I saw, I wanted, I bought in and I failed...

ace_d_house_cat

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
So this post relates to my boro/bridge journey so far. Here goes:

I've been vaping for many years now and at any big event at least one of my friend carried a Billet Box around. I'd always be intirgued byt the form factor and would always give it a whirl. 99% of the time if was filled with a fruity flavoured e-liquid with some/lots of ice (the complete opposite of what I vape). On the odd occasion when I would sample a desert e-liquid, it didn't really shine and I was ever so happy to go back to vaping my desert juices in my RTA/RDA with wide open airflow at 50+ watts. The fact that a genuine Billet Box costed (as near as made no difference) R1m :-D further cemented my decision to stick with a box mod and tank/dripper.

I am the type of person that is always interested in the "new new" (vaping kit, tech, etc.) I started to gain interest in boro devices once they become a bit more populuar recently; the Pulse AIO and similar devices made it affordable and easy to get into the boro and bridge market. I was on the fence right up until I watched a few videos on the Stubby - it was machined metal, such a great form factor, and just appealed to be in general. I just had to have one, so I did!
eqI7z4UtQG9Y1lQB0o_35Dog6F8ZsFabzE2D8EwRzKlVSRMEpM9SUZU86nNYBLZmA17prX-pVpd2-kTmEotTMSKScoGWoFRPiweYT_TzcvfC1rOU8KDHZ0uc5sX4HXgFimTmbN3k0P5jTPhIg4Fgg3uQwvK4dTrL63ZtQqPo70T-QBBM7efmbfoyEeMzRPPfqnuIVKbFaBAUZgUEv9FhoQnEhc-ZZckrkRSY4lKGFlsgAX4MO-TUX1Q7V55rmn_1Ir7HrFPCkg5IWXOd-4cv3qMKruWWUiB8JiNhSoy_JhtErG9kaCIPWgnb7ICa_kJxvNghAYb7Ie0Cks4WFCiphjvOyBrlLP_y0AyLEr0rRSceNl2qhJCdaEtA_PibbuSHjeRqkEkjbtUCUbhA7HE3RpO4NOtqsra1oGH5_4PEUTqrdMapL3lQ8Mq6qRay68IAjzoWIYFYjh7oIn7uycPJlt_cKJ3JhQpPVX7L-O7QywyrYP1we0V28NUehu7uAmy_2ALyIhDRgq7lGSmQ86kAx24MTX8mnKhJz8-H3P72XMKt56qAhk_10ZlQgPbRWkpwx2iSBiWqPIg1Ora3tUwxP2rg04PPN2i9i-M3URBU2lMnk3r_FcF5kgYeDJbrVhsNlRGcgYrtxQOd-7IGDJUd273alh08eSCWc8okpozsUAAu0NTSmrxI6NSpnsxj5VGae18Hp9YfE6mygqBkKYHUr4DE3jZvMnYKFRBaFMsrfmV3D3Cx4CrmjHMCgEgvZRVdTXDJg76omXToMDPGCw6UkkvsZIW52mJQi0z8pJkdC9i4rv3zFmgqQbPafohbr_lgAL0TrZ386WbXU7TugVntso3FGlmTFusutrq6weMYs1uXqc7s73ip6Dl6cGSFThBki3O5GF7BHNUrFk9X_hJknpVhGM4vVvP1pU6dFV_TH0CJX0uNDA=w553-h983-s-no

