Silver

Flavour and throat hit seeker
Staff member
Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
I have noticed several folk use the term Nichrome when describing what wire they use.
And then there is NI80 wire (the one with the fast ramp up)

I want to know what is the difference and are they the same?

I recall in the early part of my journey there was Nichrome wire from eCiggies. We were mainly using Kanthal then. Nichrome was said to have a "tinny" taste for some.

Surely this NI80 wire is not the same as the "previous Nichrome wire" from way back?

Am I misunderstanding something?

PS - for the record, the NI80 wire has no tinny taste for me. Tastes fine.

Its is the same thing, NI80 refers to a specific type of nichrome. The 80 refers to the % nickel in the wire. You also get NI60

Same thing as far as I know, @Silver. NI80 is NiChrome (Nickel 80 %, Chromium 20 %). NI200 is pure Nickel.

Thanks @Andre -

but remember that so called "tinny tasting" Nichrome in the old days from eCiggies (i recall they stocked it)

Surely that wasnt the Nickel 80% Chromium 20% as per the NI80 ?

I always thought that Nichrome may have been more Chromium then...

Ah well, interesting

Same as the way back when version, not sure what the ni/cr mix was back then though. By the time I got into vaping Kanthal A1 was already mainstream and the wire of choice.

I suspect it's the advent of hi powered regulated mods that lead to NiChrome's resurgence since its resistance is lower than Kanthal for the same surface area.

Thanks @Andre -

but remember that so called "tinny tasting" Nichrome in the old days from eCiggies (i recall they stocked it)

Surely that wasnt the Nickel 80% Chromium 20% as per the NI80 ?

I always thought that Nichrome may have been more Chromium then...

Ah well, interesting

If I remember correctly they stocked NI60

Thanks guys
You make a good point about the resurgence now given the higher powered gear @JakesSA

Thats why i am keeping my bamboo yarn wick just in case something else changes
Hehe

Nichrome: N20, N40, N60, N70 & N80
Nickel: Ni200TCR & Ni200TFR
Nickel Iron: NiFe, NiFeR, NiFeSV

Thanks guys
You make a good point about the resurgence now given the higher powered gear @JakesSA

Thats why i am keeping my bamboo yarn wick just in case something else changes
Hehe
Lol, I still have 2 rolls of those too.

Back