Calling all DIY'ers

Am I missing something? Can someone please explain the indifference? I can't believe @Sickboy77 would intentionally post something to upset.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Well done on the mix @Andre - sounds great
So happy you are enjoying the DIY adventure
Hope the scale is working well for you?
Looking forward to reading more about your efforts with unusual recipes!
Thanks @Silver. Enjoying it immensely. So glad @rogue zombie and others talked me into it.

The scale is working perfectly, except sometimes with very small volumes (0.01g to around 0.05g) it, for some or other reason, does not weigh (is this normal @drew?). Happens about once out of every 7 times. Which had me look at drops as plan b in such event. And found a very informative thread about that right here on this forum.

Thanks @Silver. Enjoying it immensely. So glad @rogue zombie and others talked me into it.

The scale is working perfectly, except sometimes with very small volumes (0.01g to around 0.05g) it, for some or other reason, does not weigh (is this normal @drew?). Happens about once out of every 7 times. Which had me look at drops as plan b in such event. And found a very informative thread about that right here on this forum.
I keep some 2ml syringes they work in .1 ml increments. Better than drops IMO. Still not trusting the scales myself but I will keep at playing with them and see...

Yes mine does that to every now and then. I've noticed in my case it happens with some INW bottles from INW, which drips very small drops. So it's like the scale didn't pick up such a small change in weight.

Then when I drip faster it picks up the change.

The one I was using before was terrible with 0.01 to 0.05. So I'm quite happy with this one. I find it very accurate. I've made some recipes so often that I know how many drops a certain percentage is, and this scale gets it.

Am I missing something? Can someone please explain the indifference? I can't believe @Sickboy77 would intentionally post something to upset.

I posted something last night, after a comment was made. I read it again and realised the way I put my message out came accross in the wrong way, so I retracted it.

@Sickboy77, respect dude! Wasn't meant as an attack at all. Just wanted to say that this was supposed to be a free-for-all thread from the start. Not my type of vape at all, but I'm many will enjoy it. Peace out

@Andre I have noticed that on occasion when the scale is at 0.00 it doesn't register 1 drop, I imagine the software is seeing it as a random fluctuation and ignoring it to maintain zero. Is this what you have experienced? The solution is to start with 2-3 drops to get the numbers moving and from there it will register single drops.

Also something to check is that the clear protective plastic has been removed from the tray, if it's left on a small bit could touch the body and interfere with readings.

@Andre I have noticed that on occasion when the scale is at 0.00 it doesn't register 1 drop, I imagine the software is seeing it as a random fluctuation and ignoring it to maintain zero. Is this what you have experienced? The solution is to start with 2-3 drops to get the numbers moving and from there it will register single drops.

Also something to check is that the clear protective plastic has been removed from the tray, if it's left on a small bit could touch the body and interfere with readings.
Thanks @drew. Shall do.

Could we perhaps make a thread of recipes per flavour similar to the juice awards I. E menthol thread with diy menthol recipes, bakery, tobacco etc... I would also like to know which recipes provide the best throat hit. Instead of searching through one thread? Just a thought?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sounds like a plan, but I ain't offering to copy paste all the existing recipe posts. :D

Just a comment on scales, drops and syringes.

From experience unless you are using laboratory grade equipment and methods there will always be discrepancies.

I use syringes for my base ingredients i.e PG, VG and nic but use drops for the flavours.

Yes some bottles release bigger or smaller drops than others but as long as you use the same method that can be reproduced it's all good. The actual discrepancy can be compensated for by the percentage value in the recipe.

I did this so I know anyone can reproduce my recipes. The scale gives accuracy but when someone follows your recipe they would then need that same scale.

Yes it is a PITA when I make large batches like 200ml that I often do but I know a lot of people using my recipe will be making small quantities to try out.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Just a comment on scales, drops and syringes.

From experience unless you are using laboratory grade equipment and methods there will always be discrepancies.

I use syringes for my base ingredients i.e PG, VG and nic but use drops for the flavours.

Yes some bottles release bigger or smaller drops than others but as long as you use the same method that can be reproduced it's all good. The actual discrepancy can be compensated for by the percentage value in the recipe.

I did this so I know anyone can reproduce my recipes. The scale gives accuracy but when someone follows your recipe they would then need that same scale.

Yes it is a PITA when I make large batches like 200ml that I often do but I know a lot of people using my recipe will be making small quantities to try out.

But... wouldn't the 'drop' method be influenced by room temp?

I mean the viscosity of a drop will surely be less in cold temperatures?

I personally use previously commercial juice glass bottles, and mark off where the juice was filled to by the manufacturer. This is another reason I still buy commercial juices - for the glass bottle... and some juice :)

I use syringes, very carefully, for the VG, PH and Nic. So I know where the 30mls should reach in order to be accurate. So I can immediately see when I was off with my measurements when filling. And with a good scale I am very unusually off the mark.

I actually dont think any method is 100% accurate unless, like said, you are using laboratory equipment.

And... I don't think being 10% or so off, will matter in flavour terms. We do not have laboratory grade taste senses :)

I have not noticed any difference between winter and summer after 2 years. It does not matter that flavour a is 20 drops per ml and flavour b 23 drops per ml. The flavour percentage in the recipe will dictate the ratio as long as you using the same baseline which is 20 drops per ml. Then anyone using that bottle of flavour can follow your recipe accurately. The flavour that does not conform to the 20 drops can be compensated for in the recipe percentage so instead of 3% it could be 2% to account for difference. Also PG is very thin so rather consistent.

I have not noticed any difference between winter and summer after 2 years. It does not matter that flavour a is 20 drops per ml and flavour b 23 drops per ml. The flavour percentage in the recipe will dictate the ratio as long as you using the same baseline which is 20 drops per ml. Then anyone using that bottle of flavour can follow your recipe accurately. The flavour that does not conform to the 20 drops can be compensated for in the recipe percentage so instead of 3% it could be 2% to account for difference. Also PG is very thin so rather consistent.

Ah I see.

Thank you. (Can't even 'like' your post as it's disappeared off Tapatalk :/)

I just use weight for convenience. Concentrate weights are a bit hit or miss as they all differ in weight, but it's marginal and I consistently get the same experience every time I mix.

Due to my bathroom looking like this:

20160511_204628.jpg
I have not been able to mix anything with all the dust everywhere. (Work started on 3 May and still not done). So I'm scrounging around all the half empty bottles and came across a 10ml bottle of Joose-e-liquid Spearz. Added a few drop of FA Fruits of the Forest and FA Strawberry. Came out quite nice as a shake n vape if anyone is interested in that kind of vape. Unfortunately I have no idea how much of each exactly, as I just dropped a few, tasted, dropped some more etc. Going to need a miracle to get my place clean again

Has anyone tried making a coconut donut yet? If yes, please share recipe :)

Back