Tragic Drowning

Wash

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Well, it's finally happened.

Two days after my 2-year forum anniversary, my first proper mod was tragically claimed by Davie Jones' Locker.

More accurately, it was idiotically claimed by my swimming trunks' pocket. I now know that I do not have the multi-tasking ability to remember to empty my pockets before taking my son for a dip.

Long story short (TL;DR): my 2-year old Subox mini took a (not just quick) dip in a pool.

So far, I've taken the mod apart, pulled the PCB away from the housing and covered it with rice.

Any one have any hopeful anecdotes and/or advice regarding the revival of this drowning victim?

Good luck saving your mod bud!
As long as it was off while it was under water you should be fine. Just let it dry completely.

Two days after my 2-year forum anniversary, my first proper mod was tragically claimed by Davie Jones' Locker.

More accurately, it was idiotically claimed by my swimming trunks' pocket. I now know that I do not have the multi-tasking ability to remember to empty my pockets before taking my son for a dip.

Long story short (TL;DR): my 2-year old Subox mini took a (not just quick) dip in a pool.

So far, I've taken the mod apart, pulled the PCB away from the housing and covered it with rice.

Any one have any hopeful anecdotes and/or advice regarding the revival of this drowning victim?

Clean the PCB and everything related with Isopropyl alcohol and a small brush.

Geeze
I was expecting something totally different when opening this thread.
Good luck with the resurrection.

Good luck saving your mod bud!

Thanks, @Halfdaft Customs. It was not, unfortunately, switched off when I took it under.

Upon inspection of the PCB, I did see on some of the contacts what looked to my untrained eyes very much like galvanic corrosion helped along by the copious amounts of chlorine in the pool water. I'm hoping that a thorough soak in the rice (2 days?) will remove any remaining moisture before I apply power to the circuitry again.

Any advice out there regarding how (or even IF) I should try and clean the board before introducing the angry pixies?

Thanks, @Halfdaft Customs. It was not, unfortunately, switched off when I took it under.

Upon inspection of the PCB, I did see on some of the contacts what looked to my untrained eyes very much like galvanic corrosion helped along by the copious amounts of chlorine in the pool water. I'm hoping that a thorough soak in the rice (2 days?) will remove any remaining moisture before I apply power to the circuitry again.

Any advice out there regarding how (or even IF) I should try and clean the board before introducing the angry pixies?

My guess is you are also a fan of the Canuckian youtuber - AvE ? :D

My guess is you are also a fan of the Canuckian youtuber - AvE ? :D
You would be correct, sir! Although I don't follow too good with the wrangling of the angry pixies. Electrics, I'm fine with - it's the electronics that tie my mental faculties in knots. Hence my request for assistance!

Sorry to hear about this @Wash :(
Hope you can get it sorted out
Let us know how it goes

Sorry to hear about this @Wash :(
Hope you can get it sorted out
Let us know how it goes

Will do, thanks, @Silver.

Luckily, I have a spare (the iStick tc60w) mod. But I would like to get the old workhorse up and running.

I don't need an excuse for a new mod - just the funding! hehe!

Back