Vapour Mountain - Juice Reviews

Thanks for the reminder Spiri! I will kick off the competition with a new thread in the VM sub forum.

WP_20140108_00220140109135627.jpg Got my 4 x 10ml sampler juices from Vapour mountain yesterday.
Peach Rooibos, Vanilla Custard, Banana Cream & Marshmallow.

Mounted Peach rooibos first - tastes light and sophisticated (alot like Lipton peach ice tea), just needs a tiny boost. I like it alot though.
Next was Marshmallow - Average taste, I dont love it, but i don't dislike it.
Today during lunchtime I mounted Banana cream, wow! - I love it, the coconut undertones are what makes it for me.

I have not tried the Vanilla custard yet, i'm hoping I saved the best for last, looking forward to vaping it.

Oupa, I have two words for you: LEKKER SOUS!

Running to Vapour Mountain from now on to keep me juiced up.

Last edited:
Hi all

I am now commencing my second round of reviews of various additional Vapour Mountain ready-made juices which I have not tried before.

In my first round I reviewed LITCHI, BERRY BLAZE, VM4, BANANA CREAM, MANGO, PEACH ROOIBOS, MENTHOL ICE and VANILLA CUSTARD. My outright favourites of that batch were LITCHI and PEACH ROOIBOS. My reviews of these juices can be found earlier in this thread.

In the line up for this round of reviews is PINEAPPLE, PASSION PEACH, TAURUS, POLAR MINT, CHOC MINT and MARSHMALLOW. I will be reviewing these over the coming week or so.

They are all 10ml sample bottles. I got them from Vapour Mountain (@Oupa) and they cost R50 each. According to Vapour Mountain, they are "mostly 50/50 or 60/40 PG/VG blends". I got the 18mg nicotine strength.

The first one is PINEAPPLE. Here goes

Vapour Mountain PINEAPPLE (18mg)

It's average, not what I was hoping for.

The pineapple taste is there, but it's a muted, dull sweet taste. I was hoping for something more punchy and vibrant like the sweet and sour taste you get when biting into a perfect pineapple. But it was not to be. The bit of flavour that is there is sweet like a slightly over-ripe pineapple but dulled. I picked up no layering of flavours. This one tastes like a single flavour as the name would suggest. It's not unpleasant at all and it does taste like pineapple, but it's too subdued for me. I gave it a chance over several tanks and vaped it almost exclusively for 2 days, but just couldn't get excited about it.

The aftertaste is very slight and also a bit dull. It disappears fairly quickly.

I found the throat hit was low to medium. Two or more drags started tickling my throat but not that much.

Vapour production was good, something I have noticed with most of Vapour Mountain's juices.

Overall, this juice was disappointing. I was hoping for something with more flavour and vibrancy. I won't be re-ordering.

Equipment used: Protank 2 Mini, Standard 2.2 ohm coil (measuring 2.25 ohms on the Sigelei ohm meter), Vision Spinner VV battery set to 4.1 Volts (implying about 7.5 Watts).

Packaging
I generally like the simple packaging of the Vapour Mountain juices. It's a simple squeezable plastic bottle with an easy to remove cap. It is labelled with the flavour and nicotine strength. However I feel there are some areas where the packaging and labelling could be improved:
- the bottle does not have a child friendly cap
- there is no date of production
- the PG/VG ratio is not displayed
- and to be picky, the flavour label is a bit small

In my next review I will include a photo of the juice bottle for those that haven't seen it before.

Last edited:
Hi all

I am now commencing my second round of reviews of various additional Vapour Mountain ready-made juices which I have not tried before.

In my first round I reviewed LITCHI, BERRY BLAZE, VM4, BANANA CREAM, MANGO, PEACH ROOIBOS, MENTHOL ICE and VANILLA CUSTARD. My outright favourites of that batch were LITCHI and PEACH ROOIBOS. My reviews of these juices can be found earlier in this thread.

