SMOK OSUB King (Starter Kit For Beginners)

daniel craig

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
The SMOK team keeps striving to design the most futuristic looking mods that boasts ergonomics, aesthetics and power whilst being user friendly. 2017 seems to be the year for SMOK who seem to never take a break and keep releasing new and intriguing designs to suit everyone’s taste. The SMOK OSUB King is the newest mod in the OSUB lineup, offering up to 220 watts of power from a dual 18650 battery configuration. This mod is nearly identical to its predecessor, the OSUB Plus. The main differences being that the OSUB Plus only did 80 Watts and had an internal 3300 mAh battery. The OSUB Plus was a great starter kit mainly because it included everything you needed to start vaping. The King is no different!

01.jpg

Here are the specs for this mod:
  • Dimensions: 44 * 30 * 85mm
  • Wattage Range: 6w – 220w
  • Temperature Range: 200°F – 600°F / 100°C – 315°C
  • Voltage Range: 0.35 V – 8 V
  • Resistance Range: 0.1Ω – 3.0Ω (VW Mode) / 0.06Ω – 3.0Ω (TC Mode)
  • Compatible TC Wires: Ni200 | Titanium | Stainless Steel
  • Large OLED Display
  • Individual Battery Level Display
  • Micro USB Port (For Charging & Upgrading)
  • Ergonomic Design
  • Lateral Fire Trigger
  • Spring Loaded 510 Pin
  • Requires (2) 18650 Batteries (Not Included)
  • Sliding Battery Door
  • Firmware Upgradeable
Features:
  • 6 to 220W Power Output
    • 0.1 to 3.0 ohm Atomizer Resistance Range
    • 0.8V to 9V Output Range
    • Firmware Upgradeable
    • Five Output Mode Settings
      • Min
      • Soft
      • Norm
      • Hard
      • Max
  • Temperature Control Output
    • Ni200 Nickel Support
    • Titanium Support
    • Stainless Steel Support
    • TCR Adjustment
  • Adjustable Temperature Coefficient of Resistance of Heating Elements
    • 0.06 ohm to 3.0 ohm Atomizer Resistance Range
    • 200 to 600 degree Fahrenheit Output Range
  • OLED Screen
    • Four Line Display
    • Output Mode
    • Output Wattage/Temperature
    • Output Voltage
    • Puff Counter
    • Atomizer Resistance
    • Backlight Setting
  • Sliding and Locking Bottom Battery Access Door
    • Dual High Amperage 18650 (required)
  • Micro USB Charge and Upgrade Port
  • Stainless Steel 510 Thread Point
    • Magnetic Spring Loaded Gold Plated Contact
  • Ergonomic Control Face
    • Bar Firing System
      • Comfortable and Easy to Use
    • Side Mounted Adjustment Buttons
  • Zinc Alloy Chassis
  • Intelligent Atomizer Recognition/Puff Monitoring System/12 Second Cut-Off/Short Circuit Protection/Overheating Protection/Low Battery Warning
What’s in the box:
  • SMOK OSUB King 220W TC Box Mod
  • SMOK TFV8 Big Baby Beast Sub-Ohm Tank
  • TFV8 Baby Q2 0.4 ohm Coil Head
  • TFV8 Baby T8 0.15 ohm Coil Head
  • Spare Parts Pack
  • User Manual
Packaging:
The OSUB King comes packaged in standard SMOK packaging. Upon opening the box you are greeted by this glorious looking mod. SMOK includes their TFV8 Big Baby Beast with this kit which is a really nice Sub-ohm tank for this kit however I think SMOK should have included their new TFV8 X Baby Beast tank seeing that this is one of their latest offerings. Along with the mod and tank you get a spare glass and a bag of spares and coils.

02.jpg

Design:
The OSUB King, like its predecessor, are stunning looking mods. I can definitely imagine why SMOK would go back to this design. The design makes this mod really comfortable to hold and use as a daily driver. The OSUB King seems to have a beautiful glossy finish to it which doesn't seem to be peeling off. I've been using it for about 3 weeks now with no sign off peeling at all.

