More Coil Wars - Subtank-only coils compared

Initially, I hated the Subtank and most Sub-Ohm tanks and have generally favoured RTA's and RDA's (probably why I only own 3 ST minis and a nano!). Then their coils improved slightly in V2, then I got 2 Trinity caps which I love and they made me want to vape on the STM again. Because the Trinity's are so pretty, comfortable, and I'm convinced improve flavour, I resisted buying the Target (and Dolphin and all the other Ceramics) in order to wait for STM ceramics.
For the past 4 days I've been having my own little Subtank Coil war. I'm testing:
  • New Kanger stock SSOCC, 0.5ohm with the 3 airholes. Note, the SS in these only refers to the housing. The coil is Kanthal (red orings - their ss coils have pink orings and aren't available locally yet to my knowledge)
  • New Kanger stock SSOCC Clapton Coil, 0.5ohm
  • Atom GCeramic for STM, 0.9ohm
  • Atom GClapton for STM, 0.3ohm
  • Unfortunately, I don't yet have Kanger's Ceramic coil or any other Ceramic to compare
Kanger Stock SSOCC, 0.5Ohm
I'm impressed. The flavour is very good - better than I was expecting. The extra wicking hole is working because it's doing well with chain vaping 80%VG juices (the test for all of the coils), and compared to the last version of this I have (with 2 wicking holes) the flavour seems more saturated. Vapour production as per any stock 0.5ohm coil from Kanger. The negative for me is longevity. Granted, it's much better than the first version of their stock coil, but it's nothing like the ceramics I'm hearing about. Depending on usage, I give these coils 3-4 (5 with a stretch), days of moderate vaping. It's not a gradual decrease in quality - it's more like it's working like new, then it's not, and you suddenly start getting a small amount of "after-burn" and cotton mouth (not dry hits though - change coil before then). Btw, I HATE after-burn/sizzle

Kanger SSOCC Clapton, 0.5Ohm
Quick and easy priming, these pack a bigger punch than the stock coils even at the same 0.5ohm rating. I find mod readings on the stock coils always quite a bit higher than 0.5 (sometimes even north of 0.7 ohms as I've been able to use a few "0.5ohm" SSOCC on a Provari which is extremely accurate and doesn't fire under 0.7) - but the Claptons are closer to 0.55ohms, and I haven't had one above 0.6.
I'm getting ALOT of throat hit from these. That is the thing that stands out so far. Good for some, but for me t's a little much, being so used to a gentle 3mg or less. I'd put my head on a block that I was vaping 6mg if I didn't know better. Flavour - I honestly don't get any improved flavour from their stock coil. About equal - which is pretty damned good. They just hit harder than stock and you can push more power through them

Atom GCeramic, 0.9Ohm
I'm only on day 2. This is a very different experience. My better half, who coughs up a lung every time she puffs on anything I vape other than a MTL Reo/Cyclone, can only really do her Nautilus mini, MTL. I have been trying to upgrade her gear for ages. And now, I can finally replace the Nautilus with a toptank nano. She's enjoying this coil a lot. I can see how some might think it doesn't work or performs very poorly, but once I wrapped my head around this being something different, I started enjoying the coil. Flavour - I don't know how so many people are saying they are getting no flavour. I put in a juice that I know and like a lot (DripTheHype French Toast Crunch). The flavour, for me, has been very good, especially at 30W. I drip this liquid and have it running in a Reo/Cyclone as well. I primed the old-school way - juice into the wicking holes, a few drops into the coil, but I waited a good 4 hours before I vaped it, at a low 20W initially. Meh. Whispy vapour and almost non-functional. There was something odd in taste at the beginning too. Not disgusting, just a light "something funny" going on. That stopped after about 2ml of liquid. There is no throat hit whatsoever. It's quite silent. It has a ramp-up time. A good couple of seconds if its cold. When you can hear the coil, start vaping. Now, it's a suitable MTL coil for me, but I'm actually, at least partially, lung hitting at 30w. A super slow, long, gentle draw produces decent vapour. Less than the other coils in the list, but more than you think after the draw because it's so damn gentle/smooth. Looooong slow draws are really working for me with this coil. If you are a RM2 or Cyclone fan, this is worth testing. I've only tried 2 coils so far, but both seem to perform the same. I vape in my office, but I don't blow clouds at work by any means. That's just rude. This coil is a good choice for me to take with my Reo's to the office as it's stealthy, silent, and modest on vapour production. But I must say, I'm getting good flavour. It really does surprise me to see so many getting no flavour and it suggests inconsistency in the coils - I just don't see how someone could be vaping the same thing I am, and not getting flavour. When I left it overnight (last night) I found it to be performing better the next day (today). The vape is not cool any more, but slightly warmer. Vapour production is respectable - better than yesterday. Wicking - when chain-vaping, I sense that it's struggling a bit to keep up (80%VG) and have sucked-with-closed-airholes twice today to avoid dry hits. As long as longevity is good, I see myself buying these again, if anything to use my Trinity's and maybe even the Provari which has been shelved for so long. And also for HRH's new top tank nano! Although, at 20W, I don't think that's enough. At least 25 is required but like I said, I'm settled on 30w with these guys. Longevity - we'll wait and see. I'll report back.

