I'm cursed, cursed I tell you

See my edit about on wicking

Try lower the wattage by 2 - 5 volts and repeat till you are satisfied with your draw time.

If you mix i would recommend a slightly higher pg content 5 - 10%

That would be one evil juice! Just mix TFA slim mint cookie at 5%, i guarantee burnt coil taste in 5ml or your money back!
Just mix TFA anything in there and it'll taste like Batman had a shyte in your cereal that morning.
Gosh I'm not a fan of TFA at all :( So far I've totally nailed gym sock flavour by just using TFA Pineapple (not Juicy Pineapple, that one they fixed)

Anyway, the flooding is pretty much absent on this attempt but the dry hits are getting worse after all. It doesn't happen if I "help" it wick (in other words, doing a few dry puffs before an actual puff so that the bubbles come out).

EDIT: PS: Just in order to actually get some tank-vaping in tonight I brought out my old trust iJust S from its box. It's not great on flavour but it doesn't burn. So while assembling it I broke the drip tip off at the base. Hahahah what the hell man. This is like being in an episode of Supernatural.

I just need some tank action for a bit. My drippers are doing great but I have to look at photographs of my lounge to remember what it looked like before The Cloud.

Just mix TFA anything in there and it'll taste like Batman had a shyte in your cereal that morning.
Gosh I'm not a fan of TFA at all :( So far I've totally nailed gym sock flavour by just using TFA Pineapple (not Juicy Pineapple, that one they fixed)

Anyway, the flooding is pretty much absent on this attempt but the dry hits are getting worse after all. It doesn't happen if I "help" it wick (in other words, doing a few dry puffs before an actual puff so that the bubbles come out).
Damn i must get to bed! My posts had more spelling mistakes than zumas Christmas list.

I dont have issues with TFA for the most part (some are really bad and should be avoided eg.SMC!!)

And definitely try higher pg in your RTAs . . . 60/40 or 65/35 VG/PG

Damn i must get to bed! My posts had more spelling mistakes than zumas Christmas list.

I dont have issues with TFA for the most part (some are really bad and should be avoided eg.SMC!!)

And definitely try higher pg in your RTAs . . . 60/40 or 65/35 VG/PG
I know the feeling re spelling mistakes.. I edited my post several times (probably accidentally after you replied without noticing)

If this is ever narrated, I insist on it being by David Attenborough. "The confused vaper looks at the RTA, puzzled. Being out of his natural habitat, he relies on his other senses to provide...." you get the idea.

Hugh Bladen can do the paragraphs with the attempts though. For variety.
I pretty much follow the advice of Advanced Vape .He is my wicking Guru.The site covers many of today's popular RTAs on wicking techniques, so I swear by his advice. Since I got the Modfather I use this method.Many tanks I find you must make sure the juice ports are coverer by the cotton.Filling the tank is where the trouble lies IMO.
1.Before filling close the juice flow (if there is one) and airflow.
2.When you screw the cap on turn it upsidedown and screw the last turn.
3.Open juice flow then the air.If Bubbles come out of the juice port that's good.
Make sure the wick is saturated and vape.
Hopefully this helps.

I forgot to mention, inbetween wicking attempts, when I pull the old wick out I notice that the center (basically the part right in the center of the inside of the coil) is dry/white. Seems juice gets to the coil okay, but doesn't wick into the coil. Which would point to the cotton being too thick or compressed inside the coil.

Just not sure how, since it's a scottish roll with CBv2 and it's pretty loose in there.. can pull it out from one end without moving the spaced clapton a nanometer.

Gosh I'm not a fan of TFA at all :(

That is why you have wicking problems. Your inner balance is out of kilter. It is only through reconciling with TFA that harmony with the vaping universe will be restored. I recommend a weekend in a secluded monastery in Tibet, with only Vanilla Swirl, RY4 Double, Red Licorice, Papaya and Brown Sugar in your DIY kit. I once spent nearly three weeks without food, just concentrating hard on a bottle of DX Peanut Butter and freeing my mind of burdensome preconceptions. It moved me to the next level in mixing. Be the juice.

