch?

Back