Airport security

ShaneW

Juicy Joes Owner
ECIGSSA Donor
Supporting Vendor
LV

Awards
So after probably 100 domestic and international flights since I started vaping I had the 1st real 'weird' questioning by airport security. Of all places.. Kimberley. The lady operating the scanner picked up my setup(sig 150W with pheno RDA) as a potential issue and they pulled me aside for questioning.
I must add I've been through just about all the domestic airports (incl Kimberley) in SA with the same or similar setup without an issue.
When asked (probably 3/10) times what this is I have a standard response... It's an electronic cigarette, you know the twisp (to which they usually nod) well it's a turbo version of that.
Well anyway, I was pulled aside and what appeared to be the head of security, proceeded with a few questions. I Gave the standard response and he requested that I please demonstrate.. He was a bit taken aback and confused so I proceeded to fill his office with thick Hazeworks clouds
He seemed to finally understand, after a couple of coughs , and I was given the nod.
I joined the boarding queue and my bag was then searched intimately... I've been carrying the same 10-15 bottles in my laptop bag for about a year (yes I never clear my bag) and they had to clear each and every bottle with their supervisor.

Anyway .. No harm done and although it was somewhat embarrassing it was an experience and a clear product of inexperience,because they had no idea what I was carrying. I have taken no offense and really a 1% issue rate is nothing. Just hope they will be more informed for the next one of us that decides to travel from Kimberley.

After all... This is Kimberley we talking about, I've never been given a 2nd glance at CT and I'm sure that's only because we CT vapers are prolific

Peace and be safe

Last edited:
The guy was doing his job hey. I mean e cigz do look pretty weird if you have no idea what they are. But yeah I am sure they have learned a lesson . :)

Now I am worried about (if) I go to Mauritius too see some of my family this year :-(

Weird. They were probably bored. Sorry that happened to you. They are supposed to have their 108, 109 and CAT 12 updated every six months. a few domestic flights don't allow batteries and a certain amount of liquid for carry on. But Ecig devices are, as it stands, a gray area. And they can't stop you.

Well they can with batteries and liquids if they feel like being Aholes

Weird. They were probably bored. Sorry that happened to you. They are supposed to have their 108, 109 and CAT 12 updated every six months. a few domestic flights don't allow batteries and a certain amount of liquid for carry on. But Ecig devices are, as it stands, a gray area. And they can't stop you.

Can you put it in the tray ( before the xray machine) and then put it back in your pocket ?

Can you put it in the tray ( before the xray machine) and then put it back in your pocket ?
Batteries... Not for international flights. You will have to put with checked luggage

I just got this :confused:http://www.smoktech.com/mod/r80-tc

Wtf am I going to tell them lol. Pretty sure it is more unsafe in my luggage:confused: I mean if it blows up for some reason it will be me and not in the cargo... sorry confused :oops:

That's exactly what I've always done and till today... without incident.
The CAA are clamping down on flights security system. It was supposed to be completed already for the 2010 soccer world cup... But Kimberly of all places to jump first. :rofl:

Mine went through my laptop bag at OR Tambo and Windhoek intl (Hosea kutako) as I don't take checked luggage when going for less than 4 days. No issues whatsoever, but only took my eGo one Mini and XL.
I've had an incident in Windhoek before with a small bic lighter in the X-Ray tray. "This is not allowed" and chucked it without warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got this :confused:http://www.smoktech.com/mod/r80-tc

Wtf am I going to tell them lol. Pretty sure it is more unsafe in my luggage:confused: I mean if it blows up for some reason it will be me and not in the cargo... sorry confused :oops:
There is a major problem with this ATM. That's why it's a grey area. That's why stuff is flown overnight so its on cargo flights. Btw, great smok there.
Batteries have been known to pop. But its rare. I fly with mine all the time. Its just a hype about the danger. But can't be to careful

Mine went through my laptop bag at OR Tambo and Windhoek intl (Hosea kutako) as I don't take checked luggage when going for less than 4 days. No issues whatsoever, but only took my eGo one Mini and XL.
I've had an incident in Windhoek before with a small bic lighter in the X-Ray tray. "This is not allowed" and chucked it without warning.

Yip. Such is the struggle. This is why the CAA can't implement this yet fully but individual airlines can

But it is the same as bringing a cellphone etc :/ Probably accidents with people not protecting the battery with battery covers like you mentioned above/no name brand china stuff.

But it is the same as bringing a cellphone etc :/ Probably accidents with people not protecting the battery with battery covers like you mentioned above/no name brand china stuff.
Its about the same risk. I actually had this conversation with them in the new updates and I was told not to be difficult. Hahahaha

They can't exactly ban no name stuff and allow anything else so if that's the case, they will just ban any e-cig.

So after probably 100 domestic and international flights since I started vaping I had the 1st real 'weird' questioning by airport security. Of all places.. Kimberley. The lady operating the scanner picked up my setup(sig 150W with pheno RDA) as a potential issue and they pulled me aside for questioning.
I must add I've been through just about all the domestic airports (incl Kimberley) in SA with the same or similar setup without an issue.
When asked (probably 3/10) times what this is I have a standard response... It's an electronic cigarette, you know the twisp (to which they usually nod) well it's a turbo version of that.
Well anyway, I was pulled aside and what appeared to be the head of security, proceeded with a few questions. I Gave the standard response and he requested that I please demonstrate.. He was a bit taken aback and confused so I proceeded to fill his office with thick Hazeworks clouds
He seemed to finally understand, after a couple of coughs , and I was given the nod.
I joined the boarding queue and my bag was then searched intimately... I've been carrying the same 10-15 bottles in my laptop bag for about a year (yes I never clear my bag) and they had to clear each and every bottle with their supervisor.

Anyway .. No harm done and although it was somewhat embarrassing it was an experience and a clear product of inexperience,because they had no idea what I was carrying. I have taken no offense and really a 1% issue rate is nothing. Just hope they will be more informed for the next one of us that decides to travel from Kimberley.

After all... This is Kimberley we talking about, I've never been given a 2nd glance at CT and I'm sure that's only because we CT vapers are prolific

Peace and be safe
@ShaneW Hi I live in Kimberly. I apologize for the issue. We as Vapers in Kimberly are trying to educate the masses. Lol. Will you be supplying juice to our area? If I may ask.

@ShaneW Hi I live in Kimberly. I apologize for the issue. We as Vapers in Kimberly are trying to educate the masses. Lol. Will you be supplying juice to our area? If I may ask.

Lol hi @Mogwai79 i was in Kimberley for other business, not vaping related, but we do ship countrywide

Batteries... Not for international flights. You will have to put with checked luggage
sXbqJK8.jpg

ICAO are getting stricter with lithium batteries as well, thanks to those segway/hoverboard hype.

But airline policy's differ. Diagram provided by @Andre is a good guide line.

That is correct. But I also said Ecigs is a grey area and individual airlines can impose their own restrictions.
To go further, a airline can only impose stricter regulations, not relax any.
But like I said, they told me to stop being difficult.

I flew to Bali had a similar issue in China, of all places where most of the items are manufactured.

Back