Oh, and drip. That is important too.

Well lads, I'm sorry to disappoint. I really am. But the Skyline / Skyclone is working. Since the beginning.
Don't get me wrong.. I tried to get it to burn. I really did. I hit it hard, I hit it long. I hit it warm, and cold. And then I picked up my vape and hit that hard, long, hot and cold too. But the dry hit never came.

Okay, on the first wicking attempt I did get dry hits when I puffed for longer than 4 seconds, but that's something I never usually do so I don't really count that. But after discovering how little cotton this thing really needs, I rewicked it with even less. It was so thin, you could see Steve Buscemi's face through the wicking holes (not that that's something you ever want to see through a wicking hole). And damn, after that I could hit up to 5 seconds with nary a dry hit. Bubbles after every puff (at least 1 bubble, anyway).

PS: It's amazing how little cotton this tank needs. You literally think "wow no, it's going to flood the deck". But it doesn't.

So, err....

Fin.

@aktorsyl, wish me luck man:
x6eaGNZ.jpg

So, err....

Fin.

I am torn between being over the moon for you and also sad at the same time that you found one that works for you. Leaning more towards being the type of person that does not (always) find happiness in other's misfortunes, I am going with 'absolutely bloody marvellous' that you can vape and actually taste something else than old socks & burning cotton and not having the occasional swig of juice in between.

There are however many RTAs out there, and new ones getting added to the list daily, so will secretly hope that you purchase another 'winner' - for the rest of us that is - somewhere down the line. You owe us an installment No. 2 ! >:)

TLDR - Glad to hear you are sorted for now ;)

I am torn between being over the moon for you and also sad at the same time that you found one that works for you. Leaning more towards being the type of person that does not (always) find happiness in other's misfortunes, I am going with 'absolutely bloody marvellous' that you can vape and actually taste something else than old socks & burning cotton and not having the occasional swig of juice in between.

There are however many RTAs out there, and new ones getting added to the list daily, so will secretly hope that you purchase another 'winner' - for the rest of us that is - somewhere down the line. You owe us an installment No. 2 ! >:)

TLDR - Glad to hear you are sorted for now ;)
Hhahah thanks! But fear not. I refuse to let the Ammit defeat me. Episode 2 with the Ammit will commence shortly.

Hhahah thanks! But fear not. I refuse to let the Ammit defeat me. Episode 2 with the Ammit will commence shortly.
I'm looking forward to reading all about Episode 2. I always find your posts thoroughly entertaining.

I'm glad the Skyclone is at least providing a pleasant experience in the meantime! :)

I did manage to ruin a perfectly good ni80 stapled alien coil though. Wasn't paying attention and accidentally pulsed it red-almost-white hot. Didn't hear any wire pop but it's probably not a good thing to use it, is it?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well, episode 2 with the Ammit started tonight. I think I discovered a possible reason for my woes.
The ratbastard has an airlock. The moment I get a dry hit, I open the top cover/lid a few turns and bubbles stream out of the wicking holes. (It doesn't flood at all, it just re-wicks the dry cotton).
Rinse, repeat.
In fact, when I twist the top cover open/closed I literally notice something moving inside one of the wicking holes. At first I thought it's the cotton itself (well, it might still be), but I rather reckon it's a massive bubble that's trapped in there. Not entire sure. It moves up and out of the way when the top cover is closed, and moves down to the wicking hole as you start unscrewing it.

