Tips on coils & wick for OBS Engine Nano

So to give y'all an update (thank you for all the replies!)

I tried combing the wicks more, I tried shortening them, I tried thinner wick, I tried thicker wick, I tried black magic, nothing worked. So tonight I decided I'm gonna do something new (it's usually at this point that those dear to me leave the room and call a doctor. Or a vet, whichever is on call and has stock of a sedative)

So, I ripped everything out of the deck. Everything. And I built anew. 3mm ID 24ga kanthal, 5 wraps to give about 0.46 ohm. I lifted it to have the top of the coil be level with the top of the posts. And I looked at it, then at the pack of cotton bacon. And I settled on The Method (TM) (patent pending)

So I took a piece of cotton, jammed it through the coil, and cut it at the edge of the outer rim. Combed it out a bit, cut again, and then I went against everything they teach you at school, band camp and the boy scouts classes. I didn't go NEAR the wicking holes. I tucked the cotton underneath the coil. I felt like such a rebel that I proceeded to wear Raybans for the rest of the wicking process. I even put a The Smiths CD on volume level 11. I worked the wick (loosely) under the coil, then just left a bit of space below the coil itself so that the coil doesn't make contact with the tucked part. The wick covers the wicking holes but avoids going in there like I avoid going into a haberdashery.

I ended up with something that looks like Freddy vs Jason vs an RDA vs WTF-IS-THAT-ON-THE-BUILD-DECK. Seriously, it looks disturbing. I wish I had the presence of mind to take a picture, but I was too occupied by putting on a second pair of sunglasses because one wasn't enough at that stage anymore.

Priming the wick was where I noticed the first difference this time round. The juice immediately soaked into the wick and worked its way around to the bottom tucks - after soaking the part going through the coil. I screwed the top part of the tank onto the base while humming the soundtrack of Pulp Fiction, filled it up, and started at 30W.

I did a few tentative puffs, followed by a few longer puffs. I gradually worked my way up to 37W (which is where it still is) and after I felt that the cotton had some time to get used to the idea of being a science experiment, I did longer and longer puffs. I hit that fire button. I hit it hard. The final puff lasted 6 seconds, my lungs filed legal papers and my fan is on strike. But there was no dry hit.

I proceeded to test with long puffs but couldn't get it to dry hit at 40W or 45W. At 0.46 ohm I'm not going above 45W (steam-engine already thinks I'm being hilarious for going above 25W, but steam-engine is a wuss), in fact my sweet spot is around the 37W mark - and for the last couple of hours I haven't had flooding, spitback, or dry hits yet. I haven't refilled the tank yet (which is usually when the drama starts), so time will tell. But this is a better result than i've had with this bloody thing in a month. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

EDIT: The juice I used for the test tonight was Doug's Awesome Sauce. Man, I love this mix. After about 10 days? Dayumn.

Last edited:
Few days later and the dry hits started again. Ho hum.
I have a theory though. Could it be possible that the bubbles formed when juice wicks in are getting trapped below the post deck? Like lodged in the bottom of the wicking holes? That would basically form a barrier and stop any juice from getting to the wick until something dislodges the bubbles.

@aktorsyl try the mentioned solution below.

Also have a look at the picture on the following reddit thread... works for me every time.

Hope you get it right

Hi there guys

Sorry to hijack this post

Could someone tell me what are the original coils that come with the OBS engine ?

I've tried numerous different coils in there , but nothing came close to original one

Thanks

Hi there guys

Sorry to hijack this post

Could someone tell me what are the original coils that come with the OBS engine ?

I've tried numerous different coils in there , but nothing came close to original one

Thanks

Hi @Faraaz
I cant help you but perhaps @Spyro can. If im not mistaken he uses the Obs Engine tanks

Hey there. @Faraaz the original coils were very similar to the coils I use now. They were a 0.3 ohm flattened framed stapled Clapton's. Kanthal A1 - not entirely sure of the out inner and outer gauges.

Personally, I thought the vape was great, but the problem with them was that that they got extremely hot and took a long time to cool down. Unfortunately, this caused my delrin to melt.

Now I use 0.4 ohm non flattened framed stapled Clapton's and I enjoy the vape so much that I invested in 10 pairs.

At 45-55W you'll get a warm vape that you can drag on for quick some time. You'll also have no issues chain vaping as I do.

I can't tell you the inner diameter exactly because they are prebuilt and it doesn't mention that, but they are definitely smaller than 3mm.

Hope this helps.

If you're in Cape Town you're welcome to swing past my place and pick one up to try it out.

Very similar, just not flattened and a lot lighter than the stock coils.1515048243221..jpg 1515048302415..jpg

thanks @Silver

thanks @Spyro, i really appreciate it, i also had the same problem it was heating up too much, i am however trying coils like crazy and im getting too much popping etc

i have one on my smok stick battery (35-55w) for up and about and one on my voopoo drag , that one i sometimes go upto 80w

i wish i was nearer lol im in klerksdorp (1200km) away

however i appreciate your help, where do you buy those coils from ?

thanks @Silver

thanks @Spyro, i really appreciate it, i also had the same problem it was heating up too much, i am however trying coils like crazy and im getting too much popping etc

i have one on my smok stick battery (35-55w) for up and about and one on my voopoo drag , that one i sometimes go upto 80w

Not a problem! I find very little popping from these coils, although the popping is present you won't get any spitback. Which is a huge factor for me.
They go for R101 for a set of 5 from cock n bull. Vape Africa also sells them but you can buy in singles. I've never used their website though so I don't know of it will be easy to find them online.