In the line up for this round of reviews is PINEAPPLE, PASSION PEACH, TAURUS, POLAR MINT, CHOC MINT and MARSHMALLOW. I will be reviewing these over the coming week or so.

They are all 10ml sample bottles. I got them from Vapour Mountain (@Oupa) and they cost R50 each. According to Vapour Mountain, they are "mostly 50/50 or 60/40 PG/VG blends". I got the 18mg nicotine strength.

The first one is PINEAPPLE. Here goes

Vapour Mountain PINEAPPLE (18mg)

It's average, not was I was hoping for.

The pineapple taste is there, but it's a muted, dull sweet taste. I was hoping for something more punchy and vibrant like the sweet and sour taste you get when biting into a perfect pineapple. But it was not to be. The bit of flavour that is there is sweet like a slightly over-ripe pineapple but dulled. I picked up no layering of flavours. This one tastes like a single flavour as the name would suggest. It's not unpleasant at all and it does taste like pineapple, but it's too subdued for me. I gave it a chance over several tanks and vaped it almost exclusively for 2 days, but just couldn't get excited about it.

The aftertaste is very slight and also a bit dull. It disappears fairly quickly.

I found the throat hit was low to medium. Two or more drags started tickling my throat but not that much.

Vapour production was good, something I have noticed with most of Vapour Mountain's juices.

Overall, this juice was disappointing. I was hoping for something with more flavour and vibrancy. I won't be re-ordering.

Equipment used: Protank 2 Mini, Standard 2.2 ohm coil (measuring 2.25 ohms on the Sigelei ohm meter), Vision Spinner VV battery set to 4.1 Volts (implying about 7.5 Watts).

Packaging
I generally like the simple packaging of the Vapour Mountain juices. It's a simple squeezable plastic bottle with an easy to remove cap. It is labelled with the flavour and nicotine strength. However I feel there are some areas where the packaging and labelling could be improved:
- the bottle does not have child friendly caps
- there is no date of production
- the PG/VG ratio is not displayed
- and to be picky, the flavour label is a bit small

In my next review I will include a photo of the juice bottle for those that haven't seen it before.
Pity, I was hoping for a good Pineapple, thanks for the honest review, Silver.

Perhaps this is a side effects of being spoilt by the 5 Pawns juices. I assume you've been vaping those before you opened your bottle of Pineapple ? Trust me, it happens. I used to vape and love juice "A" , until i tried juice "B" , and when i went back to "A" , i didn't like it at all, in fact, i despised it. .....and all of a sudden you mention the production date, labeling, pg/vg ratio etc Spoilt brat :D

Thanks for the feedback @Zodiac.

You are quite right that one's perception can change depending on what you've tasted before.

And yes, you're right, my last review before this was the Five Pawns juices.
However I have VM's Peach Rooibos in my other Protank as well and am still loving it. So Five Pawns hasn't changed how I feel about Peach Rooibos.

As for packaging, yes, my review of Five Pawnsgot me thinking more about packaging ;-)

Its not that I'm spoilt Im just learning whats possible... ;-)

But I take your point fully.

Despite the shortcomings I have highlighted on the VM packaging, it's still good and It would not stop me from buying more.

Looking forward to what @Oupa does with the Legends line

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback @Zodiac.

You are quite right that one's perception can change depending on what you've tasted before.

And yes, you're right, my last review before this was the Five Pawns juices.
However i have VM's Peach Rooibos in my other Protank as well and am still loving it. So Five Pawns hasnt changed how i feel about Peach Rooibos.

As for packaging, yes, my review of Five Pawnsgot me thinking more about packaging ;-)

Its not that im spoilt Im just learning whats possible... ;-)

But i take your point fully.

Despite my shortcomings i have highlighted on the VM packaging, its still good and It would not stop me from buying more.

Looking forward to what @Oupa does with the Legends line
That's good to know, thanks for clearing up. Excellent review btw @Silver1, i just wanted to check whether your perception hasn't changed with 5P. But since you mention you still love your PR, its all good.

