Subtank Mini dry hits

Wicked it with Japanese cotton twice. Don't like the taste of it at all, plus I am still getting dry hits. I am thinking maybe it's the 70VG juice. Will open up the channels to see if that helps. Back on commercial coils for now

What joose ?? I vape nana's cream which i think is the thickest around

Wicked it with Japanese cotton twice. Don't like the taste of it at all, plus I am still getting dry hits. I am thinking maybe it's the 70VG juice. Will open up the channels to see if that helps. Back on commercial coils for now

It appears that there are multiple versions of the RBA Base out there and with some the juice channels (not the holes, but the actual channels) are smaller than on others, which of course causes dry hits...very annoying and I'm hoping some of the vendors will contact KangerTech and find out about getting replacement RBA bases for those that have the crappy ones. Mine seems fine at 50/50 but I do get some dry hits with Bombies :(

It seems that if you unscrew the RBA base's tube a teeny bit it feeds juice better...might be worth a shot :)

Here is a reddit link of someone commenting on the issue, and here is the source where it was posted :D

a3c412e0533ec51feae65f5e48567de8.jpg

Gen 1 on the bottom and gen 2 on the top .
ab21e2048e4c1ba18a10a93ce3a4097e.jpg

@LandyMan. The top caps are not interchangeable. No fit. So you have a gen 1 rba Base. Confirm that you had to fit the alternate top end to the subtank to get it to work.

I have the top one
Correction, mine seems to be a hybrid. Gen 1 bottom with gen 2 top cap
Unless I've misunderstood Rowan's post, it looks like you have the Gen 2 base with the posts on the side that has the coil suspended between them.

I'm vaping at 30W on mine, factory fitted coil wicked with Rayon using 50/50 juice. Been at it for over a week already without a hint of a dry hit, even chain vaping long drags.

Don't be shy with the rayon, I pack mine fairly tight through the coil and let the tails just touch the deck. Just be sure that once it's wicked and juiced up that you can see light coming through the juice channels.

My channels look the the bottom in the photo, and cap like the top :)
7a90c86fe4332160fbdc67ce17c47e27.jpg

I think it's the 70VG juice with those small channels causing the issues

Rewicked for a last try. If it still gives dry hits, I will try with my wife's 50/50. If that works, clearly it's the thicker juice, and I will have to mod it. If not I just can't wick for sh!t :)
ee7a46f05e28eabf6c4bb5e42329389f.jpg

That last wick works much better. Was stable on 20w then jacked it up to 25w. 4 toots and I can taste it is starting to burn dry. Dremel time :D

@LandyMan, how many seconds does a drag last for, roughly?

Message sent via tapatalk

Around 2 to 2.5 according to the Cloupor Mini
Ok, that's not too long, I thought it might be a factor when chaining.

Ok, that's not too long, I thought it might be a factor when chaining.

@Alex I definitely think it's the thick juice. After starting to taste the burn, I put it down. Standing for about a minute one air bubble came up, and then at about 3 minutes standing another one.

Tested on same wick as my last attempt. 20w and 25w no dry hits. I think we can safely assume that higher VG juices will need to have the channels/intakes altered to prevent dry hits

Nice job @LandyMan :clap:

I do believe this was an oversight on Kanger's part...considering the airflow on this tank how did they not take high VG juices into consideration when designing the RBA base :eek:

It looks like i will have to hack mine as well. Sitting with a 0.6 ohm micro coil it handled it well for about a day then the dry hits started. Might have to rewick it but now anything over 18W and its dry hitting. Dont think i will go as big as Landyman but will have to open up that holes or tear it a new one.

Never had a single dry hit on this atty.... to me the rba base built properly is light years ahead of the occ coils.... i have a 24g build .7ohms vaping around 35 to 40watts and not a single dry hit you can even take higher up the wattage ladder with no issues..... excuse the eyes
116b11aced84268df0fa344c78b580a6.jpg

Never had a single dry hit on this atty.... to me the rba base built properly is light years ahead of the occ coils.... i have a 24g build .7ohms vaping around 35 to 40watts and not a single dry hit you can even take higher up the wattage ladder with no issues..... excuse the eyes
Curious to see your wicking technique for this build bud :) if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Curious to see your wicking technique for this build bud :) if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Now i see... his build and wick is mostly irrelevant as he dremeled the juice intakes.
Of course youre never going to get a dry hit like that; but it doesnt change the part where this RBA base sucks whaleballs without modification.

Now i see... his build and wick is mostly irrelevant as he dremeled the juice intakes.
Of course youre never going to get a dry hit like that; but it doesnt change the part where this RBA base sucks whaleballs without modification.
no dremmel just took a kitchen knife and gave it a few strokes. i thought you guys would see that it needs a bit of opening up

Back