Although I love my wide open DL vape, I have been clinging to my Caliburn Koko Prime with 9-12mg) e-liquid in it over the last few months. It became my device of choice. The thinking was that the Stubby would sit somewhere in-between the two and I'd reach for it instead of my Koko prime (with lower nicotine content).
gv_KgVGGiyilJce-Jl4T8gVbn3Tas7kpQJHq_LmK5vtQECLIpm6eNiI5FED1uGMlpBKwye1dGvXsfe-UMKOf8oo0XtwdIyXA4p2XsO479sBTmUpEeS5mkdSPAV78BVgSX0F18g8Z_c2z7kdsREqn3mSvWXFvMhT-Pvasq2WCB8c1-rJ6DRGG_UHzzrm7PIz-rEHAIBS5CoV605Vdjkl3Izogg19AXjAljiaukIvx-l45cvRQDdFjF3ep9vez-zVi-p0T-5Z8oDJ3R5odjyF0qzVxiKMiJWz5QlcsQ-cdnzaQrnRmWhCmTpH6NaFdgkA80dF8ddFTAJVhHx_2XoIeT6X6NG7-115r8ARJOAbdJ7yLaknblrbXFCRoy4z8dCY-tR4uNItuNohvRpIhHMoGvatzk6hwyfrkhStlZWdQ1Vm0e2SJf83HDWVQ-tGyPARVn606qBD6roMyJvPkmF0qYg6gD-tFwniO5Cq0CfP-UqHSlCGXH56ZCLS2-0E43oxkK3oFI1VWjxTa6JFhDTOJdE2-iDTOmopOpWQoGj5AzmBGUu2gPA9PL8e0QloCQISrEtUDbYpvU_0fX1lceU3q-9Po-S_0AoKTwKCLR_mJiCqNgAmdP2Mqej-NfhBuj7rdM2RiAatMTvpYPv7xRxCc8u4bcs2OqQ5-dPfPcsP9sxelzozo9jIJx8KDUH3ZYlxWjAe0CaAeS6Hxjf6we6VC3J0o58RIrjClqYxXn0BrEBdTnPNL0e_0ogqr_JvhiaAErptDhlNADWTYXTirwFx--KGqFQOZC8mYznSWo08nU4_-t_nse1v112UyzPsTySSt7Q9WaGmMQrfZheK3GHf5NBklVwkuV5GTYBQhd0WQpnGRQrsZd5xrd0KrJIAp7j7H39T1VFsqmt702U1RSYsqlZlvv0jlvMQZ0zdsw0cZcQk7UopeHA=w737-h983-s-no

At this point I'd like to state that although I'm no expert at wicking (which will become apparent as you read on) I have wicked some pretty difficult tanks with ease in the past. Veteran vapers will remember how difficult it was to get the wicking just right on the Kangertech RBA and tanks like the Geekvape Griffin and Eagle without leaking.
After receiving my stubby I'd set it up with a recommended 2.5mm ID alien coil, running at somewhere around 30w and was very excited. I'd taken a few draws and was left completely underwhelmed, to a point where I thought "I must be doing something wrong here". Coil after coil, wicking technique after wicking technique it was just all so muted.
7UoZe5zW1fAc_MSiRD-rKVPzJDAkahOSyUHqH6_57dXQcxHnA6WfgQZaL_bVEqSdiFwZg8E9jp1DtKN0w4Npd46qcu0ljut1RNFpsIJHLEbk4MpgSJrTut83zUJUJ4iAPK--h3juurBh1GSao2Hk_ApxZ_YbnfZrAN6aN9Mj2lVAL1WlREgiIjYe6TOMC-rfsCEnvHmZjXJemJsx-RCQZ844nBIo4-WwcZrQwZK9ZobsV2vuKmJgBP_Jr9NimAFQLw6yPX8jIwqJ2cNIoQNvlWdwZR9J0xIHTB5-W6indvvV23WWZkcBVeLfzCV9wNMhxXTeNc5A3vWTslB1A8CT72ZDa9aGrwS4jeLl1lTtD1BYZoVTrVxC_6cNnnkuUCE4MF7IfuBg2vhfj8SgsZSUzKGxTNCy0t2tBcYastXITLj2B2QOnKzJxhyU5V04MBF8nQKpA1_0Ux-04FjYw_h7_7Y28ps4KYdF82vGfG7mvMVQ95Cd70qSwdL6BgztQvdrHaAMId7Ld-FkxVIuNM16wUqMumdVdF5QLztRpXv6upiG3uWRlgHJM-Q7f61RrB1h5W9uOtEFwyrB2UKq-HhtvybH92aBiVvqBhPNU9r5XWzFJ1Y51OLf-Pa9O58JIV86FvVkPYw7KK16r4Ze8MsZvYwDwTexmdSiEISnWD-ylffxj51PZZo2GLiZLMPF7jC0k4-ML8R9HwGpeqa79VxzZQPZdKcNvZkrrfdRz7XBloCO7vfhFIDz3dcuZUBjp5Bogxo4JZEwVch_eHyLIDkvMUZq8dotAyr4_auv5jQOvY7HC_g_kngUP1Y0fAkxPXzp-jV05z6CSvOqxAWo4ioEn7fT5n2CVuEiJ8fEbDa-Q9sks_7VRmUhUhW5UN_EuO2wtW18Ij4h-KvsGKo3Qqne1IvDFckeJhhUrIuTIA7VA1-XaHjSaA=w553-h983-s-no

