New studies find carcinogens in vg and pg at high temps

piffht

Quintessence Unfurls
LV

Awards
Via https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...-at-high-temps-even-in-tootle-puffers.791711/

Interesting commentary throughout the thread. As per usual, take the results with a solid chunk of salt. The truth is likely somewhere in between.

Use temp control and dont go above 450Fish if you want to minimize exposure.

OK, they published this data publicly now about the spike of formaldehyde and Acetaldehyde (both carcinogens) spiking way up past safe levels starting around 470F-480F.

Temperature Control is IMPORTANT folks!

Start about 6 minutes in:

This is VG, carcinogens start rising around 410F

Thanks for this @piffhighwaytraveller

I dont use temp control but for those who do, what temps do you normally vape at?

I don't think I ever went past 450°F back when I used to use Temperature Control

Thanks @daniel craig
450 def F converts to about 232 degrees Celcius

From the charts above, it seems that up to 200 degrees Celcius seems okay

Interesting information.

Scrolling through the forum discussion in the link you posted this is a quick summary of what I've read.

- CE4 devices like an EVOD are higher carcinogen producers

- 3rd gen like a Subtank Mini have 0.1% of emmissions compared to CE4 atomizers.

- 3rd gen Subtank Mini only <1% emmissions compared to Cigarette

- CE4 coils are made from very thin wire which heat up and burn quickly.

- carcinogen comparison to cigarettes measured only Formaldehyde and Acetaldehyde

- FDA will require PMTA device applications to have built in TC protection automatically.

Interesting information.

Scrolling through the forum discussion in the link you posted this is a quick summary of what I've read.

- CE4 devices like an EVOD are higher carcinogen producers

- 3rd gen like a Subtank Mini have 0.1% of emmissions compared to CE4 atomizers.

- 3rd gen Subtank Mini only <1% emmissions compared to Cigarette

- CE4 coils are made from very thin wire which heat up and burn quickly.

- carcinogen comparison to cigarettes measured only Formaldehyde and Acetaldehyde

- FDA will require PMTA device applications to have built in TC protection automatically.

Thanks @stevie g
I am in trouble now with my Evod :eek::eek:
And i thought it was mild and nowhere near the temps of some of the bigger vicious rigs
Now i need a thermometer probe.... :rolleyes:

Not always, thats the "middle ground" logical fallacy.
View attachment 100737

Agree, but in this case it does.

CE4 types have virtually no airflow and give the worst-case scenario results. Generally, kit has been moving in the opposite direction, so it's simply not accurate to assume every hit over 200c, in every atty, spikes carcinogens - at least as drastically as in the graph. @stevie g summarised some of those points quite nicely.

That said, there are of course more factors to take into account: build, coil placement, wicking, etc

Hm interesting. Using kanthal and/or Ni80 I can't really use TC.. will have to consider getting some SS for that I guess.

Back