Stardust - for Astronomy lovers

BANG!

Good shooting, NASA! The hard data are going to be fascinating.

The overall energy release was expected to be around 10 billion kJ, which sounds like a lot until you consider that the Little Boy released 15 kilotons of energy over Hiroshima, or about 1.3 x 10^5x the size of the DART impact (my arithmetic could do with some checking here).

The use of nukes in space is banned by treaty, but you would think there would be an exemption for a test like this. Nevertheless, if there's an appreciable orbital deviation this is an outstanding success.

Here is a video of a phenomenon à I wasn’t aware about: the moon libration showing how the moon despite being geolocked we still manage to see a little of its far side due to its elliptical orbit around the Earth. Very interesting!

Here is a video of a phenomenon à I wasn’t aware about: the moon libration showing how the moon despite being geolocked we still manage to see a little of its far side due to its elliptical orbit around the Earth. Very interesting!

In other words the moon is not made of cheese. It's made of jelly, since it wobbles :sing:

About 59% of the moon's surface visible from earth over an extended period. It's a very cool phenomenon. I didn't watch the video, so I don't know if it's answered there, but I wonder if that's decreasing or increasing as the moon moves away from the earth.

In other words the moon is not made of cheese. It's made of jelly, since it wobbles :sing:

About 59% of the moon's surface visible from earth over an extended period. It's a very cool phenomenon. I didn't watch the video, so I don't know if it's answered there, but I wonder if that's decreasing or increasing as the moon moves away from the earth.
it wobbles :)

South Africa to miss out on total blood moon eclipse

Tuesday's Beaver Blood Moon total lunar eclipse will be the last until 2025 but will not be visible to South Africans with a naked eye.

YES, Aretemis 1.

Hell yes!

I just wish NASA would take some lessons on inflight camera work from SpaceX. They've had over 60 years to practice and still can't compete with the upstart private company.

Looking forward to multiple blue marble shots and multitudes of flat earthers to troll...

Back