Serpent RTA

Lol, no real ambition on my part

Just that I wanted to do a parallel because I do them often in my RM2s
And I dont have that Ni80 wire that Ollie and them use so I thought let me try SS
It was too low in my opinion. Would not vape that on one of my mechs.
Feels pretty dumb vaping it at 25 Watts.
Anyhow - should have rather gone for something more basic

One thing i have found is that I like crisp vapes and I notice they tend to come from thinner wire. Maybe I will try 28g next.
Also like my fruity and menthol juices crisp, will also try my next built moving to 28g.

Super @acorn , lets let each other know how it goes on that front

I can't decide if I like my Serpent or not, it's very airy and the flavour is great but there's just something about it that makes me pick one of my other tanks. Maybe it's the single coil thing because I'm used to dual coils setups. I find the vape to be quite sharp, not quite as light and fluffy as I would like. @Silver, maybe this tank will work for your fruits because of that "edginess". Try a twisted 26g build at 2.5mm, it's not quite as hot as the parallel and I think the flavour off a twisted coil is much better, parallel seems to work better if you're after cloud density. I like my desserts so this tank usually ends up back in the standby drawer.

I can't decide if I like my Serpent or not, it's very airy and the flavour is great but there's just something about it that makes me pick one of my other tanks. Maybe it's the single coil thing because I'm used to dual coils setups. I find the vape to be quite sharp, not quite as light and fluffy as I would like. @Silver, maybe this tank will work for your fruits because of that "edginess". Try a twisted 26g build at 2.5mm, it's not quite as hot as the parallel and I think the flavour off a twisted coil is much better, parallel seems to work better if you're after cloud density. I like my desserts so this tank usually ends up back in the standby drawer.

Thanks @BumbleBee
That sharpness you mention makes my ears prick up!
Am looking forward to experimenting more with the Serpent to see what it can do for me.

Here's something else - you are not going to believe it - i tried temp control for the first time!
Put the cuboid on temp mode SS316 and tried it
Got it now on 25 Watts and 215 degrees C
Its actually quite nice the way it regulates it ;-)

Hilarious that I havent tried temp control on one of my own builds before.

Haha

Thanks @BumbleBee
That sharpness you mention makes my ears prick up!
Am looking forward to experimenting more with the Serpent to see what it can do for me.

Here's something else - you are not going to believe it - i tried temp control for the first time!
Put the cuboid on temp mode SS316 and tried it
Got it now on 25 Watts and 215 degrees C
Its actually quite nice the way it regulates it ;-)

Hilarious that I havent tried temp control on one of my own builds before.

Haha
Oh WoW!! Well done! :clap:

Once you get the hang of TC it's actually pretty cool :zplayita:

Finally got round to setting up my Serpent after many weeks

Did a 6 double wrap paracoil with 26g SS. A first for me. 2.5mm ID. Came out at 0.19 ohms. My gosh. That's the lowest ohm coil I have made.

Thanks to @Oliver Barry. I followed his coil and wick video. Without that I probably would have failed.

View attachment 50818

All wicked and ready to go.

Just couldn't figure out which way to turn the top to close off the juice flow. The manual says to 'up the juice hole' or to 'down' it. Anyway it worked and I am Vaping it on the cuboid. If anyone knows which way to open and close juice flow please let me know. Lol.

Am using Paulie's Guava. Too warm at 40-50 watts. So am going lower at 20-30 or so. It's very nice but I am not used to it. All new to me. But lots of Vapour.

It buffets quite a lot in there. Lol. Maybe my coil was a bit too low? I tried to pull it up a bit once tied down but it wouldn't budge.

View attachment 50819

Tagging @Maxxis because I bought it from Lung Candy. So far so good.
@Silver, beautiful build. One of my favourite tanks. Lots if flavour and a beautiful vape.

Thanks @Petrus. Much appreciated.

