Mech Mod safety

Puff&Pass

Mech'O'ManiaC
LV

Awards
Hey guys, I've been playing around a lot with Mech Mod building in the last month and have learned a lot. Thought I'd just share some valuable information when attempting to build or even when buying Mech mods.

That said. Batteries doesn't really explode like people think they do, 99% of the time they vent releasing massive pressure in a short time or catch fire. So when you have a mech mod, check you contacts frequently on your mod 510 and your tank/atty. And even with bought mech mods, ensure the mod casing have sufficient venting rather overkill than have too little venting. In the explosions that have happened in the US all were due to short circuit with insufficient venting resulting in the mod casing exploding not the battery.

So if your contact are fine and your mod casing have proper vents, your mod cannot explode. Please do pay attention to this and check ur batteries and resistances for additional safety.

Happy vaping folks...

A venting battery is very bad aswell super hot gasses travelling at speed and its toxic. Be safe.

I have seen that you do get a lot of different 18650 variaties from various locations...and yes some of them are extremely cheap, and as we all know you will always get people that would choose budget over safety. If you do, which I do not recommend look out for the following. Ensure that it has Anti short circuit/fire/explosion protection, if this is not specified do not use it in mechs, just to be safe, I suppose if it'll keep you vaping and there is no other choice you could use unprotected ones in your regulated mods.

I have seen that you do get a lot of different 18650 variaties from various locations...and yes some of them are extremely cheap, and as we all know you will always get people that would choose budget over safety. If you do, which I do not recommend look out for the following. Ensure that it has Anti short circuit/fire/explosion protection, if this is not specified do not use it in mechs, just to be safe, I suppose if it'll keep you vaping and there is no other choice you could use unprotected ones in your regulated mods.

I never use protected cells in a mech. They have volatile chemistry, normally icr cells are protected and not really suited to high drain applications but will do ok in low load regulated mods 10 - 30w.

On mechs I use high drain capable cells and they are not protected. The imr/inr chemistry is deemed more stable and safer. They will still vent if abused. Sony VTC, AW, Samsung 25r, LG HE2, Efest 20A/25A/35A are all "unprotected".

There are quite a few battery safety threads on this forum I suggest you go through them.

I never use protected cells in a mech. They have volatile chemistry, normally icr cells are protected and not really suited to high drain applications but will do ok in low load regulated mods 10 - 30w.

On mechs I use high drain capable cells and they are not protected. The imr/inr chemistry is deemed more stable and safer. They will still vent if abused. Sony VTC, AW, Samsung 25r, LG HE2, Efest 20A/25A/35A are all "unprotected".

There are quite a few battery safety threads on this forum I suggest you go through them.
I suggest that you read my post again...every battery you mentioned...is between R150 - R250...I own a few of them aswell and use them unprotected aswell...I stated that some people are going to buy CHEAP batteries from various locations, not the vendors on here, this I have seen in my town happening, for these folks that buy cheap batteries...WHICH I DO NOT SUGGEST...should read the descriptions...and try to get some protection on them at least. Is that clear enough to understand? Or should I put it yet in another context.

I have done enough research and that is why I use what I use, please do not tell me again to go do my homework like I don't know sh*t about the topic.

We tried accelerated Guava steeping today.

This is the same bottle of juice, shot at approximately 30 minute intervals - after being left in the sun:

View attachment 29317

I suggest that you read my post again...every battery you mentioned...is between R150 - R250...I own a few of them aswell and use them unprotected aswell...I stated that some people are going to buy CHEAP batteries from various locations, not the vendors on here, this I have seen in my town happening, for these folks that buy cheap batteries...WHICH I DO NOT SUGGEST...should read the descriptions...and try to get some protection on them at least. Is that clear enough to understand? Or should I put it yet in another context.

I have done enough research and that is why I use what I use, please do not tell me again to go do my homework like I don't know sh*t about the topic.

Geez man, relax. He was only giving an opinion and, unlike you, gave examples of batteries that can be safely used in a mech mod.

So why don't you give us examples of protected batteries that you recommend for mech mods?
I'm sure this discussion can go on without anyone losing their temper and start swearing, right?

Jeez dude

What I was pointing out is that cells with protection on board, those little circuit boards on the positive end which I presume you are referring to when you say "protected cell" are generally ICR chemistry batteries and that protection is there because when they go wrong they go wrong badly. IMR/INR is much safer chemistry and its very hard to to get them to vent unless its a straight short for a few seconds. ICR's are known to blow up in torches and thats not nearly as much abuse as a vaper will put them through. So the safer cell is an IMR ans they do not have little protection circuits, don't need them.

