Some "noob" questions and advice needed

Viper_SA

https://www.tiktok.com/@tinus_viper?lang=en
LV

Awards
Hi all,
So I'm not really a noob, but I used to always just throw in a new, simple, round wire coil in my Psyclones every time I rewicked on the old Reos I used to own. Then I went off MTL for a very long time and have now started enjoying it much more again. Now the problem comes with these fancy little coils. I love them, but a screw them up much to easily and often when pit stopping. When removing the old cotton I have mangled quite a few, and especially upset about the White Collar coil I mangled today. I can't seem to snip the old wick, just seems like my scissors won't cut the old wick. I tried dry burning to the point where I might burn it in half, but that also failed. My question then, how do you guys remove the old cotton without messing up them coils. Especially since they aren't cheap.

Then my 2nd question. I bought this little box of MTL coils, but I have no idea which coils are on which side. Has anyone bought something similar that can tell be which is which?

IMG_20210710_145828.jpg

I have received multiple coils from various members when buying stuff 2nd hand, but I want to leave those coils for when I am really in a pinch, and the are still in the boxes the gear came in, so they need some organising. I know everyone jokes about it, but I have severe OCD and anxiety and always want my tanks to run the same exact coils. I can live with one type in my Pioneers and another in my Expromizers, but the specific RTA group must be exactly the same, so I really need to stop mangling coils at pit stops.

Any advice on the above coil set and how to better remove old wick will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

how do you guys remove the old cotton without messing up them coils
I comb the living daylights out of it with a tweezer, so then when I pull it, it comes out quite easily.
[EDIT] I have one of those needle point tweezers that helps a lot when doing this.

Can't help with the coils though as I don't know them all that well, sorry.

I comb the living daylights out of it with a tweezer, so then when I pull it, it comes out quite easily.
[EDIT] I have one of those needle point tweezers that helps a lot when doing this.

Can't help with the coils though as I don't know them all that well, sorry.

Thanks, will try the tweezer thing, as my scissors refuse to cut wet cotton for some reason

When I'm cleaning the tanks I twist one side of the cotton and it compacts itself and then pull from the other side and it comes out fine. I used to cut the one leg of the cotton but found the twist way easier.

When I'm cleaning the tanks I twist one side of the cotton and it compacts itself and then pull from the other side and it comes out fine. I used to cut the one leg of the cotton but found the twist way easier.

I must be doing the twisting thing wrong. I've tried that in some way. Reminds me of that song "Let's twist again"... Maybe you can learn me to properly twist uncle :-D

I must be doing the twisting thing wrong. I've tried that in some way. Reminds me of that song "Let's twist again"... Maybe you can learn me to properly twist uncle :-D

Chubby Checker here... run the wicks under warm to hot running water from the tap then grab the one edge and twist and the wick should collapse and be easy to pull out.

If you have a multimeter you could measure the Ohms of the coils. The one should read higher.

An alternative would be to install one coil and check it on the mod's Ohm readout.

Hi Viper
I find it depends on how thick you make your wicks
If they not too tight I use Robs method above
Otherwise I cut it on one side fairly close to the coil, then pull from the other side
I use my trusty dischem scissors, el cheapo ones but they work beautifully
Have never not been able to cut a wick. Are you using steel for wicks?

If you have a multimeter you could measure the Ohms of the coils. The one should read higher.

An alternative would be to install one coil and check it on the mod's Ohm readout.

Yeah, I have a multimeter. Didn't think of that. Was just hoping it's a popular product and someone would know :--)

Hi Viper
I find it depends on how thick you make your wicks
If they not too tight I use Robs method above
Otherwise I cut it on one side fairly close to the coil, then pull from the other side
I use my trusty dischem scissors, el cheapo ones but they work beautifully
Have never not been able to cut a wick. Are you using steel for wicks?

Maybe I should try a different scissor... Mine cut perfect with dry wick, but seems to not "grip" on wet cotton. Will try a few of the methods mentioned here, thanks

You can also try holding the bottom half of the wick on one side and pulling the top half of the other side, so essentially pulling half of the wick out. I also like to hole my coil with one, or two fingers and then slowly pull the cotton through.

With regard to differentiating between the coils- one is wrapped with 38ga and the other with 40ga. If you compare the two you should be able to identify the thinner from thicker wire. The 40ga will be the thinner wire

Hi all,
So I'm not really a noob, but I used to always just throw in a new, simple, round wire coil in my Psyclones every time I rewicked on the old Reos I used to own. Then I went off MTL for a very long time and have now started enjoying it much more again. Now the problem comes with these fancy little coils. I love them, but a screw them up much to easily and often when pit stopping. When removing the old cotton I have mangled quite a few, and especially upset about the White Collar coil I mangled today. I can't seem to snip the old wick, just seems like my scissors won't cut the old wick. I tried dry burning to the point where I might burn it in half, but that also failed. My question then, how do you guys remove the old cotton without messing up them coils. Especially since they aren't cheap.

Then my 2nd question. I bought this little box of MTL coils, but I have no idea which coils are on which side. Has anyone bought something similar that can tell be which is which?

View attachment 234523

I have received multiple coils from various members when buying stuff 2nd hand, but I want to leave those coils for when I am really in a pinch, and the are still in the boxes the gear came in, so they need some organising. I know everyone jokes about it, but I have severe OCD and anxiety and always want my tanks to run the same exact coils. I can live with one type in my Pioneers and another in my Expromizers, but the specific RTA group must be exactly the same, so I really need to stop mangling coils at pit stops.

Any advice on the above coil set and how to better remove old wick will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Dude, you've been here since 2015! How can you still be a noob? :eek::p

Try ''Vape shears'' there was a G/B in the past and a lot of us bought some, what works as well is. if your wire nippers are good quality - use it to cut the cotton ,cut one side of the cotton and hook your finger nail on the coil, away from the side you are pulling.
upload_2021-7-11_9-30-46.jpeg

Try ''Vape shears'' there was a G/B in the past and a lot of us bought some, what works as well is. if your wire nippers are good quality - use it to cut the cotton ,cut one side of the cotton and hook your finger nail on the coil, away from the side you are pulling.
View attachment 234584

Thanks, might just try the wire clippers next time. Like I said, I have a very decent pair of scissors, but just the wet cotton that is saying "screw you". I used to build with 22ga wire and squonked back in the day, so that wire could withstand anything. Its these new fancy girly coils for MTL that's my nemesis.

71956546-nose-hair-scissors-with-copy-space-high-key-.jpg

I use nose hair scissors, cheap as chips from Dischem but sharp and they have a curved blade that helps sometimes in tight spaces. With clapton coils I tend to cut one side and then use my coiling rod to gently push the cotton out. I do this to avoid ripping any thin wire out from the inside of the coil.

71956546-nose-hair-scissors-with-copy-space-high-key-.jpg

I use nose hair scissors, cheap as chips from Dischem but sharp and they have a curved blade that helps sometimes in tight spaces. With clapton coils I tend to cut one side and then use my coiling rod to gently push the cotton out. I do this to avoid ripping any thin wire out from the inside of the coil.
I use something similar, but I think mine is from Clicks… its getting dull now, but a R50 or so every 2 years on a vape scissor aint bad!

Plus one on the tweezer method but before I do that I burn the cotton bone dry. It makes the work much easier!

Back