Tips on coils & wick for OBS Engine Nano

Sorry to hear about your struggle @aktorsyl , I've had mine for a few weeks and I find the wicking pretty easy. Currently running a 0.3 ohm Ni80 Fused Clapton. I have the wick rather tight in the coil, then I thin out the tails quite a bit, stuff them into the wick holes so they almost touch the bottom. The wick is not at all tight in the holes, almost looks like it might not be enough, but when it's juiced up it works perfectly. I change the wick every week or so.

Could you post a pic of your build and wicking?

Some pics of the last build (the one described in the post) here:

wG7vtHZ.jpg

lEK4VQ1.jpg

AQZYhIv.jpg

r7C7DYr.jpg

I can't see anything obvious that's wrong, I'll do a rewick tonight and take some photos, maybe we can compare and see if we can figure this out.
The only difference between our wicking methods seem to be that you have the cotton tails running far down into the wicking holes. Mine just covers the wicking holes. When I had mine go down into the holes (all the way through, with a very short piece sticking out of the bottom of the plate but not quite touching the juice well's bottom) I had popping and dry hits.

The only difference between our wicking methods seem to be that you have the cotton tails running far down into the wicking holes. Mine just covers the wicking holes. When I had mine go down into the holes (all the way through, with a very short piece sticking out of the bottom of the plate but not quite touching the juice well's bottom) I had popping and dry hits.

Lift your coil so that the top of the coil is in line with the top of the post, this should eliminate the popping.
Also I'd go with a 3mm id coil.
Your wick seems a bit short, density seems fine though, place your scissor flush against the base and snip, with the coil height described, this length should be perfect.

Lift your coil so that the top of the coil is in line with the top of the post, this should eliminate the popping.
Your wick seems a bit short, density seems fine though, place your scissor flush against the base and snip, with the coil height described, this length should be perfect.
Thanks, I'll definitely try raising the coil!
As for the wick - I tried 3mm before this with the scissor level on the base exactly as you described. The result was a lot of thick cotton stuffed into the wicking hole.. which looked fine but I got tons of dry hits. Or should I just let it rest on top of the hole?

Thanks, I'll definitely try raising the coil!
As for the wick - I tried 3mm before this with the scissor level on the base exactly as you described. The result was a lot of thick cotton stuffed into the wicking hole.. which looked fine but I got tons of dry hits. Or should I just let it rest on top of the hole?
im wicking with a 5mm coil just fine. Maybe your wick is too tight through the coil thats why you getting dry hits even tho your cotton is saturated on the ends

im wicking with a 5mm coil just fine. Maybe your wick is too tight through the coil thats why you getting dry hits even tho your cotton is saturated on the ends
Hm possibly. How far should the tails go down the wicking holes?

Hm possibly. How far should the tails go down the wicking holes?
When wicking so that the cotton just comes out of the bottom of the juice holes work perfect for me. I also wind 3.5mm or above inner diameter coils.

I would suggest that you use the same thickness of cotton through the coil but combing it out a lot more on the ends will help.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

When wicking so that the cotton just comes out of the bottom of the juice holes work perfect for me. I also wind 3.5mm or above inner diameter coils.

I would suggest that you use the same thickness of cotton through the coil but combing it out a lot more on the ends will help.

Hm.. so at 3.5mm, 5 wraps of 24ga kanthal should equal about 0.56ohm or so. I'll try that tomorrow - the only issue I had before with 3mm and above ID is that the cotton really packs that wicking hole pretty tight.

In contrast, I think my relatively little experience with wicking is also a problem - when I comb the cotton out, I end up thinning it by almost half with all the strands & fluff coming out.

Wait, which base? The outermost one?

Wait, which base? The outermost one?
Correct the outer most base, and put your cotton into the 3mm coil snug but not too snug and comb the tails with a pick, then cut the fuzzy ends off, through the coil it'll be thick to avoid spitback and the tails will be thin enough to avoid dry hits

Feedback on tonight's rebuild:

Built a 24ga kanthal spaced coil, 5 wraps with 3mm ID. Coil is level with the top of the posts. Wicked as described above - thick and solid through the coil, with combed-out tails cut at the outermost edge. Gently tucked them into the wicking holes, with a tiny bit protruding from the bottom of the post deck.

No dry hits but unfortunately after about 10 or so puffs when I refilled it (the tank wasn't 100% full when I started)... spitback all over the place. After burning my mouth (again) I put it down. Then decided I don't actually want to see it so I put the tank in the closet. I don't get it, man. In the month that I've had this thing, I couldn't get it to work.

Feedback on tonight's rebuild:

Built a 24ga kanthal spaced coil, 5 wraps with 3mm ID. Coil is level with the top of the posts. Wicked as described above - thick and solid through the coil, with combed-out tails cut at the outermost edge. Gently tucked them into the wicking holes, with a tiny bit protruding from the bottom of the post deck.

No dry hits but unfortunately after about 10 or so puffs when I refilled it (the tank wasn't 100% full when I started)... spitback all over the place. After burning my mouth (again) I put it down. Then decided I don't actually want to see it so I put the tank in the closet. I don't get it, man. In the month that I've had this thing, I couldn't get it to work.
Sorry about that man, it's an awesome tank once you get the hang of it, I'll rewick mine tomorrow and post a step by step guide with pics

If you fill your tank when it's not empty you will get slight spit back for the first few pulls because opening the juice cap releases the air lock so it will basically suck up extra juice into the cotton .

If you fill your tank when it's not empty you will get slight spit back for the first few pulls because opening the juice cap releases the air lock so it will basically suck up extra juice into the cotton .
Yup, but we're not talking slight spitback here, it's like a firehose of agony and it doesn't stop after a few pulls :p You can sometimes even hear the juice gurgling and boiling, which to me indicates a flooded coil.

Yup, but we're not talking slight spitback here, it's like a firehose of agony and it doesn't stop after a few pulls :p You can sometimes even hear the juice gurgling and boiling, which to me indicates a flooded coil.
Lol So it means you don't have enough covering the wicking holes. Hence why go with a big coil. then it allows you to wick so that your cotton goes into the wicking whole and some placed on top of the wicking whole around the deck

Lol I don't know what's going on. The same setup that had crazy spitback last night, now has dry hits. But to the point where you can even feel that there's no vapour in the draw. And that's with extremely combed out cotton tails gently placed in the wicking holes.
I'm beginning to wonder if there's something structurally wrong with my particular tank. That causes a vacuum or something.

@aktorsyl try open the fill cap and see if there are any bobbles coming from the bottom.

Yup, just not sure if it's slow wicking or whether it's me opening the juice fill holes

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@aktorsyl Comb out the cotton a bit more the next time you wick. Also remember that the first couple of hits are never perfect. Actually takes half to full tank of vaping for the coil / wick to settle in before it performs at it's best. For me the first couple of hits are always 'wild' as the coil seems to fire hotter than after settling in. Just start from a lower wattage. Don't give up / stop trying. The Engine nano is an awesome RTA. Trick is to keep on practicing till you get it perfect to your liking and believe me you'll get there. Nobody recoiled / wicked perfectly the first time. ;)

Back