Staff member
Administrator
VIP
FINES MASTER
LV

Awards
This is the Red Sky Cruiser Model

RedSky5.jpg

I was getting frustrated trying to buy a Woodvil and found this Wood Mod made by an ex-REO fan that I guess was also getting frustrated…

They are made from exotic woods and the craftsmanship is outstanding… no rough surfaces at all… inside and out… it’s a 3,7 Volt bottom fed PV with a 6 amp current limit. It’s rated at 200k cycles (if anyone even knows what that means). It takes a 18650 Battery and has a 6ml juice bottle.

It works the same way to the Woodvil’s but I think this is a pure Mech Mod in that the button I think is not electronic (but I stand to be corrected). The battery is put in upside down. The door is held on my two earth magnets and is not a slide like the Woodvil. There is no on/off switch (well one that I have found) like the Woodvil has. It not as wide or as fat as the Woodvil but is slightly taller.

RedSky 017.JPG

I am using a Reomiser (Brass) on it and it’s performing beautifully and is just like having a REO. I have a ReadyXwick wick in the coil but will change it a bit later to cotton because I think I prefer cotton.

RedSky 018.JPG

This is my initial impression and I will come back and do an update once I have used her for a while... but so far I'm very happy with it!

Thanks. That really is a sleek mod. I like it tooooo much. @johan, can you confirm that it is purely mechanical by looking at the pictures? If it has an amp limit, there must be something electronic there - wiring?

Thanks. That really is a sleek mod. I like it tooooo much. @johan, can you confirm that it is purely mechanical by looking at the pictures? If it has an amp limit, there must be something electronic there - wiring?

Nothing electronic Andre, thus pure mechanical. The protection same as on Metal Reos, being a collapsable spring on the battery negative side. The "internal" switch at the bottom is like a "lock / unlock" to prevent accidental firing. The only wiring is from: (1) bottom spring to "lock/unlock switch, then from lock/unlock switch to outerside of 510 connector and (2) from positive terminal to Firing switch and from Firing switch to centre pin of 510 connector.

purely mechanical mods do not have electronic switches, so both the red sky and the woodville are not purely mehanical mods

purely mechanical mods do not have electronic switches, so both the red sky and the woodville are not purely mehanical mods

Sorry, but there is no electronic switch in there, only 2 mechanical switches; the bottom mechanical slide switch for lock and unlock. and a mechanical momentary (normally open) firing switch.

That is how I also understood re the Reo Woodvil. And that being the reason they say one should not go lower than 0.8 ohm on the Woodvil. And that why Rob has said he is going to build a mechanical woodvil.
However, I am more than prepared to accept @johan's expertise that the switch is not electronic in nature. The switch/wiring does seem though to bring some limitation to the mod?

Last edited:
The material used and the thickness of said material limits the max current that piece can handle before melting into goo ;) in these mechanical mods the weakest piece is the collapsable spring, rather the spring melts then anything else :D

That is how I also understood re the Reo Woodvil. And that being the reason they say one should not go lower than 0.8 ohm on the Woodvil. And that why Rob has said he is going to build a mechanical woodvil.
However, I am more than prepared to accept @johan's expertise that the switch is not electronic in nature. The switch does seem though to bring some limitation to the mod?

I agree Andre, the limitations (current capability) are in the 2 mechanical switches.

wowza, learning new things here today. ok so you can get mechanical momentary switches.
dankie oom johan, het iets nuuts vir vandag geleer :)

@johan's words made me google the switch too :) Have seen them before but never knew their name, ecigssa increases the IQ

@Rob Fisher

I've been looking around the net for Wooden box mods and came across these beauties called LUKKOS.

Don't know if you've seen them yet.

Seems like the Italians do have a thing for box mods and like the Reo woodville they are all sold out.

Not cheap either going for 150 - 250 Euro

The site is Dot-mod.com

They also have SVA wooden mods.

Lukkos_FB_grande.jpg Lukkos_BB_grande.jpg PuzzleBox_117-F_a7836ca2-a797-4eef-bc7b-b09ef95f51da_grande.jpg PuzzleBox_117-B_caafff98-4b8e-42f7-8433-635d68625c82_grande.jpg

They look awesome! I'll take a look... normally italian web sites are un-useable!

Again all sold out. :-@

Someone in SA is gonna build something similar one day and make a killing!

Back