I would much rather tell the person not to use their setup with an unsafe battery at all, than suggesting a cheap "protected" battery. Some of the cheap "protected" cells protection circuit don't even work. Tell them save up and get a decent battery or blow your hand off. No if you want to play with a mech use the correct cell.
Even these high powered regulated mods recommend High drain IMR.

I can NOT in good conscience back you up saying "its fine use protected cells if you have to on a mech"

I never bashed you on the forum and I didn't troll so I have no clue why you so angry at me. I just can't bear the thought of a noob reading your post and going out to buy a cheap protected cell for his mech because that could end in tears.

If you think I'm being a douche I'm sorry but I'm just sharing knowledge passed on to me by fellow vapors, lots of research and experience.

Jeez dude

What I was pointing out is that cells with protection on board, those little circuit boards on the positive end which I presume you are referring to when you say "protected cell" are generally ICR chemistry batteries and that protection is there because when they go wrong they go wrong badly. IMR/INR is much safer chemistry and its very hard to to get them to vent unless its a straight short for a few seconds. ICR's are known to blow up in torches and thats not nearly as much abuse as a vaper will put them through. So the safer cell is an IMR ans they do not have little protection circuits, don't need them.

I would much rather tell the person not to use their setup with an unsafe battery at all, than suggesting a cheap "protected" battery. Some of the cheap "protected" cells protection circuit don't even work. Tell them save up and get a decent battery or blow your hand off. No if you want to play with a mech use the correct cell.
Even these high powered regulated mods recommend High drain IMR.

I can NOT in good conscience back you up saying "its fine use protected cells if you have to on a mech"

I never bashed you on the forum and I didn't troll so I have no clue why you so angry at me. I just can't bear the thought of a noob reading your post and going out to buy a cheap protected cell for his mech because that could end in tears.

If you think I'm being a douche I'm sorry but I'm just sharing knowledge passed on to me by fellow vapors, lots of research and experience.
He clearly doesn't know that you're a master electrical engineer for eskom and you can shut his power off at any time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read this , re read it, read it again . And it still seems like you have your facts confused .

I did mention that I do not suggest buying cheap batteries...and did not ask you to back post...nor do I think that the word I dear not speak was really swearing badly...and I am not angry with you mate but read what the post is about...its not to say go buy bad batteries...it merely states that people should read descriptions mainly I never said back me or go buy it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

But I do see some of you guys are trying to get me ticked off...so I'm gonna ignore your comments.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

not tick you off just lighten the mood , there is enough hostility and anger in this country. LEts all just get along. If we have a misundersanding or disagreement talk about it in a civil manner wihout being hostile. If we cannot have this then there is little hope left for us all.

Hey guys, a bud of mine bought a steampunk mod with subtank and using a Aspire battery had some bad luck. All seem to be fairly nice equipment and seeing that he was using an OCC coil and still vaped on it afterwards the coil seems to be fine. I suspect this was a result of over charging with a cheap charger. Anyway after his 3rd hit flames came blasting out of the gaps between the two steam punk wooden halfs. After he chucked it....massive flames...even with reliable equipment, make sure ur mechs have sufficient venting.

Happy Clouding

Attachments

• Venting Result.jpg
    Venting Result.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Vented Aspire.jpg
    Vented Aspire.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 44
This is the additional gaps the flames made...lol

Attachments

• Steam punk.jpg
    Steam punk.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 40
so that is basically what happened to me with my paragon mod.
Moral of the story... do not use commercial coils on Mechs.

so that is basically what happened to me with my paragon mod.
Moral of the story... do not use commercial coils on Mechs.

Mmmmm......I don't understand this tatement. Could you please elaborate why not to use commercial coils on a mech mod?

I don't think it has anything to do with commercial coils...he is still using that coil, on that tank, and that mod, I think you should check your batteries regularly to make sure that your charger doesn't over charge them. Not sure which charger he was using, but pretty sure it's not a decent one.

Mmmmm......I don't understand this tatement. Could you please elaborate why not to use commercial coils on a mech mod?

My Bad, allow me to rephrase.
Commercial tanks that use pre-built coils are a bit of a hit and miss. With "My" subtank, for example, the centre pin almost sits flush with the positive/negative parts of the atty, and that could cause some issues. Also, commercial coils are not always built to the same quality standard (i remember last year with the Kanger auerotank coils, 2 out of 5 would not fire). so there is that extra potential point of failure.

I learnt a lot from my experience, and the information captured in this thread helped me a lot:

http://www.ecigssa.co.za/my-mod-just-exploded-fire.t12222/page-3

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Back