The owner of 5 pawns is a brand promoter by trade, which means he knows exactly how to make his brand as desirable as they come. So maybe us South Africans can learn a thing or two from whats possible, and nice to have on our labels.

Oh, and i was only pulling your leg about the spoilt brat part :D

@Silver1 - Definitely what happens when you are spoiled with R350 juice... Lol! Seriously, thank you for always giving your honest opinion in your reviews!

Like you mentioned, I tried to go for the minimalistic look and feel. All info will be available regarding each liquid on our website when it goes live. Date of production: Freshly mixed to order, normally 24 - 48 hours after order was placed.

The Legends range should address most of the points above :D

Regarding child proof caps... I know about many top end juices that don't come with child proof caps. Do Five Pawns have them for instance? I know there are a lot of people that prefer it, but there are also those that don't. Child proof caps tend to get worn out and then becomes difficult to open and close, I've even had some that leak. And I understand that people want to be extra careful with kiddies around. I think of it this way, if you have cleaning chemicals in your house like bleach, handy andy, etc. (which are all poisonous) it normally does not come with child proof caps and you just place it higher up where the kiddies can't reach or away in a locked cupboard. The same care should be taken with eLiquid regardless of having a child proof cap or not. I do understand and respect some people's argument around this issue, as well as the fact that some suppliers do not want to stock eLiquid without child proof caps. It is the supplier and the consumer's own choice and one can never do too much to ensure the safety of the little ones.

Please note the above is my opinion only and I am not arguing for or against child proof caps. As I said, I understand the arguments for it ;)

Thanks for your post @Oupa ;-)

I appreciate that you appreciate an honest review.

And yes, Five Pawns is much more expensive. I suppose I have not given much attention to the vaping pleasure versus the cost. I am thinking of introducing some kind of vaping value index to my reviews ;-)

But lets look at the costs a bit more closely.

Five Pawns is R350 for 30ml which means R11.67 per ml. That is very expensive.
Vapour Mountain juice is R120 for 30ml (lets ignore the sample size and compare the same size). So that's R4 per ml.

About a third of the price or said differently, Five Pawns is 3 times more expensive. On that basis, if someone can find a juice they like from Vapour Mountain, it's perfectly sustainable. If you vape say 5ml a day, that's R20 a day or about R600 per month. The same 5ml/day of Five Pawns would cost R58 per day or about R1,750 per month!

I think for me that would mean that Five Pawns is more of an occasional treat than a sustainable vaping solution.

Looking at this from another angle, one needs to analyse the vaping pleasure you get versus the cost.

Does Five Pawns give me 3 times the vaping pleasure? No. I'd say just a bit more. So from a pleasure versus cost perspective (i.e. value), Vapour Mountain wins.

Then again, to get that bit extra of vaping pleasure sometimes can cost exponentially more. And so too with many other things in life.

From my perspective @Oupa, your current juices are fantastic and priced very well. I will certainly be buying more. With Five Pawns, I want to save a lot of it to vape it on different equipment and have it as a treat. I may order replacements over time but Vapour Mountain is the kind of juice that keeps me going...

Exactly, that's why there is a place for the top end expensive juices as well and why people buy it... it's like me enjoying a good single malt whiskey. It's expensive... but I also enjoy Jameson and JW black, but the occasional expensive single malt is damn good and a real treat!

On the issue of child proof caps, let me say the following

Firstly, I don't have children. Small children are hardly ever at my place. So my views may be entirely different if I had kids.

Five Pawns does NOT have child proof caps. You simply twist open the dripper cap and the bottle is open.
I guess it was unfair of me to make the comment about child proof caps on your juice and not on the Five Pawns. I actually will go make some edits to my Five Pawns reviews.

Let's just be clear what is a child proof cap - so we are all talking about the same thing. My understanding of a child proof cap is something that when twisted does not open, it just twists freely and doesn't open. In order to open it you have to press it down and then twist - then the threads catch and it unscrews normally.

