Tips on coils & wick for OBS Engine Nano

aktorsyl

Elite Vaper
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
So I have the Engine Nano, and my first build in it was the pre-supplied fused claptons. The spitback was insane, so I then built a 7-wrap, 3.5mm ID 22g kanthal coil for it. The cotton isn't overly tight in there at the moment. Resistance comes in at around 0.48.

Problem is that the vape feels.. "cold". Even if I up the wattage considerably, the actual vape temperature is hotter but it still feels cold (I have no idea how to describe it, but it's crap). And the coil is making a hissing noise for about 2 seconds or so after I take a puff (I assume it's boiling some juice off the wick or something).

It's pretty bleh, overall. I want to slap a new build in there tonight, but need some pointers. My options are 24g & 22g kanthal. I might have some kanthal clapton wire left (although I cant remember the gauges offhand). I was thinking of lowering the ID to 3mm, and using 24g instead of 22g. This will result in about 5 wraps to get 0.35 ohm or so... only thing that bothers me is that 5 wraps is not a lot of surface area. Unless I space them. Hmm.

Any thoughts? Or experience of what works, given the above options? Would appreciate it!

I think you should be fine with 5 wraps of 24, make sure your cotton is not too loose in the coil or especially the holes, I found that this basically removes the spitback issue. When it's too loose in the holes it soaks up juice too quickly, not enough to leak but enough for spitback.

I'm current running a nichrome flapton at 0.3 and the vape is brilliant, should you want to experiment flapton in the future :)

I think you should be fine with 5 wraps of 24, make sure your cotton is not too loose in the coil or especially the holes, I found that this basically removes the spitback issue. When it's too loose in the holes it soaks up juice too quickly, not enough to leak but enough for spitback.

I'm current running a nichrome flapton at 0.3 and the vape is brilliant, should you want to experiment flapton in the future :)
5 wrap 24g would put me at 0.55 ohm or so, so that should be fine. I narrowed the spitback issue down to the fused claptons the last time (after trying more cotton, then less cotton, then various variations of something in between). I think the supplied premade fused claptons are probably funky.

5 wrap 24g would put me at 0.55 ohm or so, so that should be fine. I narrowed the spitback issue down to the fused claptons the last time (after trying more cotton, then less cotton, then various variations of something in between). I think the supplied premade fused claptons are probably funky.
Any 3mm ID coil is fine but lift the coil so that the top of it is in line with the top of the posts, this should eliminate any spit back, also wick really tight through the coil, not enough to deform the coil but enough to have a good amount of resistance if you pull the tail, then with a pointy tweezer or something sharp comb the tails out till no more cotton comes off it, cut flush with bottom plate of atomizer and gently push wick tails into holes, never adjust the wicks when saturated ir they'll compact too much so do all this while your cotton is dry

So I have the Engine Nano, and my first build in it was the pre-supplied fused claptons. The spitback was insane, so I then built a 7-wrap, 3.5mm ID 22g kanthal coil for it. The cotton isn't overly tight in there at the moment. Resistance comes in at around 0.48.

Problem is that the vape feels.. "cold". Even if I up the wattage considerably, the actual vape temperature is hotter but it still feels cold (I have no idea how to describe it, but it's crap). And the coil is making a hissing noise for about 2 seconds or so after I take a puff (I assume it's boiling some juice off the wick or something).

It's pretty bleh, overall. I want to slap a new build in there tonight, but need some pointers. My options are 24g & 22g kanthal. I might have some kanthal clapton wire left (although I cant remember the gauges offhand). I was thinking of lowering the ID to 3mm, and using 24g instead of 22g. This will result in about 5 wraps to get 0.35 ohm or so... only thing that bothers me is that 5 wraps is not a lot of surface area. Unless I space them. Hmm.

Any thoughts? Or experience of what works, given the above options? Would appreciate it!
I like Captons my self but I agree with you on a smaller I. D.

I like Captons my self but I agree with you on a smaller I. D.
Hm. Well I have 2x28g fused clapton wire, so I guess I could slap a fused clapton in there. Only thing that bothers me is to get 0.35 ohm (or thereabouts) it would only be a 3-wrap coil. That's a VERY narrow coil...

Basically my options are:

28g fused clapton: 3 wraps @ 0.35 ohm
24g kanthal: 4 wraps @ 0.39 ohm
22g kanthal: 6 wraps @ 0.38 ohm

From the above, the 22g makes the most sense. Problem is that 22g kanthal has a ramp-up time that would make Metrorail seem fast. I guess I could go 24g kanthal 5 wraps @ 0.48 ohm, but that's still a hella small coil.

Last edited:
Hm. Well I have 2x28g fused clapton wire, so I guess I could slap a fused clapton in there. Only thing that bothers me is to get 0.35 ohm (or thereabouts) it would only be a 3-wrap coil. That's a VERY narrow coil...

From the above, the 22g makes the most sense. Problem is that 22g kanthal has a ramp-up time that would make Metrorail seem fast. I guess I could go 24g kanthal 5 wraps @ 0.48 ohm, but that's still a hella small coil.
wp_ss_20170531_0011.png

S
Yes, what gauge? Looks like 22, or is it 24?
Sorry have no idée just thought it may help. I am in 2 minds with my Nano using 24gage Ni80 normally 3mm and between 0.5 and 0.6 vaping at 26watts. I am actually considering a Squonker and nice RDA I am getting gatvol for tanks. Have the hadaly but constantly dripping also not for me

S
Sorry have no idée just thought it may help. I am in 2 minds with my Nano using 24gage Ni80 normally 3mm and between 0.5 and 0.6 vaping at 26watts. I am actually considering a Squonker and nice RDA I am getting gatvol for tanks. Have the hadaly but constantly dripping also not for me
Ahh right, thanks! I wonder if 5 wraps with 24g, 3mm would do the trick. Spaced, that is. Just need to get my spacing right, which is easier said than done :p

Ahh right, thanks! I wonder if 5 wraps with 24g, 3mm would do the trick. Spaced, that is. Just need to get my spacing right, which is easier said than done :p
Good luck I am actually on a 2.5mm coil from yesterday just to see if its not better. I must say the not leaking is a big plus.