Judging by the weight, it’s a tad bit heavier than the Alien mod whilst being shorter and wider. I don’t mind the extra weight because in my opinion, it makes this mod feel really solid. SMOK has really upped their game with the quality of their devices. It seems that with each new release from them, the quality just keeps getting better and better. The OSUB King is proof of this.

The positioning of the firing button is on the side of the mod and fires by squeezing it. The firing button is really nice and clicky which is a definite win in my books and it seems to have a shorter throw compared to their previous releases.

Although they have improved the firing button, I feel that the adjustment buttons could have been done better. They don’t seem to be as firm or solid like the firing button.

The OSUB King adopts a similar battery door system to that of the T-Priv which comes with a battery cover which has a hinge. It is a nice solid battery door which will give you no issues at all when removing or inserting batteries.

After using this device daily for a few weeks, the paint work seems to be holding up fine and the performance has been nothing short of excellent. I believe that the chip used in this device is the same as SMOK’s other mods and therefore the performance is just as good. There’s no firing delays or under-power issues. This device hasn’t skipped a beat or misfired since I’ve started using it which is a good sign. The three ‘Strength’ settings make incremental differences in the wattage and response time which is kind of similar to a pre-heat function, but the default setting is good enough. I have found this device to have a quick ramp-up time and almost no lag between button presses and firing.

The interface on the OSUB is similar to that of other SMOK mods. It’s an extremely simple and user-friendly interface that takes less than 2 minutes to master which makes it very easy for a newbie vaper to use. The screen isn’t as large as SMOK’s other mods but the text is clear and clearly visible.

Most of today’s tanks will fit on the OSUB without issues. If you go larger than 25mm diameter you will be getting some overhang.

The OSUB King offers 5 options in the menu:

1. Mode – Here you have ‘WATT’ mode which allows you customize the strength. This is something similar to the pre-heat function in the previous SMOK devices and helps with the ramp up time. You can set it to Min, Soft, Normal, Hard, Max.

‘Temp’ mode is the temperature control mode which works pretty much similar to other mods. You can set your preferred wattage, wire type (Ni, Ti, SS) and the TCR value for your wire type.

2. Puffs – Allows you to set a puff limit if you wish to do so or view the number of puffs you have taken.

3. Settings – Here you have:

‘Stealth’ - This allows you to enable stealth mode or disable it.

‘Contrast’ - allows you set the screen brightness (10%-100%).

‘Screen’ - lets you change your screen orientation.

4. ‘Adj Ohm’ enables you to adjust the resistance of your coil by a few decimals.

5. Power – Switch off the mod.

Temp Control works with all the usual wire types: Nickel, Titanium, and Stainless Steel and TCR values for each wire type are user-adjustable.

The battery life is as great as any other dual battery mod. So far I’ve been using this mod daily and vaping at 50w. My battery lasts me about a day and a half or longer using LG Chocs. This is subjective as it depends on how much you vape, the batteries used, wattage etc.

The tank that comes with this kit is the SMOK TFV8 Big Baby Beast which I am sure most of you are familiar with by now. SMOK’s TFV8 series seems to be the most popular sub-ohm tank on the market today and that’s because it works well! It has great flavor and vapor production. The kit does not come with an RBA for the tank however it can be purchased. The tank holds 5ml of juice. It comes with two coils (0.4ohm Dual Coil (Pre-Installed) and 0.15ohm Octuple coil). Paired with the device, this setup looks really nice. If you're wanting better flavor, I would highly recommend that you look at getting into RTA's or RDA's.

03.jpg

Conclusion:
This is another great kit from SMOK. For anyone looking for an All-in-One kit, this is definitely one to consider. The price point makes it very affordable considering it comes with a tank as well. For those of you who already have a high powered device, I don’t think that this mod has anything that makes you want to go out and buy it. The OSUB King is aimed towards new vapers. As a starter kit, it's excellent! The biggest con for this device has got to be those adjustment buttons and small screen. Other than those cons, there isn't much wrong with the device. In the starter kit category, I would rate this kit highly. It has all the features you would want and this interface is extremely simple to use. The OSUB King does what it's made to do and it does it pretty well.
(PS: I will attach better pictures soon)

Back