Twisted Messes styled RDA

Lex Aer

New Vaper
LV

Awards
I bought Twisted Messes squared styled RDA as I want to give dripping a go and did not want to spend +-R1,000.00 on a RDA without first knowing whether or not I would actually use and enjoy it. Plus can I build a coil and not buy pre-built coils? Product looked fine for clone, but on inserting the clapton coils and pulsing them to get rid of hotspots etc. what I can as best describe as an adhesive melted at the bottom of one of the posts, causing this post to lift and to become, well wobbly and loose.

I am not willing to risk using this RDA where something that looks like an adhesive has melted. No telling what might become released as this "stuff" gets heated up again. Any advice or suggestions or similar experience from any of the more experienced members of the forum on what to do, save to fetch the rubbish bin.

I attach some pictures (admittedly of poor quality) of the RDA and melted adhesive (white stuff at the bottom of the post). 20160612_123051.jpg 20160612_122922.jpg

Personally I feel like you should take it back to the vendor it was purchased from, because that is unacceptable. Clones are still 300+ rand and for that to happen when pulsing a coil, I feel as if it's unacceptable.

You melted the insulator. I have exactly the same clone, and it is performing just fine. How long did you pulse the coils for? At what wattage?

3 seconds 55 watts. About 5 pulses in total. Coils started to give a nice glow and saw the goo. Really, melted the insulator by pulsing the coils? Hmmm. Would that be on any RDA or just clones as I also have a Wotofo cubed and no problems there, although I don't like the taste in the Wotofo.

All RDA's will have insulators, just different materials. Most, even clones, have PEEK insulators to handle high temperatures.

Would the original have the same material for insulation. What should I do different then?

Most of the clones I've had, all my RDA's have been clones almost, were fine. Maybe you had a short? I can't imagine even a non-PEEK insulator melting like that at 55W in 3 sec bursts

If that insulator melted, then it's not PEEK. It's probably only delrin (acetyl) and cannot handle the very high temps. Authentics are better, but I have quite a few clones and very happy with them. This has not happened to me before.

Thank you for the replies. Sounds like it was either a dud or an x files moment. In the bin it goes. Will get the original and see how that goes, but in the interim ... back to my trusted tanks I go! And no more clowns for me

Thank you for the replies. Sounds like it was either a dud or an x files moment. In the bin it goes. Will get the original and see how that goes, but in the interim ... back to my trusted tanks I go! And no more clowns for me
Maybe keep it for spares. Screws, or-rings etc should work on the authentic when you get it...?

Hiya

I had the same clone. Same thing happened. Just got worse.
I will tell you, for a clone, it chucks. Really nice deck to build on. I liked it while I had it.

Not sure if the vendor will take it back/swop it etc ... but give it a try.

I haven't been able to fix mine.
Sooooo ... I bought a DotMod :)

Back