Not a problem! I find very little popping from these coils, although the popping is present you won't get any spitback. Which is a huge factor for me.
They go for R101 for a set of 5 from cock n bull. Vape Africa also sells them but you can buy in singles. I've never used their website though so I don't know of it will be easy to find them online.

Not a problem ill figure that out, i appreciate putting me in the right direction , thanks once again

thanks @Silver

I'm a big OBS fan,Engine, Mini ,Nano also the Crius. I make my own fused Claptons with 26 or 27g cores wrapped with 38 to 41g S.S. 3.0m.m. i.d. I get a nice flavorful vape, not too hot but comfortably warm the way I like it.

I've never built before , only pre built coils , however I bought a roll of 24g ni80

I twisted the wire with about 7 wraps , totally new with no tools , wrapped it around a screwdriver but the coils turned out to be big and so it takes time to ramp up

Faster ramp up would be less and smaller wraps ?

I'm a big OBS fan,Engine, Mini ,Nano also the Crius. I make my own fused Claptons with 26 or 27g cores wrapped with 38 to 41g S.S. 3.0m.m. i.d. I get a nice flavorful vape, not too hot but comfortably warm the way I like it.

I've never built before , only pre built coils , however I bought a roll of 24g ni80

I twisted the wire with about 7 wraps , totally new with no tools , wrapped it around a screwdriver but the coils turned out to be big and so it takes time to ramp up

Faster ramp up would be less and smaller wraps ?
@Faraaz I would suggest untwisted coil with 24g.Its too thick for twisted.Better still try a higher gauge,my go to is 26g. You will get a quicker ramp up.Stay with it it will become 2nd nature and you'll be able to dial in your perfect vape in no time.

@Faraaz I would suggest untwisted coil with 24g.Its too thick for twisted.Better still try a higher gauge,my go to is 26g. You will get a quicker ramp up.Stay with it it will become 2nd nature and you'll be able to dial in your perfect vape in no time.
That's ni80 ? I'm going to fit in a simple build and see how it goes

Thanks

Hi, I have done a simple 7 wrap 3mm build , must say much better and faster ramp up , however it's reading at 0.24 I would like a warmer vape (I think lower ohms) ?

Could you assist , thanks

Hi, I have done a simple 7 wrap 3mm build , must say much better and faster ramp up , however it's reading at 0.24 I would like a warmer vape (I think lower ohms) ?

Could you assist , thanks

What power you vaping it on @Faraaz ?
Maybe try upping the power a bit?

What power you vaping it on @Faraaz ?
Maybe try upping the power a bit?
On 45w , will try upping it and see

Reason my head is spinning , I met a guy at a vape shop over the weekend who let me try his , it was a dripper though and he told me he has a low ohm and was Vaping on 50w , could it be different because it was a dripper ?

On 45w , will try upping it and see

Reason my head is spinning , I met a guy at a vape shop over the weekend who let me try his , it was a dripper though and he told me he has a low ohm and was Vaping on 50w , could it be different because it was a dripper ?

The RTAs can lead to cooler vapes than a dripper becsuse the coil is usually further away from your mouth.

If your coil is 0.24 ohms I would imagine you could be vaping it at around 50-65 Watts. Try up the power a bit and see if the wicking keeps up and if it gets warmer

I am not familiar with the builds on the OBS engine though so maybe someone can advise you on an alternative coil. But in general, if you want more heat you need to increase the power.

The RTAs can lead to cooler vapes than a dripper becsuse the coil is usually further away from your mouth.

If your coil is 0.24 ohms I would imagine you could be vaping it at around 50-65 Watts. Try up the power a bit and see if the wicking keeps up and if it gets warmer

I am not familiar with the builds on the OBS engine though so maybe someone can advise you on an alternative coil. But in general, if you want more heat you need to increase the power.
Maybe I need to invest in a dripper , just hate the fact that I'm in the car all day and it makes dripping difficult

Any advice on a squonker?

Maybe I need to invest in a dripper , just hate the fact that I'm in the car all day and it makes dripping difficult

Any advice on a squonker?

I only have experience with the Reo squonker which is mechanical
Its a great mod and very durable.

There are quite a few regulated squonkers coming out these days.
Check out the Hotcig RSQ, a lot of folk seem to like it

I only have experience with the Reo squonker which is mechanical
Its a great mod and very durable.

There are quite a few regulated squonkers coming out these days.
Check out the Hotcig RSQ, a lot of folk seem to like it
Thanks for the help , will do some research on that

Hopefully someone could help me out on the OBS

@Moey_Ismail , would you be able to advise @Faraaz on a coil for a hotter vape on the OBS Engine Nano?

@Faraaz, have you had a look at this whole thread from the beginning? Some great looking builds in it.

Actually no I haven't

Typical me asking things when the answer is probably in front of me

Probably the excitement from thinking it's too difficult to build and it's actually really simple
@Moey_Ismail , would you be able to advise @Faraaz on a coil for a hotter vape on the OBS Engine Nano?

@Faraaz, have you had a look at this whole thread from the beginning? Some great looking builds in it.
ually

Actually no I haven't

Typical me asking things when the answer is probably in front of me

Probably the excitement from thinking it's too difficult to build and it's actually really simple

ually

No dont worry @Faraaz
I know what you mean about the excitement

If there is a way to get the right temp on that OBS we will find it for you.

By the way, are you building a single or dual coil?

Haha the excitement was unreal

I went looking for a prebuilt coil and the guy takes out the roll of wire and sends me a link to a video and says that's exactly what you looking for , maybe just to get me of his back haha

Turns out that's not the coil I was looking for but atleast one step ahead of building my own

Dual coil and I'm using a voopoo drag mod

Back