After reading a few post and watching a few videos how almost everyone swaps out the Stubby tank for a boro I decided to enter the fray. The one I had read the most about that was accessible was the Ether Boro kit. I'd purchased one, waited patiently and had it brought over with a friend that was travelling from SA to come visit.
My experience was broadly the same; put a coil it, wick it, and be disappointed once more. Sometimes to a point where I'd take a few drags, leave it aside for a few weeks and just keep using my Reload 24...
nbsJX-D7MyrBS6lnHOhiBp288oWgdowf7U0JNNM3BRlaAigV5KLMPZscenFb12nO2P3cHZaKlI3uGLxYNJbI6DP85Zc3oiv5mNm4l616mO8ScLixUcawkQHuSLDPoQn6VuAUL9F1GWgTnQUzpSy7I-aVNV60O0CMiiRTymWNDcVecOTf9A7KXVo-vY-zi1iq4MNvgzQspvZH97oUYfQ-VJB-r_jIAzMcPm_yRk8e8RqEeNQy0wW8J6pH0nzf1UVdrQoOlFkFJANW9lh-8OBCukQ-ao9yCa8wJYJ6scdTQWsfiBqS31Z9znHyrfW6MkDXG1IdDPfIE9dZVrgF2Hf5jw7p1TmzOtPyO9BHocbWdYFpglSidmwPFm0aqkVzqDF7N6jV1gyaLeWOkWCIm30ZyETcBZG5jwMCpMKoPOEJwej2a0IlA4nQ8tYH-wOsOAXKcMn_eQJcZghKZoHxwu1jfAh7mIvHGOAO0Nk3Qt73LebcZbTq639Rja0Tu113G4jdgbaNyihsqFdBLnMFzTBgu7416muCFNuGzoSdd3Ptu-J1PSWFochMuF3j4iBQUEj6enRivh506LxsQWw9bGlNjMYpmXDGGfSDemodvbnpXIkypvnjMMJC58CDuhQBMeDprZEXG1DBZ-3uxkjCDzcrEeS7A85xBbyfYmsKy8qhUaPvMj4QBEZ3zU-1jvvQ-LK4XxzPY7ymSzxEcBgoxNccAAJW0kdjxCxQJwc1rlJ-DgOhVvVd8AR2jCZlsQkiRpe0vDDGRZe7JifZYO_q1dDqDo2tayVr-6_RZapnrgaz-Ymo20If7NdFduUX5qTQmOy6ZjTV9nKwcJzt5yVOvKsYPTS5RvNXnS-Fe7z_GqQmGdLdqQbBgifs51n2JbREuMakqhtDS14IWkoTSQsJV0b7qx40J4NIl67YLD3Y6yZ7DJqSvYDDOA=w553-h983-s-no

Around 10 (exotic and hand rolled) coils, three different cotton brands and many different wicking styles later I'd had enough. I could not get the Ether to produce even close to acceptable flavour (let alone close to that of reviewers).

Now for the failure part. Well not so much a failure as a cop-out.

Wanting to keep my Stubby (it's such a great for factor for home and to move around with) I opted for a TMD boro with the TMD stock coils. Although it can never rival my RDAs and Reload I am happy with the solid 7/10 flavour it delivers. I now have to keep buying coils for this tank but, it seems to work so I don't mind.