Last edited:
Well, episode 2 with the Ammit started tonight. I think I discovered a possible reason for my woes.
The ratbastard has an airlock. The moment I get a dry hit, I open the top cover/lid a few turns and bubbles stream out of the wicking holes. (It doesn't flood at all, it just re-wicks the dry cotton).
Rinse, repeat.
In fact, when I twist the top cover open/closed I literally notice something moving inside one of the wicking holes. At first I thought it's the cotton itself (well, it might still be), but I rather reckon it's a massive bubble that's trapped in there. Not entire sure. It moves up and out of the way when the top cover is closed, and moves down to the wicking hole as you start unscrewing it.
So I got a couple of dry hits on the Ammit today. After reading this I tested and also noticed bubbles coming up when unscrewing the top cap.
I tried to fix this by opening the unit up, taking the wicking out of the ports and cutting them slightly shorter and thinner. I rate the wicking was blocking the ports.
I've put it back together and I'm now seeing bubbles after every pull (one side only though). I'm chain-vaping on it and not a single dry hit or the drop in flavor that preceded the dry hits today.

Full disclosure I'm a complete noob. This is my first RTA. But it does seem like less is more when it comes to the wicking ports.

@aktorsyl, perhaps you can try the same for Episode 3?

Last edited:
So I got a couple of dry hits on the Ammit today. After reading this I tested and also noticed bubbles coming up when unscrewing the top cap.
I tried to fix this by opening the unit up, taking the wicking out of the ports and cutting them slightly shorter and thinner. I rate the wicking was blocking the ports.
I've put it back together and I'm now seeing bubbles after every pull (one side only though). I'm chain-vaping on it and not a single dry hit or the drop in flavor that preceded the dry hits today.

Full disclosure I'm a complete noob. This is my first RTA. But it does seem like less is more when it comes to the wicking ports.

@aktorsyl, perhaps you can try the same for Episode 3?
Good idea! I tried the same thing in Episode 3. So... hahahahhahaha shit. Okay so here goes.
I'll preface this by saying I'm pretty sure I know where my mistake is.

Combed the cotton a bit (the mistake part), fluffed it, cut it shorter than normal, and placed it into the juice well. Poked it down so that it only goes about halfway down past the wicking hole. Primed, put it all back together, and testing began.

Have you ever heard what a banshee sounds like when you throw a piece of ham at her? Because that's what this sounded like. That coil.. made noises that would make the underworld envious. I haven't heard anything like that before in my life. It was a high-pitched squeal combined with popping taken straight from Gulf-era wartapes, and it's rounded off by a topnote of a frying pan sizzle. It's like a military base kitchen with a voice and a pissed-off demeanor.

That deck was flooded good and proper.

But this is one of those cases where "less is more" is completely untrue. There wasn't enough to stop the juice from seeping past it into the deck. Will try the exact same thing tomorrow without the combing, that should leave enough cotton in the deck to "plug" it without actually forming a seal. For what it's worth, when I opened the deck after the last dry hit (not this time, in Episode 2), I saw the problem immediately. It was the same as yours: The cotton became a flat... thing... plastered against the wicking hole, basically forming a seal on there. The rest of the juice well was completely devoid of cotton, it was all concentrated onto the wicking hole like a limpet with abandonment issues.

Good idea! I tried the same thing in Episode 3. So... hahahahhahaha shit. Okay so here goes.
I'll preface this by saying I'm pretty sure I know where my mistake is.

Combed the cotton a bit (the mistake part), fluffed it, cut it shorter than normal, and placed it into the juice well. Poked it down so that it only goes about halfway down past the wicking hole. Primed, put it all back together, and testing began.

Have you ever heard what a banshee sounds like when you throw a piece of ham at her? Because that's what this sounded like. That coil.. made noises that would make the underworld envious. I haven't heard anything like that before in my life. It was a high-pitched squeal combined with popping taken straight from Gulf-era wartapes, and it's rounded off by a topnote of a frying pan sizzle. It's like a military base kitchen with a voice and a pissed-off demeanor.

That deck was flooded good and proper.

