Do We Need To Consider A New (future) Name For The Forum?

devdev

respice adspice prospice
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
It struck me last night that at some point in the future we may feel it necessary as a community to move away from the Ecigssa forum name - simply to get further away from the cigarette/tobacco/smoking impression that the name cigarette or cig creates in the mind of non-vapers, and maybe the impression it has for some of us as well.

Many, many years ago the website mybroadband.co.za started off as myadsl.co.za when ADSL was first launched in the country. The idea behind the forum was to allow people to come forward and check how their own ADSL stacked up against people in other areas and parts of the country.

When Sentech then launched their crappy MyWireless broadband service myadsl.co.za grew up and became mybroadband.co.za.

I'm not suggesting that we change the name now, I'm just raising it for discussion and to see if anyone else sees it as something to be considered?

At the moment we are going from strength to strength as a community, and I think changing the name now would probably not help the growth. But maybe it is something we can think of for the future, and in the meantime Giz can register the new name, so if/when the normal person in the street finally learns that this is vaping and not smoking, we can make the change.

Users, Mods, Owners? What do you guys think?

@Gizmo @Stroodlepuff @Silver @Matthee @TylerD @denizenx @Oupa @BhavZ @Riaz @Cape vaping supplies @Rob Fisher @vaalboy @Rowan Francis @Gazzacpt @Derick @CraftyZA @johanct

I see what you mean about the name and connotations that it may have on the world of vaping.

I agree that a name change would be in order in the future. From personal experience when work colleagues catch me on the forum they make the statement "I didnt know you smoke" or "ecigs, is that some form of electronic hooka?"

I think that if/when we do change the name that we keep the domain and have it auto resolve to the new named forum.

I agree @BhavZ myadsl.co.za in fact still redirects you to mybroadband.

Should be an easy enough thing to do on the webserver. Just need an HTML redirect I think

I agree @BhavZ myadsl.co.za in fact still redirects you to mybroadband.

Should be an easy enough thing to do on the webserver. Just need an HTML redirect I think
Yip that is pretty much it or add a mask to the domain if I am not mistaken.

with regards to possible names, if not taken already, I would like to go with VapeSA or perhaps VapeRevolution.

Revolution applying to 360degrees and not some sort of resistance. Revolution because on this forum we tend to cover everything with regards to vaping, giving the user a 360degree view of vaping and equipment

@BhavZ and @devdev . Your comments and thoughts are absolutely right on the money . Vape SA would be 1st choice .

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Vapesa is unfortunately the name of a store already....

That sucks a bit :(

Bugger .. VapingSa ??

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Personally this would make no sense at this point, maybe in 5 years when the term "ecigs" is not a common term used by anyone interested in finding out about ecigs.

If we look at google trends ecigs is the term most common term used:

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=ecigs

as opposed to something like personal vaporizer:

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=personal vaporizer

If we want to expose more people to the vaping world we would want to be part of the SEO that is most comon and unfortunately that is ecigs.

Else big forums like ECF would change their name as well which they havent.

I tend to agree with @Gizmo, people are looking to get off the analogs with ecigs, i for one googled ecigs when i was contemplating making the big move. I didn't know about vaping at the time.

Sent from my S4 LTE using my finger

That's my point Dr evil. People are searching that term I feel it will impede our growth by doing this.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Vaping in SA is still a very small community and growing slowly but surely. I'd suggest keeping the forum name as it is for at least another 2 years or so, correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm not mistaken this forum isn't even a year old yet? It's too soon to consider a name change in my opinion.

Great ideas guys. Although I feel changing the name wouldn't do justice to this forum and what's its become over the last few years. Ecigs is generally what people searxh for on google, what they ask for when in malls. So us having and owning ecigssa is awesome, in my opinion

I dont think the intention was to change the name anytime soon but just something for us to think about, maybe reserve the domains etc for future use.

I think some of you missed the point of my post or did not read it properly.

I didn't suggest a name change now - I agree that would be silly since we are growing stronger by the day. I said it was worth looking at the much bigger picture and identifying that ecig as a term may not serve the interests or purpose of the community in the future.

Vaping as a term is going main-stream and there will be a day when normal people understand that to vape means to use a battery with atomiser to boil a liquid.

I agree that ecig is the term that the general public will search under for a long time still. But consider that nearly every business on this forum is called 'something vapour' or 'vape something'. I don't see an eCigMountain or SkyBlueEcigs. We are looking at a future where vaping will be the common term that defines what we do.

I am suggesting that we plan ahead now. Things associated with cigarettes are already bad. Once the public understands that vaping is not bad (or anywhere nearly as dangerous as smoking) we should be ready to disassociate ourselves from cigarettes completely.

I am just saying we should be looking further down the road.

I think some of you missed the point of my post or did not read it properly.

I didn't suggest a name change now - I agree that would be silly since we are growing stronger by the day. I said it was worth looking at the much bigger picture and identifying that ecig as a term may not serve the interests or purpose of the community in the future.

Vaping as a term is going main-stream and there will be a day when normal people understand that to vape means to use a battery with atomiser to boil a liquid.

I agree that ecig is the term that the general public will search under for a long time still. But consider that nearly every business on this forum is called 'something vapour' or 'vape something'. I don't see an eCigMountain or SkyBlueEcigs. We are looking at a future where vaping will be the common term that defines what we do.

I am suggesting that we plan ahead now. Things associated with cigarettes are already bad. Once the public understands that vaping is not bad (or anywhere nearly as dangerous as smoking) we should be ready to disassociate ourselves from cigarettes completely.

I am just saying we should be looking further down the road.

I apologise then, i totally didn't get that from your post, i thought you meant changing it now, my bad :oops:

No problem @Dr Evil ;)

I fully agree that ecigssa is the best for now

Back