snQqomkFwiTx3p6Zx8jvI19z9F5ISkJJSbBNbuj0QM8S--UQjkvb69XBfGoghBMVh06gMM4O8GM0QlfS7ZNU3BfsH7k9GEp88pCoA0qCkumzBlKAADl5rJ0E20X0AFw-Esa4XNBkgYhOUBPk3Be4bWALHkLkuURTZ761tDWkWQnnNY5TpH-RGpBVJFkhYN1GzBMZdvM3dMemTA3YSLexVk7EvViLxyDjhw4olZVtwQrTcvXNzA7-AZr0Wl0WV3e-cmR2r5GzMrB5U6AceCYFR55p5aMAoKI01HbjcqlmOaC_8ds19ui7ng0x6ziEDpRbUWLCrJPmc69deEczWvtwcAAQmsTvyQ4SWV9l_ypEB7nffhI2TmWQNEz7uLkAgF5HR2qcx43lUAWjo1-5fkTJzcsOzzTeYGB_PjcDJbcLqbspQfHz1HqYWpG6Oq41cLmtdJtTvzFafNHJG6MKSY19BVlKUqe5B5ZIv-wrjABm4prrsN01Tn4TQGxBd7sq3yw2TJLLDLmwYAHaAqeOJNiE3wkCPx54qLUagoj1nqkJG2QmS_1YQdwdIJ06nr18Qg-YK1Z3J2CX7NAHfh4P74bksjnF9AmhUDSdQGtgbLnvuWBaTeZZC_oO3ZL0CU4I4892Gtr_Oi1EBXFBN1h7ZB686Vup9xiTImAb4eFL9RGHWgRz41ANpv8fMYhqYPYAiSaa2R-R9ZnfQi-kYmQiCty8LomXcypITHils40K6ksVnGlLBUEhnCF7yn41RaPAkP5jMaN_QUoqWVmsoeXSRNv8FYtKnpsRPjR1tMQi5Delm5N8-h7TADU0onz23AQ92mSKLe9431ihUBQM9HqziRKKpWxSurCIPtg_92Pon7yl72qE5XewILwIakINiVoG2zfNyU8DHzhkEfCSjJ2WoEdFVc4L5JOXWX_1WRkuG2xedbuVaD6vmg=w1746-h983-s-no

As I mentioned, it is a satisfactory setup (great that I still get to use my Stubby) but I think my time with RBAs is done, for now at least.

Until next time... Or something else catches my attention that I "MUST HAVE!" :facepalm:.

All comments will be appreciated.

Yip at the end of the day there are some great bridges (Atom Cloud Mod and SkyNet to name a few), but I too return to my beloved Dvarw DL which is simply perfect for me!

I've always maintained that small devices such as these and pods are not made for dessert flavours. If you're a fruity flavour kind of person, then it will work for you but otherwise you are likely to be disappointed like I was as I am a full on desserts only vaper (except for my Red Bull on occassion). I think it's because desserts just perform better at higher temps. But that is my own opinion based on my own experiences, though truth be told none of them involved a AIO device, however a number of different pods were tried and shunned in the process.

@ivc_mixer for sure. I fully agree with you there.

I think for me, the thought of a boro device was better than actually having one.

I forgot to mention; if you're stocking up on coils for a TMD Boro, opt for the 0.3 ohm coil. The 0.55 is garbage; it isn't a mesh coil and burnt out after a tank and a bit. Use the 0.3 and turn the airflow down instead.

Thanks so much for the honest review @ace_d_house_cat of your boro device journey I too felt the need to dwell into this side of vaping but never pull the trigger as I maintain I won't be satisfied as I am with a mech or regulated squonk mod and rda. So that is where I will stay with a squonk mod and rda which has always been my go too setups.

What an honest and great review. @DavyH let me try his and it was spot on .... for me. I hope he chimes in and shares his experiance.
OK, I shall :)

I've always found boro AIOs to be jacks of all trades, good at everything, but no more than that. The Stubby isn't flawless, but I do think it's better than the majority.

Pros -
Great hand feel.
Isolated components and batteries.
RDTA - less condensation and leakage than most boros.
Personally I find it pretty easy to wick. Full through the coil, bowtie and snip the top of the bowtie completely off, drop the remainder on to the top of the cables. Don't be afraid to mess around with coil height. I've seen advice to remove a wire from cables/a cable from the tank to prevent air locks, but I've never found the need.
Huge capacity for an AIO.

I haven't bothered with replacement tanks as I'm perfectly happy with the stock one.