Wow @MoneymanVape - thats a great looking build !
Very low resistance!
How does it vape?
At what power are you vaping it?
Vapes awsum☺That was actually believe it or not my first flat twisted and first duel fused claptons. Statted off with fused clapton build and decided to add the flat twisted and paired them. Ddnt nead to vape it at very hight watts around 30. Ramp up was not that bad

So finally took the plunge and bought the Serpent, however, I am massively disappointed, you cant take more then 2 hits without there being a horrible dry hit, gone through every google/youtube setup and still same issue...

Could the type of cotton make a difference, using the cotton that came with the tank for now?

Also, the tank leaks something terrible, even with the juice flow shut off.

So finally took the plunge and bought the Serpent, however, I am massively disappointed, you cant take more then 2 hits without there being a horrible dry hit, gone through every google/youtube setup and still same issue...

Could the type of cotton make a difference, using the cotton that came with the tank for now?

Sorry to hear about your troubles @yobbo
Perhaps take a picture of your build and wick area and some of the folk experienced with the Serpent can maybe give you some advice.

I have one myself but haven't used it much. Got lucky I suppose on my first build following @Ollie's Youtube video tutorial (check out Ollie's thread in the Reviewers section). I built it with Stainless steel wire and did not use their wicking material - I used Jap Cotton I think. No dry hits and no leaking. At least that was my initial experience.

PS - welcome to the forum
When you get a chance, feel free to introduce yourself here:
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/introduce-yourselves.t24/page-335#post-361382

Thanks Silver,

Well here is the build, didnt do anything fancy, just a small coil, coming in at 0.58 vaping at 20W.

Attachments

• WP_20160429_11_46_46_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160429_11_46_46_Pro.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 56
  • WP_20160429_11_46_56_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160429_11_46_56_Pro.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 53
  • WP_20160429_11_47_11_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160429_11_47_11_Pro.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 52
Your doing something wrong. I can hit mine up 50w plus and no prob. Wicking is very very inportant. I use dischem cotton but kojan do v2 is better. If you got leaking problems your doing something wrong. Remember befor you fill the tank close the airflow and close the juuce flow. Careful not to mess juice in the inside air chanber. Then just open airflow and open juice flow. I onley unscrew my juiceflow like 1 or 2 turns max and i get NO dry hit whatsoever. Please ask if you need more help. Will post pick of wicking .

Here is the link to @Ollie's video. Worth watching imo.
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/ollies-you-tube-channel.t18920/

Thanks for the video Andre, just a quick question, should I be running the Serpent tank in Power or TC mode, my mod only supports Ni200 and Ti01

@yobbo your wicking is wrong kind sir
Firstly wicks must go a little into juice hole
Secondly all that wick on the side on dec you must trim away
You need more over juice well section than dec section
It's leaking because juice is all escaping out of juice well

Last edited:
U can run Stainless steel in power mode and TC mode
Nickel and TI only in TC mode

Thanks for the video Andre, just a quick question, should I be running the Serpent tank in Power or TC mode, my mod only supports Ni200 and Ti01

U can run Stainless steel in power mode and TC mode
Nickel and TI only in TC mode
The mode you run on is dependent on the type of wire of your coil, not the tank. Thus, as @Blends Of Distinction said, but of course you can also run Kanthal in power mode.

Yep there has to be cotton in the wicking channel. I leave a bit on the deck. Mine has never leaked, it does however "sweat" a little around the air slots, but its minor. I run SS 10 wraps at 3.5mm. Works out around .5 ohm. Never had a dry hit or leak

Would you guys say the Serpent is th ego to single coil tank at the moment? I am looking for a single coil rta to supplement the griffin.

Would you guys say the Serpent is th ego to single coil tank at the moment? I am looking for a single coil rta to supplement the griffin.
The Serpent didn't blow me away, I found the TFV4 Mini better in terms of quality and ease of use, the RCA deck is awesome.

Edit: The OBS Ace has a single RBA deck, this also looks like a serious contender.

Back