Atom GClapton, 0.3Ohm
For me, by far the most disappointing of the bunch. I've tried 2 - both gave me the same issues. After-burn/sizzle from word "Go", and I find myself constantly closing the air holes and sucking, in fear of the dry-hit looming. Taste-wise - I can taste my juice, but the vape has been, well, "cottony". The stock SSOCC has been running in tandem with this coil a lot, and there's just no comparison in the flavour department, with the stock coil smashing this GClapton. The SSOCC clapton has also performed better imo, although I don't really see any reason to re-purchase those either. I probably had the highest hopes for these ones, maybe that's why I'm extra disappointed in them, but very happy I didn't commit to buying them in numbers before trying out one or two first. Longevity - well, didn't like them from the first day so I don't really know. I gave them about 4 days each of testing I'd say, then I stopped using them. But the performance was about the same - no better or worse after 4 days. I'd guess that longevity is better than the stock SSOCC.

Verdict
Coils aren't quite as subjective as juices. We can't possibly be having such radically different experiences, whether GCeramics, GClaptons, Target... There must be inconsistencies between coils, at least to a certain degree.
For me, the two I will repurchase are the New SSOCC Stock coils with 3 wicking holes, and the Ceramics (provided longevity is good) - which also have their place in my vaping habits and routine. The Kanger Claptons aren't bad at all - but maybe I'll prefer these when I eventually switch to zero nic because I'm not loving the extra throat hit on 3mg juices.
Ceramics - I'll definitely be trying more. The Kanger Ceramics for sure, and I'll probably cave and get a Target as well, unless something newer, shinier and better comes up before I pull the trigger on that. I'm just waiting for a B&M in CT to get stock

Awesome post @KB_314
Thank you for taking the time to test and document your findings so well

A question from me - how do these commercial coils compare with a simple single custom coil in the RBA base for the Subtank Mini?

The reason I ask is that i was not impressed with the original commercial coils that came with my Subtank Mini when I got it several months back. So I have been using the RBA base with good effect but am wondering how these "newer" commercial coils would compare?

PS - Nautilus Mini is a resilient device - my mom still uses hers regularly

Awesome post @KB_314

A question from me - how do these commercial coils compare with a simple single custom coil in the RBA base for the Subtank Mini?

The reason I ask is that i was not impressed with the original commercial coils that came with my Subtank Mini when I got it several months back. So I have been using the RBA base with good effect but am wondering how these "newer" commercial coils would compare?

Hey @Silver, I am by no means any sort of authority on this subject, but have been going the rebuilding route with sub tank mini for a couple of months or so, and have not used any Kanger commercial coils in that time. Have passed on stock coils to my son, and to be honest I prefer using RBA section, on the grounds that it works equally as well (if not better) than pre built alternatives, saves a great deal of money, and enables self sufficiency as I am a long way from any vendors. I do however have a back up plan with some Atom gClaptons which in my opinion are superior to Kangertech coils, but still prefer 26g kantal single coil build @0.5 ohms to any commercial coil I have used so far. Interested to hear from the rest of the chaps on this subject.