I suggest getting some different wire. I have been using SS mostly 26g wrapped w/ 36,or 38g I am able to get 6-7 winds on a 3mm rod aprox. .46 ohm working well.22g is not going to get you the type of vape you seek IMHO.

I suggest getting some different wire. I have been using SS mostly 26g wrapped w/ 36,or 38g I am able to get 6-7 winds on a 3mm rod aprox. .46 ohm working well.22g is not going to get you the type of vape you seek IMHO.
Tried a fused clapton (2x28g / 36g), with 4 and a half wraps. Equals out at 0.35 ohm. Only thing is I need about 60W to get a decent vape out of it. Seems high for wattage, is that normal?

(Only thing I dislike about claptons is they make me feel like I'm drowning.. weirdest feeling ever. Feels as if my throat locks up. Strangely enough I've never had that with normal round wire coils)

Last edited:
Tried a fused clapton (2x28g / 36g), with 4 and a half wraps. Equals out at 0.35 ohm. Only thing is I need about 60W to get a decent vape out of it. Seems high for wattage, is that normal?

(Only thing I dislike about claptons is they make me feel like I'm drowning.. weirdest feeling ever. Feels as if my throat locks up. Strangely enough I've never had that with normal round wire coils)
It is all about what works for you, play around and find your vape.the nano can handle the wattage so I say 60w is normal.With the advanced builds so popular these days I find mods with the user pre heat feature helpful in achieving my desired vape.Mods such as Voo Poo Drag, Ijoy Solo any DNA or SX Mini have this feature.

It is all about what works for you, play around and find your vape.the nano can handle the wattage so I say 60w is normal.With the advanced builds so popular these days I find mods with the user pre heat feature helpful in achieving my desired vape.Mods such as Voo Poo Drag, Ijoy Solo any DNA or SX Mini have this feature.
My Predator also has it, just never played around with it yet. I must say that on the same build in the Nano I now tried one of my menthol vapes (only 0.5% menthol, with lychee and strawberry) and it tastes quite good at 45W. No "drowning" sensation either. I think my initial experiences with claptons (when I first got the Nano) made me negative towards it, but I'm trying to overcome that prejudice :p

Microcoils have their place too though, for sure.

Spacing is easy bud, hold a leg of your coil down with your thumb, with your other hand use your nail to grab the 1st wrap on the opposite end of the coil, all this while the coil is around your ID tool, screwdriver or whatever you used to wrap it, strech it out then push it back together, perfect spacing every timeIMG_20170208_212732.jpg

Spacing is easy bud, hold a leg of your coil down with your thumb, with your other hand use your nail to grab the 1st wrap on the opposite end of the coil, all this while the coil is around your ID tool, screwdriver or whatever you used to wrap it, strech it out then push it back together, perfect spacing every timeView attachment 96762
@aktorsyl how's things going with the Nano. I am now on day 5 with 2.5mm Ni80 vaping @ 26watts. And for me it seems to work flavour is good and its very quiet. Maybe its my wicking that came right. Will probably try a 3mm coil again but for now I stick to 2.5mm.

@aktorsyl how's things going with the Nano. I am now on day 5 with 2.5mm Ni80 vaping @ 26watts. And for me it seems to work flavour is good and its very quiet. Maybe its my wicking that came right. Will probably try a 3mm coil again but for now I stick to 2.5mm.
Going pretty well... 28/36g fused clapton, 5 wraps @ 2.5mm and it's behaving nicely. No dry hits or hissing :)

I am running a clapton in my Engine Nano (well, now the GF's tank). It spits a little here and there and pops a bit too, I suspect it is more due to the wicking though as I didn't wick it too tight.

Great tank though! Try some NiChrome claptons, that is what I have. I think it was 24g wrapped in 36g or 38g, all nichrome. Decent vape at 32W - 38W and not much ramp up issues.

So I wrapped my coil using the silver screw drivers handle. Looks to be about 5mm. Flavour is really good with a huge coil
20170621_105225.jpg 20170621_105446.jpg

This thing is driving me up the wall. So I have a 2.5mm fused clapton in there (about 0.34 ohm), and I wicked it as the videos etc indicate. Cotton is pretty solid inside the coil (but the coil doesn't warp when you pull the cotton), and then the tips.. about 1mm or so.. of the cotton go into the wicking holes. This resulted in dry hits all over the place.

So I rewicked it.. made the cotton thinner and just rested it on top of the wicking holes (but it still covers the entire hole surface). That worked for the first half tank or so, and after that it just started with insane spitback and what I call "silent spitback": where you don't hear the spitback or the pop but you just feel an intense burning pain in your mouth all of a sudden. After leaving it for the rest of the night, it settled down because the first 20 or so puffs on it the next day were normal.. and then on puff #21 the spitback started again magically.

At that point the Engine Nano almost ended up in the bin. That was the 4th building attempt (and 8th or so wicking attempt) and no luck. The only thing I can still think of is to make a massively thick wick that jams right there into the coil, but to keep the tails short and just rest it on the wicking holes instead of plugging/tucking it in (as that would cause the dry hits again).

All the reviews say this atty is one of the easiest to wick. I'd like to know how the hell the reviewers arrive at that conclusion :p

Back