Is The Ego-ce4 Charger Compatible With A Twisp?

That looks great! Thank you, Sir. Would I be able to test a battery whilst in the Reo or is that not advisable?
VFXEhPo.jpg

@Matthee if you can get the probes to connect with the + & - of battery while seated in your Reo, Yes by all means, just don't short the + probe with the conductive part of the casing. It would be interesting to see if there is any voltage drop and if so, by how much if you press the button.

@Matthee if you can get the probes to connect with the + & - of battery while seated in your Reo, Yes by all means, just don't short the + probe with the conductive part of the casing. It would be interesting to see if there is any voltage drop and if so, by how much if you press the button.
Let me get this right, the red is the - probe and the black the + probe? Black to go to the battery's + side and the red to the - side?

Let me get this right, the red is the - probe and the black the + probe? Black to go to the battery's + side and the red to the - side?

HOSA @Matthee! RED is always positive (+) & BLACK is always negative (-), thus RED goes to battery + & BLACK goes to battery -

Okay so it works, but now I have 2 different wall adaptors, both have the same voltage but they both have different mA readings on the sticker, the USB charger is 420mA, one adaptor is more than 420mA and one is less (will give exact readings later tonight) Which is better to use?

You can use anything up to 1000mA or 1A - the lower the mA the longer it will take to charge

EDIT: Just need to add, 1A is for most batteries, if your battery gets anything warmer than luke warm, then 1A is too high for it, 500mA is safe for pretty much all the batteries out there

EDIT2: Sorry I'm sick and high on all the meds I took...

Safest is to charge your batteries at it's at 1C - which is it's mAh rating , so a 650mAh battery can be safely charged with 650mA max

Last edited:
You can use anything up to 1000mA or 1A - the lower the mA the longer it will take to charge

EDIT: Just need to add, 1A is for most batteries, if your battery gets anything warmer than luke warm, then 1A is too high for it, 500mA is safe for pretty much all the batteries out there

with regards to ego's can I use the standard usb cable that comes with the ego battery and plug it into a 1A Samsung S3 wall adapter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Batteries are normally made to be charged at 1C - i.e 1 times its mAh rating - so if your Ego is 650mAh, then the safest charge you can do for it is 650mA - there are better batteries that can charge at 2C and up, but I doubt that would put that high quality stuff in an Ego

So for safety sake, no - rather stick withe the standard 500mA

So I realize my previous post is not 100% correct, I was thinking of different batteries - I will edit and correct

Last edited:
Batteries are normally made to be charged at 1C - i.e 1 times its mAh rating - so if your Ego is 650mAh, then the safest charge you can do for it is 650mA - there are better batteries that can charge at 2C and up, but I doubt that would put that high quality stuff in an Ego

So for safety sake, no - rather stick withe the standard 500mA

So I realize me previous post is not 100% correct, I was thinking of different batteries - I will edit and correct
Thanks Derick

I read somewhere on Battery University that the best is to have a charger that charges it up initially quite fast and then slows down to a trickle for the last part.

Not sure if these little wall adapters for the 650mah batteries (Twisp etc) actually do that.

So my logic is that using the lower mA rated charger is safer, slower - and should be better for the battery. Only downside is that it's slower.

I am not a battery expert at all and don't claim to know all about it. @Derick, @johanct - what do you think of my logic above?

I read somewhere on Battery University that the best is to have a charger that charges it up initially quite fast and then slows down to a trickle for the last part.

Not sure if these little wall adapters for the 650mah batteries (Twisp etc) actually do that.

So my logic is that using the lower mA rated charger is safer, slower - and should be better for the battery. Only downside is that it's slower.

I am not a battery expert at all and don't claim to know all about it. @Derick, @johanct - what do you think of my logic above?

@Silver to answer your Q's: each battery manufacturer specifies the ideal charging curves (current & voltage) for his specific battery in the data sheets. Most curves that I've seen for Li-ion, Li-mn and Li-pol agree more/less what you've stated - high initial charge current (initial 1A that gradually tapers off to 0A as the battery reaches +/-4.23V).

The small USB chargers all work on constant voltage (+/-4.2V) and constant current (+/-420mA), meaning the voltage is limited to +/-4.23V and the current is limited to +/- 420mA. The Red LED stays on while the battery draws 'charge' current and the green LED comes on when the battery doesn't draw any more 'charge' current at +/- 4.23V.

The Nitecore's and Efest type desktop chargers are limited to 1A/bay charge current and their voltages are also limited to maximum +/- 4.25V, and follows a general industry accepted charge curve. The battery and unit protection circuitry built into these units are far more better than the small USB chargers, that is why all Ego, Evod etc. type small batteries have built in protection circuitry in the head (top part where atomizer/clearomizer connects) as well.

With Li-ion, Li-mn and Li-pol Fast or Slow charging doesn't influence the life time of these batteries as such. The biggest influences are Low discharge (below manufacturers specs), High operating temperature and excessive current beyond manufacturer specs. Hope this bring some clarity

Ok - thanks for the explanation @johanct - that is very interesting and enlightening.

So then, if you don't have the ideal voltage/current charging curve for your battery or you can't control the curve of the chargers you have at your disposal, is my original logic right then? I.e. safest to use the charger that outputs the lowest constant mA current?

As an example, lets say you have a Ego style battery and you don't know what the right specs are for a suitable charger.

You have two charging devices to your disposal:
- a cell phone charger that say outputs 4.2V and 420mA
- a GPS unit charger that outputs 4.2V and 750mA

Am I right in saying you should go for the 420mA charger, just in case the battery doesnt "like" the 750mA?

@Silver - with Ego style batteries, yes your conclusion is correct.

Send from Android device using Tapatalk

Back