Not sure why they call this "child proof" since I am pretty sure many children could open it if they fiddled with it long enough. Probably a better description is "child deterrent".

I actually prefer the non "child-proof" caps since I find them easier to open (LOL - I'm probably a child). I find the child-proof caps sometimes stop working well after a while. They do irritate me a bit.

So if I had things my way for now I would prefer all juices to have "normal caps". But I think that the child issue is more important in the longer run and I do think that effort needs to be spent on designing better "child proof" caps. I.e. ones that are more difficult for kids to open and ones that work smoothly for longer with less irritation factor.

My daughter is almost 2 years old, and she always seems to go for my e-juice bottles.. I really do feel a tiny bit less worried with the "child safety " caps.. I can see how she keeps turning and turning with no luck.. she eventually gives up and moves on to her next obstacle. No matter what safety these bottles have, I will never trust any of it with my child . In the end, it's my responsibility to keep it out of her reach at all times.. sorry for blubbering lol

Here is my next Vapour Mountain review. This time it's the PASSION PEACH.

Once again, a 10ml sample bottle from Vapour Mountain (@Oupa) and it cost R50. According to Vapour Mountain, their juices are "mostly 50/50 or 60/40 PG/VG blends". This one also has 18mg nicotine strength.

Vapour Mountain PASSION PEACH (18mg)

Wow, I love it.

It has a lovely mix of passion fruit and peach flavours, exactly as the name suggests. The flavours are spot on. I do like passion fruit as a flavour and mix myself the passion fruit cordial drink daily, so I am familiar with it. The passion fruit granadilla taste is definitely there, so too the peach. The combination works well together. The flavours are quite subtle and not in your face but it has more flavour than the previous Pineapple juice I reviewed. They are well balanced too. I found the Passion Fruit to be slightly more dominant, which I liked.

The flavours are natural tasting. It's a very nice, light and refreshing vape. It is on the sweet side, but not too sweet since the flavours are not overly strong. The aftertaste doesn't last long but is pleasant.

I found it had a pleasurable medium strength throat hit (for me at least). More than the Pineapple and the same type of throat hit as my other two favourite VM juices (Peach Rooibos and Litchi). Two or more drags can definitely be felt - with the lovely passion fruit flavour coming to the fore. Vapour wise it's very good, like the other VM juices. Lots of vapour even on my standard kit ;-)

What makes this juice great for me is that the flavours are very pleasing yet subtle. So I can vape it continuously. I also get a nice throat hit.

Overall, I love this this juice for its subtle pleasing passion fruit flavour and decent throat hit. I've marked it as a potential all day vape. Thank you @Oupa! I will definitely be re-ordering.

Equipment used: Protank 2 Mini, Standard 2.2 ohm coil (measuring 2.2 ohms on the Sigelei ohm meter), Vision Spinner VV battery set to 4.1 Volts (implying about 7.6 Watts).

Here's a picture of the 10ml juice bottle:

VM PASSION PEACH 640by480 95pct.jpg

I like the packaging and find it easy to use.
- As I said in my previous review, the bottles are clearly marked with the flavour and the nicotine strength.
- The date of production is not on the label but as @Oupa pointed out they are mixed when ordered.
- The PG/VG ratio is not on the label, but we know VM's juices are in the 50/50-60/40 PG/VG range.
- The screw caps are not of the "child-deterrent" type. The cap works well and screws on perfectly. I actually prefer this, but bear this in mind if you prefer your juices to have "child-deterrent" caps.

My daughter is almost 2 years old, and she always seems to go for my e-juice bottles.. I really do feel a tiny bit less worried with the "child safety " caps.. I can see how she keeps turning and turning with no luck.. she eventually gives up and moves on to her next obstacle. No matter what safety these bottles have, I will never trust any of it with my child . In the end, it's my responsibility to keep it out of her reach at all times.. sorry for blubbering lol

There's an old saying, there's no such thing as a child-proof cap

My son at 2, got the child proof cap off a Jik bottle, in about 2 seconds flat - the jik was in a cupboard with child-proof safety latches

There's an old saying, there's no such thing as a child-proof cap

My son at 2, got the child proof cap off a Jik bottle, in about 2 seconds flat - the jik was in a cupboard with child-proof safety latches

Hectic!