Cons -
Doesn't work with all flavours. I find it slightly muted and really only suitable for sharper or cooler flavours - something I've found with every iteration of every AIO I've ever tried. Fruits and ices only for me in it.
Takes a while to get a handle on the installation of the battery and tank - everything needs to be screwed down a bit more tightly than you would normally find comfortable or there are intermittent shorts.
Terrible drip tip, really awful. Again, this seems to be the one common feature of all AIOs. Uncle @Rob Fisher helped me out with that particular problem!
Doesn't handle higher wattages all that well. I find it to perform best (for me!) on a 0.3ohm coil at about 30 watts. I find that simpler coils perform better - round wire and claptons are fine.

There seem to be a lot more cons in the above list, but on the whole I'm extremely happy with the 18650 - haven't bought the 21700 version and don't really feel the need.

The most hit or miss part of the vaping world whether that's boro to boro or even user specific (most inconsistent when it comes to what one user can find great the next finds pretty rubbish or anything inbetween), The big issue I have is this is exactly the same with high end boros so many can spend a mini fortune and be left very disappointed!

My own experience and bug bare is leaking and muted flavour, some say condensation but as my only top airflow leakproof boro magically has zero condensation and the so called condensation with others when using a tissue is the same shade as the e-liquid being used then I take condensation as a codeword for leaking to those in denial.

I still think boros and boro devices coming to the mainstream was a good thing as some will find a magical set-up that suits them when previously they were only affordable to the have's and not regular vapers. Out of the ones I have I tried I would like the Steam Crave Meson if I was a DL Vaper but my favourite is the Cthulhu which is plain, simple, well made and very reasonably priced, out of the ones I have tried I can see the pull towards the Pulse but it just feels cheap to me!

I have only tried about a dozen Boro/Boro RBA's and out of them the clear winner is the Umbrella Mods Vision Boro RBA (now 1.5v available). zero leaking or cough cough condensation, really nice vape quality, good range of MTL/RDL airflow options and very decent flavour.

I agree with all the comments from you guys.

The effort and cost involved doesn't equate to the reward gained. I keep my Stubby around because it's about the closest thing to my MTL pod. It gives me a tight(ish) RDL draw and is compact enough.

When all is said and done, you still cannot beat a good, old fashioned high quality RTA or RDA as a daily.

After setting up my Ether Boro again, trying a few different coils and a more wicking methods I still cannot get any flavour whatsoever from it. I am officially done with it.

I have however ordered a Reload RBA with a set of "The One" coils and it should be here sometime next week. Reload Vapor has never let me down in the past, I hope it doesn't now!

I will keep you guys posted!

After setting up my Ether Boro again, trying a few different coils and a more wicking methods I still cannot get any flavour whatsoever from it. I am officially done with it.

I have however ordered a Reload RBA with a set of "The One" coils and it should be here sometime next week. Reload Vapor has never let me down in the past, I hope it doesn't now!

I will keep you guys posted!
I battled with the various bridges for a long time as well and the best I found was the Boxxer V2 rdta. easy build and wick and good flavour.

good luck with the Reload.

I battled with the various bridges for a long time as well and the best I found was the Boxxer V2 rdta. easy build and wick and good flavour.

good luck with the Reload.
I really do not know how so many people have success with that Ether bridge. Whatever I try it does not seem to work.

I really do not know how so many people have success with that Ether bridge. Whatever I try it does not seem to work.
I was the same with the bp mods pioneer. Sometimes it was ok ish at best. The rest of the time just finicky and kak. Oh well. Expensive lessons have been learnt!

I was the same with the bp mods pioneer. Sometimes it was ok ish at best. The rest of the time just finicky and kak. Oh well. Expensive lessons have been learnt!
And to think I aaaaaalmost pulled the trigger on a Pioneer before the Ammo.

This is the thing with most bridges and boros; if they don't work it's not cheap. Unlike an RTA or RDA, if you don't like it you're out of pocket for R500/600 in most cases.

And to think I aaaaaalmost pulled the trigger on a Pioneer before the Ammo.

This is the thing with most bridges and boros; if they don't work it's not cheap. Unlike an RTA or RDA, if you don't like it you're out of pocket for R500/600 in most cases.
but thats the problem right there. a boro bridge either works or it doesnt, an rta or rda has a bit of wiggle room to fix it.

most people loved the pioneer, to me it was absolutely average. the boxxer v2 to me is perfect. more airflow than a normal bride and easy to wick and loads of flavour.

Back