Private V2, 20000km Roadtest, Pic Heavy

Xhale

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
IMG_20140509_094804.jpg
This item I bought October 2013 from ft item #1429500, mine was the first batch shipped out. This isnt strictly a review, more of a long term roadtest, with pictures.

Lets get the bad points out the way first
1) (immaterial now) my topcap was delivered with 510 threads that were too loose, ft resolved by sending me a replacement cap, later batches dont have this problem
2) the switch worked loose every two days, Vern resolved by modding with a piece of sponge
3) The brass extension tubes need some care, due to the thinness of the walls by the threads. Replacement tubes are available at ft should you have troubles, and they are cheap, so if you buy this mod, add some tubes while you are there, if you have this mod already (and the tubes are the same), go get some replacement tubes. item #1565102 @ $2.50 each (you will need two for the mod)
4) the copper lower ring is plated, and will wear off with polishing
5) the floating pin didnt float as supplied, but that was a minute or two on a dremel to polish it a bit and now it floats admirably.

Just a note on 3 above, my tubes are the originals, I have spares in the drawer but have looked after my mod so they are just "in case". If you have perpetual bad luck throughout your life, and everything you own drops all by itself onto the floors etc, then buy some tubes as you will probably need them

Bad points out the way:)

In looks, this is an extremely handsome mod. I know telescoping mods may not be to everyones taste, but this item has a nice amount of flair, colour contrasts and grooving to keep your eye busy and interested in the looks. Personally, nobody I have shown it to disagrees.

*sigh* I have to mention the tubes again..when you tighten this mod up it puts stress on the tubes (any telescoping mod does) but these brass tubes, which are inside threaded, have thin walls and the threading will unravel like spaghetti. There is no need to tighten this up to 85nm with a wheelspanner technique. It WILL break.

The switch as supplied was ok-to-good, but undid itself twice per day, falling onto the floor in bits. Once outside a shopping centre. Sacrilege. Take the bottom firing pin, and stick some small sponge in there, then tighten it back up. You will have to play with how much sponge exactly. There is no S.I. unit for measuring squished up sponge pieces. See the next pic, zoom in, you can see my bit of sponge stuck inside the bottom pin.
Not only will this stop the switch unscrewing, but it changed from "good" to "one of the best ever". I have categorically never had a misfire with this device. To be honest, I dont know if I am still on the original spring. It fell out a few times, I rescued it from under various places, and it was a number of months ago. Assume it is, because it looks to be. The actuating pressure on the switch is minimal now, I can almost fire the mod using telepathy. Of course, it will fire if unlocked and stood upright. The locking ring is reverse threaded.
IMG_20140509_094150.jpg

So, how has it held up to all the km's I have put on this baby?
Here's some photos showing the wear and tear aspect. The bottom firing pin plating has worn off, or maybe I sanded it (again, cant remember)..the tubes have got extreme shiny spots from holding/screwing/polishing but thats just "houding":) character. The copper lower ring is now a combo brass/copper ring (plating has worn off, again from usage/polishing), the button engraving is dim/shallow/worn off from usage/polishing (its brass...brass does that) but apart from that, my initial investment has held its value well, and is still as functional (if not more) than the day I bought it. It is a well-used mod that has stood by me, is super easy to change batteries, go from one size to another, swop atties..no adjustment is needed besides unscrewing the tubes and sticking in another battery. A low-faff mod, that'll still fire nicely even when dirty as hell. I didnt specifically clean it for these pictures, so excuse any grime you see, but I did wipe it with paper towels so you can see where it has worn shiny etc.

Small amount of wear on topcap from whatever atty decided to make it, visible on the outer ring, threads are 100% though
IMG_20140509_094522.jpg

What was once an amazing colour changing locking ring has now had the copper plating worn off on the outer part
IMG_20140509_094615.jpg

The button logo is totally smooth, but still visible. Cant see it if the mod gets really dirty
IMG_20140509_094552.jpg

The all important tubes, you can see how the polishing has had its toll on them (much shinier/smoother at the top), and if you check near the top you can almost see the inside threads, from the outside. But they have held up fine as I am aware of this, and careful, and dont over-tighten. This is the mod's weakspot though
IMG_20140509_094657.jpg

See, not once did I say it hits like a train, or was sick as tits.:)

If I lost this one, I would be upset. It has built some character with me, and we have been places together.
me :h: Pv2
IMG_20140509_094359.jpg
Addendum: this is an "old" mod, newer cheaper and maybe more features are available now (adjsutable pins, kick tubes, adjustable airflow). This was my first mech mod though, I have sold and bought many since, but this one stays.

I think you'll find that it's 'square pants' :p
ok..it took me a minute or so, but now I'm laughing. nice one
ok, depending on the size of your tv, its about a "quarter spongebob" that you stick into the hole

Back