subtank chimney cap

kelly22

Dedicated Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi guys i know i ask quite alot of questions but today i purchased a subtank from a friend who is not very much into vaping anymore, so i purchased the subtank hex had about two months but never used the rba section on it so i get home n put the pieces together n i cant seem to unscrew the chimney cap of the deck so i can acess the rba section just curious to know if this ever happenned to anybody and if so can i please have a possible solution as i cannot use the rba section withput unscrewing the chimney cap
kind regards and thanks in advance
KV

I use surgical gloves to grip the bottom section a unscrew the cap when mine is a bit stubborn.

Maybe try putting it in the freezer for a while and then try again. If that doesn't work, try leaving it in boiling water. Just an idea.

Let us know if it works.

When I first got my subtank, I very nearly stopped using the RBA because of this issue. Mine still bears the bite marks of an adjustable wrench.

What works without fail is to lightly drop the deck onto a hard surface a few times. Preferably not on the side as it may bend without the support of both ends.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I apprrciate the onput guys the seems like a comon issue iv actually just now seen a few ppl with the same problem on the internet

Um, which subtank exactly? didn't know there was a chimney part in there

Oh that top little part, oops yeah they are sometimes a wee bit tough to get loose

The heat method does work, too- but more effort. The idea is to heat the outer part of the thread only, causing it to expand, and the inner thread stays the same. Putting it in the freezer will cause the whole assembly to contractx defeating the purpose. Just dip the RBA top down into hot water.

When I first got my subtank, I very nearly stopped using the RBA because of this issue. Mine still bears the bite marks of an adjustable wrench.

What works without fail is to lightly drop the deck onto a hard surface a few times. Preferably not on the side as it may bend without the support of both ends.

Above in red works for me to...

Sorry- I just realised you said the chimney section is stuck. If the dropping doesn't work, put it in the freezer for 10 mins, and then dip the entire thing into warm water for just a second or less.

Hi,

I used to have this problem nearly every time when I first started using it. I fought with it (2 sets of pliars and all) and even cut my finger badly on the thread trying to get it open and then out of the blue it would open as smooth as butter. Also tried the knocking it and hot and cold temperature changes that worked eventually with lots of effort.

I have since discovered that if I simple hold the base/threaded section with a cloth and actually tighten and then open, it opens very easily when it gets "locked". I actually wonder if is has some sort of lock setting and that is the unlock sequence, lol. But it works every time now without much effort at all.I simply hold the thread section with a cloth so I don't cut my fingers and the chimney itself with my fingers and tighten then loosen. Sometimes, you might have to try it a couple times, kinda like a wiggle if that makes sense.

I have 3 RBA decks in rotation as well and the same trick works for all. Hope it works for you.

PS: I usually strip it at the kitchen sink so I can wash everything out so I grab a sink cloth which is always close by. If I'm at work and want to open one out, I just use a piece of tissue. This is just so I don't cut my fingers.

Some great and very useful information so far. I always hated this about the original SubTank RBA (the issue no longer exists on the SubTank v2 RBA thankfully).

Another very important tip I'll add, which goes for most of these thin threaded parts...don't apply too much pressure. Sometimes when you grip it tightly it actually warps the threads ever so slightly making it much harder to unscrew.

So use a soft grip and gentle turn until it loosens up. Treat it like a lady :p

Giluys once again thanks for the positive feedback will update as soon as i get it sorted

@Raslin Winner man!
Just unlocked an atty with a surgical glove, that not even pliers could get apart.
I tried everything to get it loose, hot water, various towels, pliers on each end... And with the glove it just came apart like nothing was wrong :rock:
@kelly22 try it, it works!:grinning:

Back