Yep - I now know my GTI can make it from our house to the hospital in 12 minutes - luckily he hadn't drank any of it, but we weren't sure, so 12 minutes and R750 later we could breathe again :)

Time for my next Vapour Mountain review. This time it's CHOC MINT.

Once again, a 10ml sample bottle from Vapour Mountain (@Oupa) and it cost R50. According to Vapour Mountain, their juices are "mostly 50/50 or 60/40 PG/VG blends". This one is also 18mg/ml nicotine strength.

Vapour Mountain CHOC MINT (18mg)

I love it.

It has a delicious mint and chocolate flavour just as the name implies. The mint is there straight away and is refreshing and cool on the lips. It's a classic pure mint taste. Then I get the more subtle chocolate, which makes for an interesting combination. It's not a sweet chocolate, slightly on the bitter side - but nice. It's quite a simple straightforward chocolate, not a rich or complex one. The taste reminds me a bit of those milk chocolate buttons. The flavours taste natural.

The mint is the more dominant flavour, yet the flavours are still nicely balanced and they work well together. What I like is that the flavours are not overpowering or too strong so I could vape it on an ongoing basis. And so I have been for the past 3 days or so. The more I vaped. the more I wanted. A good sign.

The aftertaste is a pleasant mint with a feint bit of chocolate. The mint stays for a while and kept my mouth nice and refreshed.

I found the throat hit to be a bit lower than other VM juices. I would rate it as low to medium. I am a throat hit person so this is the only slight negative for me. I found myself occasionally taking double drags and quick inhales to compensate, so it wasn't a big problem. Vapour production was high as with many other VM juices.

I was curious to see how this compared with Five Pawns' Bowdens Mate, which also has mint and chocolate in its flavour profile. Bowdens Mate is smoother versus a slightly more "coarseness" to the VM juices - but this isn't a bad thing since I quite like the coarseness on my throat ;-) Bowdens Mate has a more complex flavour (with vanilla as well) versus a more straighforward flavour profile from VM's Choc Mint. And I found the chocolate in Bowdens Mate to be more hidden than in VM's Choc Mint. Overall, VM's Choc Mint holds its weight and I found it almost as pleasurable if not equally as pleasurable as vaping Bowden's Mate! At a third of the price, VM's Choc Mint wins - regarding value. For now, bear in mind I am vaping these juices on "fairly standard equipment" at a power of 7-8 Watts. Perhaps my impressions would change at higher power on different equipment. I will hopefully revisit this in time.

Overall, I love this this juice for its refreshing mint flavour made interesting by the small dose of chocolate - and that the flavours are not too overpowering - just right. I will definitely be re-ordering.

Equipment used: Protank 2 Mini, Standard 2.2 ohm coil (measuring 2.2 ohms on the Sigelei ohm meter), Vision Spinner VV battery set to 4.0 Volts (implying about 7.3 Watts).

Note that Vapour Mountain's juice bottles do not have "child-deterrent" caps. Bear this in mind if you prefer your juices to have "child-deterrent" caps.

Good news, indeed, Silver. I love Bowden's Mate. Will definitely try VM's choc mint. BTW, for Bowden's Mate I added 2.2 ml of 100 mg PG nicotine to up the nic to 18 and get a better throat hit.

Thanks @Matthee
Where did you get the 100mg PG nic?

Thanks again to Oupa for the Menthol VM... It is really a refreshing and mentholly vape, I love it! :D

Glad you enjoy it! Not for the faint-hearted! ;)

Thanks @Oupa - yes, I really like the Choc Mint. I didn't have high expectations for it. Goes to show how different each juice is.

Back