Awesome post @KB_314

I've struggled in the past even with the V2 RBA. Had the odd successful build, but I preferred the vape from RTA's and boxed the stm rba.
I'm really impressed with the new coils and personally get better flavour than the RBA, K4 or Monster 2 ever produced (with Kanthal micro-coil builds anyway). Saturated flavour. I'd definitely recommend trying a couple. Both the SSOCC 0.5ohm, and the SSOCC Clapton 0.5ohm give great flavour. I'm going to use them for week-time laziness for a while, alongside the Reo/Cyclone workhorses. But be sure to get the newest version with that third wicking hole. And the SS316 ones should be here soon too. I just threw away a coil after 5 days of good use, with good flavour till the end. That's not great and isn't really viable full-time. But the original coils lasted me one day - after the first night they were performing poorly. Give them a bash with your next order of something. No doubt you'll notice a big improvement

Thanks @Neal and @KB_314
Much appreciated

@KB_314 i will pick up a coil or two and test it out

Have been having great mindless vaping with a simple 1.1 ohm 28g single 2mm ID at about 12-15 Watts with higher nic - for several months. Flavour is decent and am getting about 20ml before needing to rewick with Rayon for fruity menthols. 50/50

Hey @Silver, I am by no means any sort of authority on this subject, but have been going the rebuilding route with sub tank mini for a couple of months or so, and have not used any Kanger commercial coils in that time. Have passed on stock coils to my son, and to be honest I prefer using RBA section, on the grounds that it works equally as well (if not better) than pre built alternatives, saves a great deal of money, and enables self sufficiency as I am a long way from any vendors. I do however have a back up plan with some Atom gClaptons which in my opinion are superior to Kangertech coils, but still prefer 26g kantal single coil build @0.5 ohms to any commercial coil I have used so far. Interested to hear from the rest of the chaps on this subject.
Nothing like your favourite build on a trusted RBA! And definitely much easier on the pocket. All-in-all, by far the best way to fly.
Where the commercial coils might plug in for me, or rather why - is because of laziness after those long days at work when I just can't be bothered and even re-wicking feels tiresome. Atm I'm a bit giddy with all these Trinities and new coil types etc. But I see these in a way, like fast-food. Once in a blue moon indulgences :)

Thanks @Neal and @KB_314
Much appreciated

@KB_314 i will pick up a coil or two and test it out

Have been having great mindless vaping with a simple 1.1 ohm 28g single 2mm ID at about 12-15 Watts with higher nic - for several months. Flavour is decent and am getting about 20ml before needing to rewick with Rayon for fruity menthols. 50/50
Can't go wrong with that either! Busardo reckons that this should be the year of exactly what you described! Gathering our senses and re-evaluating a bit. Now seeing 300w mods about :eek:

OK the Ceramic Coil wars continue! I found another source of ceramic coils on Kidney Puncher... Smowell NTBVC Subtank Ceramic Coils! They are on their way!
Smowell.jpg Smowell1.jpg

OK the Ceramic Coil wars continue! I found another source of ceramic coils on Kidney Puncher... Smowell NTBVC Subtank Ceramic Coils! They are on their way!
View attachment 49569 View attachment 49570
Excellent!
Sadly, I have given up on the GCeramics completely.
My third and last GClapton performed well... until today, day 3 - cottony as hell and I suddenly remembered the kakness of cotton-mouth and how tiresome it is having to fight a tank to avoid it.
Must say, the Kanger 0.5 Clapton is still going strong. Flavour is still saturated/intense, I put the coil in last Wednesday night, let's see if it lasts a week.
@Rob Fisher - not trying to be an enabler, or anything :rolleyes: but apparently this is the ceramic and tank that the cool cats are using...

Looks like it has potential... the biggest fail is it's a 2ml tank with ceramic so that is just stupid! But I NEED one! Gonna go see if they are for sale somewhere! :p

Back