But this is one of those cases where "less is more" is completely untrue. There wasn't enough to stop the juice from seeping past it into the deck. Will try the exact same thing tomorrow without the combing, that should leave enough cotton in the deck to "plug" it without actually forming a seal. For what it's worth, when I opened the deck after the last dry hit (not this time, in Episode 2), I saw the problem immediately. It was the same as yours: The cotton became a flat... thing... plastered against the wicking hole, basically forming a seal on there. The rest of the juice well was completely devoid of cotton, it was all concentrated onto the wicking hole like a limpet with abandonment issues.
It really is a pity that you are not closer. I would love to observe this type of pan-fried ham banshee experiences you have :p

So far so good for me on the dry hits. I definitely have to close down the juice flow control before opening the top cap otherwise I get serious flooding.
I'll likely do a rebuild this evening. All the dry hits got the coil a bit burnt and nasty. I thought I'd stick it out another day to see if I got a working setup before popping a new build on there.

When this thing works it works well and the flavor is just amazing. I'm still super happy with my purchase. A bit of a learning experience but that is half of the fun (as long there is progress).

@aktorsyl, you are not the only one that is cursed.
I'm on my 3rd rebuild for the day and I can not get this thing right.
It really is finicky. I've under-wicked, over-wicked ... in between. I'm not getting a satisfactory experience from it today :|

@aktorsyl, you are not the only one that is cursed.
I'm on my 3rd rebuild for the day and I can not get this thing right.
It really is finicky. I've under-wicked, over-wicked ... in between. I'm not getting a satisfactory experience from it today :|
I'd like to describe myself as generously overwicked.
But my RTA's too, most of the time.

On a serious note (me, serious? gosh).. I'm sorry you're struggling too :( Right now the Ammit is sitting next to the Engine on my desk wondering why it's being left out of the fun. The Skyclone is pointing at them and laughing. But it can laugh all it wants, I know myself and it's only a matter of time until it also dry hits like a Detroit drug dealer.

I'd like to describe myself as generously overwicked.
But my RTA's too, most of the time.

On a serious note (me, serious? gosh).. I'm sorry you're struggling too :( Right now the Ammit is sitting next to the Engine on my desk wondering why it's being left out of the fun. The Skyclone is pointing at them and laughing. But it can laugh all it wants, I know myself and it's only a matter of time until it also dry hits like a Detroit drug dealer.
At the least the Skyclone is behaving (for now) :)

What feels like attempt #99 for the day seems to be successful. I've cleared out 2 tanks at quite a rapid pace and I haven't had the faintest hint of a dry hit.
Here is an image of the (almost) final product:
kVKJ70c.jpg

I did cut the wick ever so slightly shorter and also a little bit narrower.
I will try and reproduce the results first time around with the next build but what I essentially ended up with is flattening the wick and cutting it straight (about the width if the juice ports).
I'm now getting such nice flavor off of it and I can pull for days without a dry hit. It makes a nice fat bubble with every pull, swapping to the other port every so often.

At the least the Skyclone is behaving (for now) :)

What feels like attempt #99 for the day seems to be successful. I've cleared out 2 tanks at quite a rapid pace and I haven't had the faintest hint of a dry hit.
Here is an image of the (almost) final product:
kVKJ70c.jpg

I did cut the wick ever so slightly shorter and also a little bit narrower.
I will try and reproduce the results first time around with the next build but what I essentially ended up with is flattening the wick and cutting it straight (about the width if the juice ports).
I'm now getting such nice flavor off of it and I can pull for days without a dry hit. It makes a nice fat bubble with every pull, swapping to the other port every so often.
Man, if that last attempt works, you're doing it again on VIDEO. Step by step. You can sing too, if you like, but that's it - it's not that type of video.

Man, if that last attempt works, you're doing it again on VIDEO. Step by step. You can sing too, if you like, but that's it - it's not that type of video.
How about a detailed sequence of pictures?
I'd be more than happy to share the step-by-step black magic that it takes to get this puppy playing nice! :D
Let's first see if I can reliably reproduce the results though.

Just fired up the 4th tank. Vaping hard ... for science!

How about a detailed sequence of pictures?
I'd be more than happy to share the step-by-step black magic that it takes to get this puppy playing nice! :D
Let's first see if I can reliably reproduce the results though.

Just fired up the 4th tank. Vaping hard ... for science!
For science!

You guys are awesome. Love this thread. Hehe

Sent from my Note 4

Back